Something in my rim? rattling

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Something in my rim? rattling
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 at 12:25 Quote
hi i have a rear mavic ex325 double wall rim and when i was changing tires there was something moving around it seemed they were big and alot of them i tried moving it so they would come out any tips to get out and to keep from getting in. thanks

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 at 12:29 Quote
check you havnt snapeed a spoke and have the nipple rolling around, thats the only thing i can think of

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 at 12:30 Quote
mayardmtbeames wrote:
check you havnt snapeed a spoke and have the nipple rolling around, thats the only thing i can think of
its basicly brand new bought in august and it hasnt been riden hard

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 at 12:34 Quote
just have a quick check it takes 2 seconds, i manage to snapp spokes all the time dont even know how

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 at 12:35 Quote
i counted all spokes there thank god but it sounds like alot of dirt

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 at 14:04 Quote
could be anything. my mavic ex823 had a few shavings of alum. inside the rim from the threaded eyelets when brand new. would be even easier to get something inside a normal (non-UST) rim. try covering most of the eyelet holes with tape and blow some compressed air inside the rim. anything lose should work it's way out pretty quick.

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 at 14:06 Quote
thats what it sounds like aluminum shavings thanks for you help

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 8:14 Quote
dj4lyfe wrote:
hi i have a rear mavic ex325 double wall rim and when i was changing tires there was something moving around it seemed they were big and alot of them i tried moving it so they would come out any tips to get out and to keep from getting in. thanks
Try and isolate where the lose piece is. If it is near the weld then one or both of the alignment pins have come lose and it is sliding back and forth. Had this happen on a few EX729 rims. Fixed it with some super-glue.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 9:04 Quote
ianjanalex wrote:
dj4lyfe wrote:
Try and isolate where the lose piece is. If it is near the weld then one or both of the alignment pins have come lose and it is sliding back and forth. Had this happen on a few EX729 rims. Fixed it with some super-glue.
its osund like aluminum shaving like the guy above siad

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 9:34 Quote
Hey man, I have had the exact same problem with an MTX.

It is not due to a broken spoke or nipple. With a welded rim (which I am more than sure your ex325 is) they use a metal clip piece to hold the seam together before and during the welding process.

Since it is not actually welded in place, sometimes they become disloged causing a little to even very loud and annoying pinging sound.

You probably won't get it out. Drop a glop of glue (crazy glue or something similar) on and/or around it, it will fix your problem, just don't over apply for obvious reasons. It was actually Dave and Kent from PhatMoose cycles who told me about this.

Hope this helps, let us know if it works. I know many people that have this problem, so I think a thread on it would help many. As I am too busy and have no time, I'll leave it up to someone else to do it if they want.

Cheers,

Spencer

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 9:36 Quote
hardtailpride001 wrote:
Hey man, I have had the exact same problem with an MTX.

It is not due to a broken spoke or nipple. With a welded rim (which I am more than sure your ex325 is) they use a metal clip piece to hold the seam together before and during the welding process.

Since it is not actually welded in place, sometimes they become disloged causing a little to even very loud and annoying pinging sound.

You probably won't get it out. Drop a glop of glue on and/or around it, it will fix your problem, just don't over apply for abvious reasons. It was actually Dave and Kent from PhatMoose cycles who told me about this.

Hope this helps, let us know if it works. I know many people that have this problem, so I think a thread on it would help many. As I am too busy and have no time, I'll leave it up to someone else to do it if they want.

Cheers,

Spencer
thanks but it sort of sounds like little shaving of aluminum or class but thanks anyways man

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 9:42 Quote
Might be, but whatever it is; like me and the aboce guy said.
Super glue it in place, because the nipple holes inside of most rims are extremely small and it's unlikely that you will get it out. Put a light in there and see what it looks like.

I highly doubt that Mavic would have any type of shaving in their rims though. Probably some kind of disloged piece.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 11:46 Quote
hardtailpride001 wrote:
Might be, but whatever it is; like me and the aboce guy said.
Super glue it in place, because the nipple holes inside of most rims are extremely small and it's unlikely that you will get it out. Put a light in there and see what it looks like.

I highly doubt that Mavic would have any type of shaving in their rims though. Probably some kind of disloged piece.
i tried to get it through the tube hole but no success it doesnt really matter rite now but in the summer ill try what you guys have siad

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 12:04 Quote
do it now !!! then you dont have to waste a precious summer hour waiting for glue to dry Blank Stare

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 12:08 Quote
spencer-seventeen wrote:
do it now !!! then you dont have to waste a precious summer hour waiting for glue to dry Blank Stare
it takes like an hour lol and im lazy taking the tire off

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015352
Mobile Version of Website