Phil wood grease... only the best for your bike!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Phil wood grease... only the best for your bike!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2009 at 13:09 Quote
well i've been using phil wood grease for some time now, and really i dont think i could find a better grease...ever!
post your stories on how phil wood grease has "saved" your bike from rust and wear, when you thought your bike was doomed!also recommend greases similar in quality or if you think it's better.
and am i weird or does phil wood grease smell really good!?

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 2:27 Quote
wow. i always thought grease was grease. I just use whatever comes to hand. Would i be wrong in saying you need to get out more? or do people take grease really seriously?

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 2:29 Quote
sonicsloth wrote:
wow. i always thought grease was grease. I just use whatever comes to hand. Would i be wrong in saying you need to get out more? or do people take grease really seriously?

grease is a fairly important part often overlooked,however i dont think we needed a thread dedicated just for grease,so yeah the original op needs to get out more.

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 12:13 Quote
ethier wrote:
well i've been using phil wood grease for some time now, and really i dont think i could find a better grease...ever!
post your stories on how phil wood grease has "saved" your bike from rust and wear, when you thought your bike was doomed!also recommend greases similar in quality or if you think it's better.
and am i weird or does phil wood grease smell really good!?

Do your nightmares consist of a great big can of WD40 laughing manically as it 'oils' your chain and headset?

Just kidding. But grease is grease.. I use the weldtite stuff with the grease gun.

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 13:37 Quote
oh wd-40 is definetly one of my worst nightmares...feel free to post greases you use also.
and just for the record grease is not grease. certain greases are for certain applications some are thicker than others some are thinner.

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 23:56 Quote
ethier wrote:
oh wd-40 is definetly one of my worst nightmares...feel free to post greases you use also.
and just for the record grease is not grease. certain greases are for certain applications some are thicker than others some are thinner.

grease is for sure grease,what idiot in the real world buys all the proper grease i use one for all applications with the exception of anti sieze.

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 0:16 Quote
I don't see a point in buying expensive grease such as Phil Wood, because clean cheap grease > dirty expensive grease. If i'm able service a bearing by myself, i'll do it often and so, expensive/cheap grease doesn't really matter.

Where quality of grease DOES matter is cartridge bearings that can't be serviced (ie. many BB bearings, pivot bearings, etc) In those cases, it would be good to buy the BB with good grease if you want the most life out of your part before replacing. Cheap greases do break down faster than expensive ones. But then again, the bearing life also depends on the quality of the seals too.

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 1:03 Quote
TFD lube smells good. But i don't experience any difference from more expensive/cheaper lubes.

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 18:03 Quote
grease is not just grease. there are a ton of differences between them. all grease becomes dirty and burnt, but it is the properties of itthat make them different. a cheap grease will protect against wear but how well it dose is dependent on application. the cheaper grease has more impurities in it and the grease is usually made of larger partials. it will serve its purpuse but is not going to do as well of a job but is not going to have as good of wear protection . when you think how much parts on a bike cost, you think it would be common scence to procect them the best you can.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009939
Mobile Version of Website