Which Bike?

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 12:56 Quote
Kornowski wrote:
Ah, sweet. Are they good?

That's a sensitive question. Smile And you'll get mixed replies.

All I can say is that I've been a long time Fox rear shock person. Just because there really wasn't anyone in the market space that had a decent product at the time. And since I'm much more familiar with the Fox I will tend to favor it more.

Manitou, however, was worth looking at when they first came out with their rear shocks and in a short amount of time they've produced a pretty good rear shock.

Same with the brakes - I'm a long time Hayes user but have had others but for serious braking it was always Hayes. Just last year I went to Avid's. This is not to say I think Hayes s*ck, I just found the Avid's to perform better at a price that was attractive. I still believe in Hayes and in all honestly I'd love to get a set of Hope brakes. Smile

I digress...

So this comes down to personal preference one again. My riding buddy runs the Manitou swinger on his '04 Giant AC (I want to say it's the AC-1) and he's never had a complaint with it and he's never had a problem with it. If anything he will swap out the spring to something stiffer.

That shock is a good shock and as mentioned, you'll get people that say they're junk and to upgrade it right away - and they may be right or it could be that the shock was not the right shock for them.

Ride it, see how you like it, and then decide later. It's a good shock and just about all LBS can service it. Springs for it are available so no worries there.

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 13:08 Quote
Wow, detailed reply, thanks a lot!

Well, I've not had any experience with rear shocks so I'm pretty sure anything would be better than my hardtail at the moment. My friend has a pair of Hayes Sole (same as the Faiths I think) and they're pretty good. I can certainly tell the difference over my cable breaks.

I'm sure if it doesn't feel right for any reason, I'll figure out what I can do with the money I've saved.

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 14:09 Quote
Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 16:26 Quote
Sure thing!

One question - the Faith will be up for entering some DH races and some pretty gnarly stuff, right?

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 7:49 Quote
Kornowski wrote:
Sure thing!

One question - the Faith will be up for entering some DH races and some pretty gnarly stuff, right?

It should do fine. Remember the cliche that the bike is only as good as it's rider. Smile

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 18:37 Quote
i'd go glory, but im a dh only man. not the rmx though, sooooo heavy soooooo high up and unstable. i rode an rmx for a day and that was a terrible day. faith is nice but a lil ugly (just my opinion) glory is a winner, sooooo fast soooo fun soooooo nice.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 6:45 Quote
Thanks guys. I ended up going with the Faith, got it for a great price! Big Grin

I've added some pictures to my profile.

photo

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 6:52 Quote
Not trying to bash you, Although the Glory was easily the better option.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 7:06 Quote
Gaz6R4 wrote:

Agreed, but it was also ALL my money and for £700, I don't think the Faith was a bad option at all. I'm pleased with it, it's my first long travel bike. Smile

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 7:08 Quote
Kornowski wrote:
Gaz6R4 wrote:

Agreed, but it was also ALL my money and for £700, I don't think the Faith was a bad option at all. I'm pleased with it, it's my first long travel bike. Smile

Whats the full spec list on the Faith?

I presume you have the money you saved by buying this to upgrade it?

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 7:10 Quote
Here's the spec that was on the 'For Sale'

[Quoten]Giant faith frame
888 rc forks
black spire chain device
Hayes Sole Brakes
Shimano gear shifter
Shimano Deore rear mech
Crankset TruVativ Hussefelt 36 teeth
Pedals TruVativ Holzfeller
Truvativ Bottom Bracket
Seatpost Easton
24 Seven Saddle
Easton Bars
Funn direct mount stem
FSA The Pig DH Pro headset
Hubs Formula
Alex Supra BH rims
Kenda Blue Groove tires[/Quoten]

I have a whole load of pictures on my Profile if it's easier.

I do, but I'd rather not spend it. Since I'll be needing it for more important things like University.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 7:14 Quote
You saved around £500?

You could make it considerably better to ride for about 250.

I would recommend changing out the brakes and the cranks first.

Shimano Saint M810/M815 Cranks would be perfect.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 7:16 Quote
Gaz6R4 wrote:
You saved around £500?

You could make it considerably better to ride for about 250.

I would recommend changing out the brakes and the cranks first.

Shimano Saint M810/M815 Cranks would be perfect.

Yeah, pretty much. I couldn't justify spending £500 more on it.

I'm not planning any upgrades at the moment, I've only just got it today, lol. If I do, however, I'll take that into consideration. Thanks.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 8:25 Quote
well, congrates on your purchase. i hope you have fun on it. there's nothing better than your first long travel bike.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 8:42 Quote
littlisthobbo wrote:
well, congrates on your purchase. i hope you have fun on it. there's nothing better than your first long travel bike.

Thanks a lot man! I'm sure I will Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015138
Mobile Version of Website