BMX HELP sizing

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
BMX HELP sizing
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 17:02 Quote
hey im use to riding mtb alot and im taking the move to bmx i no alot bout em but not what size to go with i no alot is personal preferance but just need a base to start from im stuck between 20 and 20.5 inch frames what size should i get im about 5,10 maybe little more than 5,9 thoughts? thanks

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 17:09 Quote
To tell you the truth, if your just starting out you probably will not notice a huge difference. If it were my choice I would go with the 20.5 inch.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 17:13 Quote
I'd say 20.5" will do you good. 20" might seem a bit small.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 17:45 Quote
ya definitely get the 20.5. I am 6,0 ft to 6,1 and i ride a 20.5. I have no issues with it being to small and i think it rides nice.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 17:50 Quote
21" have the most room and dont have to worry about knocking your knees in on bars.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 18:06 Quote
I'm the same height as you and i ride a 20.5

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 19:33 Quote
20.5 to 20.75 should be a good length, Im about 5'10" and I ride a 20.75" frame and it rocks!

Another thing, longer frames are easier for manuals and shorter frames are easier for spins.

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 at 12:08 Quote
the top tube length is not the only thing you have to take into consideration. A 21" top tube with a 11,8" BB height will feel like a 20.75" with a 11.5" BB height. The higher the bottom bracket, the shorter the top tube will feel.

A bunch of other factors will change the feel of your bike. Things like handlebar height and seat tube or head tube angle.

Try some of your friend's bikes before you decide!

For your first BMX, I suggest you try something in between... not too long, not too short.

Personally, I would feel pretty cramped up on a 20.5". Like I said, try before you buy!

Nice to see you switch to BMX!

Posted: Jan 28, 2009 at 14:45 Quote
no one ride bmx my town man everyone mtbs

Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 16:44 Quote
capt-crip wrote:
no one ride bmx my town man everyone mtbs
you serious? man you gotta start! ...lol

check out how many will follow when they see you shredding!

Is there a bikeshop with completes you can try in the parking lot or something?

Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 17:02 Quote
cyclo808 wrote:
the top tube length is not the only thing you have to take into consideration. A 21" top tube with a 11,8" BB height will feel like a 20.75" with a 11.5" BB height. The higher the bottom bracket, the shorter the top tube will feel.

A bunch of other factors will change the feel of your bike. Things like handlebar height and seat tube or head tube angle.

Try some of your friend's bikes before you decide!

For your first BMX, I suggest you try something in between... not too long, not too short.

Personally, I would feel pretty cramped up on a 20.5". Like I said, try before you buy!

Nice to see you switch to BMX!

I hate when people say a frame will "feel" like a different size than it really is. Generally speaking, a 21" is a 21" and will feel like a 21" tt. It doesn't make sense saying you have a 20.75" that "feels" like a 21". How something "feels" is entirely subjective to the person riding. BB height and HTA It wont make THAT much of a difference. Your BB height actually changes depending on your tire size. It can also change as your wheels rotate if they have a bit of hop in them.

Head tube angle affects how it rides, but not much. You'll notice the difference on a 74 and 75 more than 74.5 and 75. O.5 degrees isn't very much. Like bb height, your head angle can actually change depending on what size tires you're riding. Seat tube angle doesn't really matter either. How often do you sit on the damn thing anyways to notice half a degree difference?

I think people are way too picky about geometry. Subtle tweaks in geo wont make a difference since you can get used to any of the changes after a day of riding.

2 cents

Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 17:54 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
I hate when people say a frame will "feel" like a different size than it really is. Generally speaking, a 21" is a 21" and will feel like a 21" tt. It doesn't make sense saying you have a 20.75" that "feels" like a 21". How something "feels" is entirely subjective to the person riding. BB height and HTA It wont make THAT much of a difference. Your BB height actually changes depending on your tire size. It can also change as your wheels rotate if they have a bit of hop in them.

Head tube angle affects how it rides, but not much. You'll notice the difference on a 74 and 75 more than 74.5 and 75. O.5 degrees isn't very much. Like bb height, your head angle can actually change depending on what size tires you're riding. Seat tube angle doesn't really matter either. How often do you sit on the damn thing anyways to notice half a degree difference?

I think people are way too picky about geometry. Subtle tweaks in geo wont make a difference since you can get used to any of the changes after a day of riding.

2 cents

I am just trying to help the guy. I happen to think bike geometry is important. If you don't, fine. But respect those who do not share your opinion. He asked and seemed to care.
And why are you getting all worked up over this? People will have a different opinion than yours? get use to it...

Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 17:59 Quote
I think geometry is very important, but not to the details that people seem to stress over. I understand that people have different opinions than me. I'm not worked up at all and I'm used to it. It's a fact of life. I just gave my opinion which was different than yours. If I came off as disrespectful...Well, I don't know what to say other than sorry because it wasn't meant that way.

So, we cool? Yeah, we cool. Cool

Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 18:19 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
I think geometry is very important, but not to the details that people seem to stress over. I understand that people have different opinions than me. I'm not worked up at all and I'm used to it. It's a fact of life. I just gave my opinion which was different than yours. If I came off as disrespectful...Well, I don't know what to say other than sorry because it wasn't meant that way.

So, we cool? Yeah, we cool. Cool

It's all good Smile

Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 19:24 Quote
thanks guys i think imma try 20.5 hopefully shes nice cant wait to start

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016561
Mobile Version of Website