single speed or multispeed

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
single speed or multispeed
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 21:38 Quote
i am just getting into mtb andi dont know if i shoud get a single speed or not... i currently ride a bmx bike with a 28-10 ratio....i will probably ride street and park and a little trails........btw i am currently looking at a canondale chase, giant stp, specialized p1, and some others any suggestions or input will be great
Smile

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 4:53 Quote
i personally say go for single speend. its less hastle. maybe be a bit tougher in the trails just make sure ur not doing alot of up hills

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 5:02 Quote
Go single speed
The amount of money i've spent replacing gears when i trash them, when i didnt really need them is mad.

Single speed is the way forward!

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 5:16 Quote
Single Speed Pros:

Cheaper
Lighter
Doesn't Fall Off
Derauiller Doesn't Break
Doesn't Skip

Single Speed Cons:

Can't Climp
Get Tired XC

I say SS. I switched from 28 Speed to 16 Speed to SS. SO much better, so little hassle.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 5:18 Quote
oath. go single speed. have a look at the new scott voltage yz0 limited too. its pretty damn sexy

FL
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 10:48 Quote
Considering your back ground and the kind of riding you're looking forward to doing....go single speed.

It's less to brake and you really don't need the gears for riding street or park. Just increases the chances you skip a tooth, drop a chain or even worse get chain suck.

I'd get a good SS set up and some kind of bash guard/chain tensioner. Brain isn't quite functioning right now...sorry for the lack of terms. E13 is a good company to look over. Paul makes a killer SS set up.

Or if you go with something like the chase or STP you can order them that way.

I'm actually looking at replacing my DS bike with an SS STP.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 14:44 Quote
hey... thnx 4 the help can u list some good SS bikes around the 8-900 range plz or if you have ne post em up

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 14:46 Quote
btw... if i wanted to is there any way to swithe to multi speed??

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 14:47 Quote
a decent ss in your price range would def be the P1. you had the right idea. if you're looking for better componentry (not refering to shifting equipment) i'd go with a P2 or a Chase (the Chase 4 comes as a ss, the other models do not) or even a Kona Scrap (the Stuff is a model up but starts at $999) and simply make the conversion to ss...hope this helped.

p.s. check out my P2. its an older model but i did the conversion myself so i can probably answer and questions you have.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 14:54 Quote
jacobk wrote:
btw... if i wanted to is there any way to swithe to multi speed??

yes you can switch to multispeed, but only if you buy a frame that has a wide enough rear dropout. for example, the P1 and the Chase 4 cannot be multispeed bikes. however, the P2 or the Kona can...anything else i can help with?

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 14:57 Quote
if i buy a multispeed how do i switch to a SS

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 15:03 Quote
if you were to do it yourself you'd need to have several tools. but any shop would do it for you. its a simple conversion kit and whatever installation fee they'd charge you. shouldn't be too much $. basically the process involves removing all shifting componentry (derailuer, cassette, shifter, etc) and putting a cog on with spacers in place of the cassette. and adding a ss chain, of course. thats it in short. i guarentee that once you go ss tho you'll never wanna go back.

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 4:49 Quote
DMR make a nice conversion kit. I got it an never had any problems with it. Love it to bits, much better for gears in park and street however XC has become killer but hey.

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 6:10 Quote
single speed u dont have to worry of droping ur bike and angling ur derailer it was the best upgrade i eva made

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 6:36 Quote
it looks lush and makes your whole bike feel solid,its cheap and you can customise, change it and stuff, im gunu spray mine white and im runing a tiny 12 tooth cog on the back. lush

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007981
Mobile Version of Website