Drive my own car or get a custom bike?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Drive my own car or get a custom bike?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
So heres the situation, my parents are willing to buy me all the parts for a custom dj bike (im talking DOB frame, Fox 36 floats, custom wheel builds and all that shnazz) or give me a '00 protege thats in good shape and not very many km on it, I have my g2 so I can drive by myself but we always get into arguments over the car, if you can drive by yourself and have any suggestions help, im not sure what to choose... (currently riding an 05 P.2 with s-types and hollyrollers)

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 13:26 Quote
im sorta in the same situatuin id get the the custim bike and share the car with your parents if their buying you the bike or whatever you need more

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 13:29 Quote
i have my own car its a heap of junk but my bike lives in the back of it all i use it for is going to ride. if i wanna ride i can just jump in with a mate and go ride. its a great tool and because of it ive had to slowly build up my bike part by part. but imo it was the better way as im always riding new things and meeting new people. and it has kept riding emensly fun.

hope that helps

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 13:31 Quote
well is there decent enough riding in ur town to keep u goin inbetween trips? bike
if there isnt . car

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 13:35 Quote
bike all the way mate! car cost tooo much after a while. and driving is sometimes a chor!
but i agree with the scot^^^^^

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 13:35 Quote
Having a car is freedom - owning my own car effectively got me into mountain-biking as me and my friends could go on trips to places that were out of cycling distance and do proper trails. A car isn't just a tool for mountain biking (though let's face it, that's the main use Big Grin ) being able to go wherever you want, when you want is awesome. On the flip side, you're a dirt jumper, so if where you ride is in riding distance, maybe a car isn't such a priority.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 13:45 Quote
well i do have my own jumps down the street from me, but my gf lives like a 20 minute drive so im inbetween... the car would definitally help me get to some killer djs that are a lil bit to far to bike to though

Mod
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 13:53 Quote
Get your parents to pay for whichever costs more and then work to get the other thing. Or, like said before, you can just borrow your parents' cars whenever. I mean I am sure if you arrange it, you can drop them off at work and offer to pick them up once they are done if you want to drive their car. Also, who is paying for gas, maintenance, and insurance on the car? If that is all up to you, get a bike!

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 13:56 Quote
they are paying insurance, were splitting maintenance and i'm paying gas, it only cost's $40 to fill it up though so its not terrible

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 14:02 Quote
Go for the car bro. It's dope being able to drive anywhere whenever you want.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 14:05 Quote
j0sh22 wrote:
they are paying insurance, were splitting maintenance and i'm paying gas, it only cost's $40 to fill it up though so its not terrible

Well there ya go, you can have your cake and and eat it too! Buying a car takes a lot of money, but if they are giving it to you, and they're paying the insurance, then you can still build a rockin' dj machine

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 14:06 Quote
Thats a hard choice. Either get the car, better to drive to riding spots, and to gf's etc, and gradually build up the bike after, OR go for the bike, and borrow parents car, id personally go for the car, you have a bike to ride for now while saving for your build, the car means you can drive to work (if you have a job), drive to gf's, and have a lot more freedom. Id say go for the car, then build the bike after.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 14:07 Quote
I would take the car over the bike. With a couple months work (which is that much easier to get to with a car) you can bank enough money to get going on a quality custom build. A decent car on the other hand is going to take a lot more cash.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
There's no back seat on a bike. You pickin up what I'm laying down?

Mod
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
Personally, I'd just borrow the car. I mean you always have access to the car when your parents are home from work and when you need it during the day, wake yourself up early enough to drive one of them to work so you can have it for the entire day and then, either pick them up or get the parent with the car to pickup the one whose car you are borrowing. With planning, the day works flawlessly.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010131
Mobile Version of Website