Stuck disc???

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Stuck disc???
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 8:23 Quote
i need to get my old disc off of my hub to put a new, 203mm one on as i have just got new brakes.

The bolts that are holding the old ones on use allen keys but they are curculer because they have been worn away...?

how can i get them off...???

please help....Salute

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 8:31 Quote
mccaw wrote:
i need to get my old disc off of my hub to put a new, 203mm one on as i have just got new brakes.

The bolts that are holding the old ones on use allen keys but they are curculer because they have been worn away...?

how can i get them off...???

please help....Salute

i dont think that you were suppose to use allen keys..all the bolts that i have delt with have been torx(as far as rotors go)

the way that i would do it is to use an easy out, and it should drive the screw out

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 8:36 Quote
i had the same problem...if the bolts are raised ones and not the rounded ones...tap an 8mm ring spanner on to it ....!

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 8:59 Quote
drill them out, i had to once

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 10:34 Quote
take a dremmal tool cut a slot for a flathead screwdriver into the bolt head and shazam should back right out.

worst case and a pain in the ass drill out the whole bolt. The above has always worked for me.

like someone else mentioned rotor bolts are suppose to be torx. common for the home mechanic to use an allen key set whic stripes he inerds fairly quick.

good luck

kucebags out!

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 20:25 Quote
You know those things you can buy at Canadian Tire that remove stiped scews that should work.

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 20:29 Quote
lube them with wd 40 or something similar, let it sit over night, then go buy a set of torx bits. tap/pound a torx bit in stright using a hammer so it makes its own grooves. then take them out...then get new bolts/screws

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 23:34 Quote
I HAVE HAD TO DRILL OUT MY BACK WHEEL AND FRONT . IT SUCKED

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 10:53 Quote
mrbigg wrote:

Oh really? How did you drill your wheel out? I'd be happy to hear.

First off, you should be using Torx, not Allen keys. So, get yourself some high-quality Torx-keys. It's really easy to screw up the bolts holding the discs.

1. You could try using a larger size Allen/Torx, and tap it in.
2. You could use a hacksaw/dremmel and make a slot to fit a regular screwdriver.
3. You could drill the whole bolt out.
4. You could use (something I believe is called) punch driver.

And do not re-use the bolts.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 11:00 Quote
there is already a thread on this and they decided to use easy outs. USE THEM. end of story

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 15:12 Quote
torx bolts tend to suck major ass for me, i dont know why but ive only ever been able to get one disc off with out having the bolt f*ck up. Is due to a poor quality torx bolt key or just poor bolts or bad lucky ? i find huge allen keys a god send, i hate the little ones because they thread instantly.
but easy out like the guy said, but in the UK i havent found that and i would advise the creating a flat head screwdriver aproach, just makes sure you make the slot big enough otherwise you'll screw up. I messed up with my stem and i had to use a chisel to make flathead holes but that failed so ended up sawing through the gap where you could see the bolt, and now my stem attatches with 2 bolts to the steerer tube instead of 3 haha, the bolt is still in there, in 2 pieces of course!

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 15:14 Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats a tad bit sketchy there

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 17:47 Quote
mikeyboy wrote:
mrbigg wrote:

Oh really? How did you drill your wheel out? I'd be happy to hear.

First off, you should be using Torx, not Allen keys. So, get yourself some high-quality Torx-keys. It's really easy to screw up the bolts holding the discs.

1. You could try using a larger size Allen/Torx, and tap it in.
2. You could use a hacksaw/dremmel and make a slot to fit a regular screwdriver.
3. You could drill the whole bolt out.
4. You could use (something I believe is called) punch driver.

And do not re-use the bolts.

use a drill bit that is a little bigger than the hole, then drill it so the head of the bolt comes off then use plyers to unsrew the bolt

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 2:59 Quote
The bolts are not torx they are allen keys.

my front one was torx and they came out easy
just to let you know

Salute

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010511
Mobile Version of Website