What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
Posted: Jun 11, 2016 at 0:56 Quote
Day at a small up lifted bike park last week, same group of guys in the van, by the end of the day one with Guides had the lever pulling all the way to the bar, one with Deore had lever pulling to the bar, one with Avids had lever pump and more or less lock on, I was glad to be on Zee that stayed working perfectly all day.

Posted: Jun 11, 2016 at 1:22 Quote
Zee are pretty damn bullet proof, Smile

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 9:18 Quote
Got shimano saint on 180mm rotors

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 9:32 Quote
Will be running my Saint m820s again this year on my big bike, hoping this latest bleed lasts more than 3 days before they become inconsistent.
I have a feeling that Hope V4s or Formula R0s are in my near future

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 13:19 Quote
thereisnospoon wrote:
Will be running my Saint m820s again this year on my big bike, hoping this latest bleed lasts more than 3 days before they become inconsistent.
I have a feeling that Hope V4s or Formula R0s are in my near future
Are you running the ice tech stuff?

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 14:51 Quote
Has anyone ever used the Uberbike finned 203 rotors and pads?

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 15:36 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:

yup
finned pads and ice tech rotors
I spoke with Quintin and Chris over @ Calgary Cycle, and they told me that the m820s need regular bleeds/fluid changes to keep being awesome. far more than any of my old brakes, and enough that some of the guys have switched over to Guides (which aren't perfect either).
One guy here recommended not touching any of the adjustments after a fresh bleed, as it helps keep air out of the system. going to try that and see if I see if helps.

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 15:43 Quote
My m820s are as good as the day they fully bedded in on the original bleed, know a few other people who say the same. Maybe once you've rebled them they get finicky but from New they seem better than anything else I've tried apart from hope.

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 16:08 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
My m820s are as good as the day they fully bedded in on the original bleed, know a few other people who say the same.

Same here. After I shorthened the hoses I only burped and toped them. I play with the reach adjustment all the time. Never touched the free stroke adjustment tho.

Power, Consistency, Modulation.... all the way, all day long.

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 20:46 Quote
thereisnospoon wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

yup
finned pads and ice tech rotors
I spoke with Quintin and Chris over @ Calgary Cycle, and they told me that the m820s need regular bleeds/fluid changes to keep being awesome. far more than any of my old brakes, and enough that some of the guys have switched over to Guides (which aren't perfect either).
One guy here recommended not touching any of the adjustments after a fresh bleed, as it helps keep air out of the system. going to try that and see if I see if helps.
Right on. Not going to disagree with those gents. I'm going on season 3 on the factory bleed without any real issue. Frequent top ups though

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 21:09 Quote
Yeah, I need to invest in a bleed cup

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 21:18 Quote
thereisnospoon wrote:
Yeah, I need to invest in a bleed cup
We stock them at cc!

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 21:39 Quote
I'll be dropping in after work sometime this week to pick one up

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 6:36 Quote
Little different setup on my bikes:
DH bike has Avid Code R, love theese!
Freeride/dh bike has shimano zee
Freeride HT bike has Shimano m585 (i think)

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 12:52 Quote
Originally had M800 Saint brakes then switched to Shimano Zee brakes. Power delivery is definitely different with modulation being fairly easy with them now. Just something to get use to after running 2 piston for so long.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012014
Mobile Version of Website