PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano Hyperglide chain (shorten help)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 11:17 Quote
I bought a new chain to put onto my build,
Seeing as my old chain was a hyperglide chain i bought another,

My old chain was 108 links long, but my new one is 116,

how do i make it smaller as all the pins seem to be the fixed ones.

Thanks

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 11:54 Quote
Does 8 links extra matter

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 12:00 Quote
Yeah 8 links matters a lot. Look in the box that came with the chain. There should be a chain pin. You'll need a chain breaker to remove the extra links and then you'll put it together with the spare pin. If this doesn't make sense or you don't have a chain tool, take it to your local bike shop

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 12:07 Quote
O rite

I got chain breaker, and came with the spare pin, but in the instructions it says that theres three type of pins,

End pins, link pins and irremovable joint pin things

It says only take out link pins, but they all same, lol

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 12:09 Quote
I think since shimano is a japaneese company stuff will get lost in translation. Just break the chain, push the pin all the way out, and push in your new pin. make sure to put the tapered "bullet" lookin end in first. Push it in by hand as far as possible and finish off with the chain breaker. The remaining bullet end that should now be sticking out the other side you just need to break off with a pair of pliers.

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 12:18 Quote
O rite sound.

Thanks will try that tomorrow and hopefully have my bike finished Big Grin

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 13:02 Quote
joshleb wrote:
O rite sound.

Thanks will try that tomorrow and hopefully have my bike finished Big Grin

Putting pins back in is harder than it sounds, just leave it out most of the way, no need to take it completley apart.

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 13:15 Quote
RockyMountainPride wrote:
Putting pins back in is harder than it sounds, just leave it out most of the way, no need to take it completley apart.

Wrong. You have to take that pin all the way out and use the reconnecting pin.

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 13:19 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
RockyMountainPride wrote:

Wrong. You have to take that pin all the way out and use the reconnecting pin.

Sorry but round here shortening the chain on a bike does not entail taking the pin ompletley out.

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 17:09 Quote
I agree the pin does not have to come all the way out... though that is what shimano would want you to do, I've done mine without the new pin many times with no problem. if you have the pin that's the best way to go.

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 17:11 Quote
Gsnickets wrote:
I agree the pin does not have to come all the way out... though that is what shimano would want you to do, I've done mine without the new pin many times with no problem

Yeah, the only reason I can see it helping is it keeps the pivot tightter.

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 17:14 Quote
the pins are slightly mushroomed on the ends to keep them in, and pushing it out definitely breaks the lip off, if you do a bunch of shimano chains you'll notice very tiny rings collect on the tool.... but the tapered replacements are super easy to use.

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 17:18 Quote
Look, dude. The chain comes with that extra pin for a reason. When you push a pin back in, it's already misshapen from coming out, all rounded off. There's also a reason that the connector pin is harder to push in - because it's designed to not come out like an old pin pushed back in would.
I don't really care what you do "around there" but I recommend doing it the right way. Not like it costs you anything . . . it's even easier!

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 at 17:21 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
Look, dude. The chain comes with that extra pin for a reason. When you push a pin back in, it's already misshapen from coming out, all rounded off. There's also a reason that the connector pin is harder to push in - because it's designed to not come out like an old pin pushed back in would.
I don't really care what you do "around there" but I recommend doing it the right way. Not like it costs you anything . . . it's even easier!

Sorry but neither do I. I do it the way my boss does it, so thats how I do it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009991
Mobile Version of Website