The trend of really wide bars

PB Forum :: Downhill
The trend of really wide bars
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 7:25 Quote
its not a trend, its personal preference!

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 7:41 Quote
Katol wrote:

Its my personal preference to ride what Sam rides.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 7:50 Quote
evilrydr wrote:
Low wide bars aren't really a trend either. People are just realizing that havin low bars will result in a lower stand over height on DH bikes. Being above the rig with lever and control is a lot better than any other combination let it be high and wide. High and narrow. Or low and narrow. All of these mentioned so-called 'trends'. Aren't really trends as oppose to practical realization. It's all for the better. Just like evolving from rim brakes on DH bikes to 2-8 piston hydraulic disc brakes. It's all for the better. And you don't have to use wide bars or flat wide bars on your DH bike. I guess what I'm trying to say is that wide bars are not a trend.

CheersBeer

Your first statement is absolutely correct. Having a low front end is total practical, because its a relationship to how high your BB is. Low BB's on race bikes should mean your front end should drop too. A higher BB and you can play around with your stack height a little.

Funny, in 2000 I was running no spacers, neg rise stem, with a shaved headtube and low rise bar when it wasn't "cool" to do so. EVERYBODY thought that I was nuts for running that set up because the trend was for running a front end as high as you could get with super high and narrow bars. My bars were 28" and people thought I was nuts.

From then until now, bars have gotten wide, then went back to narrow, now they're gone to stupid wide......and garranteed if Sam didn't help start the ultra wide bar trend, NOBODY would be using them. You can argue personal preference all ya want, but at a certain point a super wide bar relative to your body size is not practical at all.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 8:31 Quote
this tread is a fail!

does a guy choose a pink bike to be cool? too look good? because they they like pink? no cos its a girl! lol

but my point still stands, its what you like, some one tries a new colour/bar width then we all see if we like it, some do and stick to it, others don't and go back to before.

got a problem?

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 8:40 Quote
wide bars let you control the bike far better, since moving to 750's i can push the bike into corners with far more control than with 711's, its a fact, only time they are stupid is if you are about 5 3 and are running 780's.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 8:46 Quote
Muttley wrote:
wide bars let you control the bike far better, since moving to 750's i can push the bike into corners with far more control than with 711's, its a fact, only time they are stupid is if you are about 5 3 and are running 780's.

ME!!!! well im actually running 750's, but for flat out open tracks like moelfre its alrite

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 8:55 Quote
Whats the definition of really wide bars? Are we talking 710? 750? 760? 800?

In my opinion any bars bigger than 760-ish are a bit daft and not needed. However im not saying your an a*shole if you run them.

I know some people rave on about how you get mega bonus leverage and whatnot with 800mm bars, but if you ride any other track than Fort Bill or Moelfre then your fooked. All you'll do is clobber trees on the way down and turn your hands into pulp.

There are 3 types of bar people.

There are those who have been running 600mm bars from day 1 who say 'omg omg massive bars are for idiots wtf they're not even needed'. Really - they are afraid to try any bigger bars incase they like them.

Then there are the people like myself who have got 750 / average sized large bars. Who ride them because they like the feel and stability and realised that 600mm bars are for pussy uphill f*ggots and you can't go fast with them.

Then there are guys who ride 810mm bars because they're trying to outdo their mates and take up all 3 lanes on the motorway.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 8:55 Quote
I'm running the Sunline V1 low rise bars which are 737mm (29 inches) and I love them you are more stable and high speeds and going into corners fast. I don't think it is a trend I just think more people are liking it and it seems to benifit there riding.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 9:01 Quote
My downhill bike come with 25.5 inch bars.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 9:02 Quote
jpv2008 wrote:
My downhill bike come with 25.5 inch bars.

jesus thats skinny

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 9:03 Quote
I agree with huckoveraduck

I ran 690s on my v10 for a while and it just felt really strange, lack off control and lack of leaverage on the front end. I swapped them for Burgtec Ridewides and ill never go back. Much better riding position with wider bars, bike feels more stable and you have more improved leverage.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 9:08 Quote
DrSanchez wrote:
Katol wrote:

Its my personal preference to ride what Sam rides.

ok

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 9:31 Quote
i run 28 inch bars and they feel really comftorble,anything wider and it would just feel madness im 6,3 by the way.

i cant see the need for anything bigger than 28 inch as an mtb roughly weighs 40 ish pounds only mx would need something bigger due to the weight to leverage ratio.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 9:37 Quote
right im 5' 3" and here is a pic of me with 750mm bars, and they arent as wide as everyone makes them out to be (i chose these photos 'cause i thought they showed the wideness the best)

photo

photo

ok, they might make the odd tree more difficult to get round, but the extra stability is and the ability to just stick to lines is the best

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028714
Mobile Version of Website