photo
https://ep1.pinkbike.org/photo/2907/pbpic2907913.jpg

Rocky Mountain - RMX £1,200
photo
https://ep1.pinkbike.org/photo/2895/pbpic2895006.jpg

Giant Glory - £1,200
photo
https://ep1.pinkbike.org/photo/2330/pbpic2330712.jpg

I'm not sure if it's worth spending the extra money on either of the two last ones. What's your opinion?

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 12:03 Quote
I wouldnt even consider the faith, IMO the glory is the best option.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 12:05 Quote
Giant Faith is extremaly tempting at its price! but Glory any day....

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 12:07 Quote
dont even consider the faith...its too bulky and heavy...glory first, rmx second

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 12:11 Quote
They're all nice bikes but buying 2nd hand can seem like a bargain but in the long term it can cost a lot more.

I bought a 2006 specialized enduro in the summer for £750 and, o.k. its an xc bike not DH, and after riding it a few times it was riding really nicely but a few months later it was falling apart. It has cost around £450 just to service and to think what i could have got for £1200 i sort of regret my decision in buying it.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 12:52 Quote
Yeah, the Faith is tempting. Is it really worth the extra £450 for the Glory?

Well, I can't afford a new bike, if I was to get one new, it'd most probably be an 08 Stinky, since they're around this price. I just feel I could get a lot more for my money, you know.

I do see what you mean though...

Thanks so far, guys!

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 3:56 Quote
Better picture of the Faith now.

Really, is it worth spending £450 more?

Is the Faith not good, 'cause I really like the look of it, especially for that price.

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 4:18 Quote
Given those options I would most likely choose the glory, newer and better spec, which would probably make it worth that much more. One way of thinking about it is: If you sold all the parts off it and sold the frame how much would you get for it? Now compare that to the Faith.

If you are constrained by your budget and can't afford the Glory you probably shouldn't have it up in the comparison, otherwise it seems like you're asking weather the Faith is going to be a good bike even though you really want the Glory but can't afford it?

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 6:29 Quote
Frumpy-Housewife wrote:
Given those options I would most likely choose the glory, newer and better spec, which would probably make it worth that much more. One way of thinking about it is: If you sold all the parts off it and sold the frame how much would you get for it? Now compare that to the Faith.

If you are constrained by your budget and can't afford the Glory you probably shouldn't have it up in the comparison, otherwise it seems like you're asking weather the Faith is going to be a good bike even though you really want the Glory but can't afford it?

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, you're right, I am asking if the Faith is a good bike. I can afford the Glory, but it'd be all my money. It all real boils down to one thing, is the Glory worth £450 more than the Faith?

I'm sure I'd be more than happy with the Faith, it'll be a huge jump up from what I have now. Just the Glory seems real tempting...

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 11:51 Quote
I'm leaning more towards the RMX just for the brakes alone and from what I can see in the picture there are many other excellent components.

As for the two Giant's, I'd agree with the earlier comments - the Glory would be the better not to say that the Faith is a bad choice but given the choice between the two I'd for the Glory.

Although I can't tell what brakes he has on that Glory but it does at least has a Fox DHX 5 rear shock and I like that model 888 fork. It doesn't appear that the Faith has the DHX 5 shock but to be honest, I still use the Fox Vanilla RC on my DH/FR bike - I like it much better; simple setup and it works. Smile

I also assume that all three bikes are the correct size?

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 11:58 Quote
rkuhn wrote:
I'm leaning more towards the RMX just for the brakes alone and from what I can see in the picture there are many other excellent components.

As for the two Giant's, I'd agree with the earlier comments - the Glory would be the better not to say that the Faith is a bad choice but given the choice between the two I'd for the Glory.

Although I can't tell what brakes he has on that Glory but it does at least has a Fox DHX 5 rear shock and I like that model 888 fork. It doesn't appear that the Faith has the DHX 5 shock but to be honest, I still use the Fox Vanilla RC on my DH/FR bike - I like it much better; simple setup and it works. Smile

I also assume that all three bikes are the correct size?

Well, I've sort of realised that buying either the RMX or the Glory would be all my money gone. Literally.

The Glory is a small, I'm 5" 10, shouldn't be too much of a problem, but it is on the smaller side.

I'm not sure on the rear shock is on the Faith, I can find out though. Also, the Faith has the same forks as the Glory, just a year or so older, right?

I've figured if I get the Faith, I'll have some money left over to buy anything I mean need, if at all. Or upgrade it in the future. Smile

Thanks for the reply, man!

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 12:09 Quote
Given your height, no bigger than a medium for any of the three bikes. I'm 5' 11" and my DH/FR is a large but I purposely looked for a large frame when I went to build that bike. I'm now in the process of building another DH/FR bike starting with a medium frame.

As for the shock on the Faith, there is no requirement that you have to run a Fox DHX just because everyone else is. It looks from the picture that it's a Fox Vanilla RC which, IMHO, is perfect. And if you're new to rear suspension, that shock is perfect. If anything, you may need to swap out the spring but as far dialing them in it's much easier and simpler than the DHX 5.

I like the DHX and if you know how to tune and setup them they you rarely have to tweak them again. But for someone who is new, it can be frustrating.

Since I assume this will be your first long travel bike, the Faith maybe the best one of the three just because of the price and your budget; the additional money you'd save would allow you to upgrade parts once you get to know the bike. You may find that you don't have to change anything.

Buy what you can afford and like I said earlier, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 12:18 Quote
rkuhn wrote:
Given your height, no bigger than a medium for any of the three bikes. I'm 5' 11" and my DH/FR is a large but I purposely looked for a large frame when I went to build that bike. I'm now in the process of building another DH/FR bike starting with a medium frame.

As for the shock on the Faith, there is no requirement that you have to run a Fox DHX just because everyone else is. It looks from the picture that it's a Fox Vanilla RC which, IMHO, is perfect. And if you're new to rear suspension, that shock is perfect. If anything, you may need to swap out the spring but as far dialing them in it's much easier and simpler than the DHX 5.

I like the DHX and if you know how to tune and setup them they you rarely have to tweak them again. But for someone who is new, it can be frustrating.

Since I assume this will be your first long travel bike, the Faith maybe the best one of the three just because of the price and your budget; the additional money you'd save would allow you to upgrade parts once you get to know the bike. You may find that you don't have to change anything.

Buy what you can afford and like I said earlier, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

I just got a picture of the rear shock off the dude;
photo
https://ep1.pinkbike.org/photo/2909/pbpic2909045.jpg

Yeah, it's my first proper DH bike. I've got a Kona hardtail at the moment. That's exactly what I was thinking, save the money in case I need to upgrade anything on it.

I'm actually, really, really liking the look of the Faith! Big Grin

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 12:31 Quote
A Manitou Swinger shock. Very simple to setup 2 cents ; rebound and preload - no air. Smile

You may find that your first upgrade will either be the shock itself or the spring - probably the spring. But ride it as-is and get a feel for it before making that decision. Beer

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 12:34 Quote
Ah, sweet. Are they good?

Yeah, I'll see how it rides before I buy anything new for it. Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012075
Mobile Version of Website