Relatively cheap and sturdy 6-7 inch FR/AM bike

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Relatively cheap and sturdy 6-7 inch FR/AM bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 14:02 Quote
To all,

I currently ride a 2008 Cannondale Prophet 2 that I have set up for Light Freeride and AM. I am looking to sell it and either replace the frame and keep the componenets, or get a whole new bike all together.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions for me? I'm looking for a bike/ frame that can take pretty moderate hits...(nothing over like a 10 foot drop. In additon, I want it be easy to pedal around on. I am on a limited budget and dont have a ton of money to throw around. I would appreciate any suggestions!!! I live in Winston-Salem, NC, USA.

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 14:20 Quote
transition covert or dirtbag.

their website has some of last years frames and demo bikes cheap. i dont care what anyone says the covert will stand up to 10-foot drops with a good build!

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 14:22 Quote
https://www.transitionbikes.com/Store/List.cfm?Token={ts_2009-02-03_17:25:23}-94353580&C=18

and your build on your prophet would swap perfectly with a covert

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 14:37 Quote
Giant's Reign X or Specialized's SX trail are two really solid freeride/AM bikes. They're a little more money than the transition, but they should be available more places, and in my opinion, they're better engineered than Transition. Both are about $1700 or $1800 frame only. They run a little more into the freeride end of things and will handle 10' drops or more no problem, but also pedal decently well uphill.

If you want more of a pedally bike then Specialized's Pitch or Giant's regular Reign could be worth a look.

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 14:56 Quote
For the type of riding your doing the Prophet sounds perfect, why are you looking for something new??

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 15:40 Quote
MOUNTAIN-GROWN wrote:
For the type of riding your doing the Prophet sounds perfect, why are you looking for something new??

Um...well the dealer who sold the bike, said nothin over 4 feet...and yesterday I did this 6 foot jump, and man...That bike didnt do too well...

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 15:41 Quote
kovacs2121 wrote:
https://www.transitionbikes.com/Store/List.cfm?Token={ts_2009-02-03_17:25:23}-94353580&C=18

and your build on your prophet would swap perfectly with a covert

Thanks alot!!!! Could I get the frame or the demo used bike sent directly to me? and not to some dealer? Cause the store I love doesnt even stock or sell Transition. The store that sells them is a huge RIPOFF.

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 15:51 Quote
Transition Preston FR!
the covert is really nice but its probly a lot like ur prophet and the dirtbag is a pretty burly freerider. but the Preston FR is pretty close between them both its super sturdy freeride/all mountain bike it can pedal like a champ and ive seen them taken off fat jumps and big drops no prob. and they are very reasonably priced too
and the best way to get a transition is just callin them up there super chill up there and will hook u up

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 15:57 Quote
trevorwg wrote:
Giant's Reign X or Specialized's SX trail are two really solid freeride/AM bikes. They're a little more money than the transition, but they should be available more places, and in my opinion, they're better engineered than Transition. Both are about $1700 or $1800 frame only. They run a little more into the freeride end of things and will handle 10' drops or more no problem, but also pedal decently well uphill.

If you want more of a pedally bike then Specialized's Pitch or Giant's regular Reign could be worth a look.

Yea, my friend has a 2008 Haro extreme x7 comp and he seems pretty happy with it! It has 6" of rear travel and a 68 degree head tube angle with a Marzocchi 55R on the front. It takes almost anything he throws at it!

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 16:01 Quote
iron horse 6 point like 700 at rscycle for frame and like 1600 for complete

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 16:17 Quote
ncfreerider5001 wrote:
MOUNTAIN-GROWN wrote:

Um...well the dealer who sold the bike, said nothin over 4 feet...and yesterday I did this 6 foot jump, and man...That bike didnt do too well...

What didn't do well on the bike? Did you break it, or did it just feel sketchy? The 2008 prophet looks like it came with a 140mm Fox 32, which is a pretty flexy fork to be jumping with in my experience. Switching to the Covert with the same fork might not be much of an upgrade. A stiffer fork with a 20mm axle like a Pike or your buddy's 55 could be a better investment than a new frame.

Unless your frame is broken. Then you might want to look for a new frame and fork.

Out of curiosity, how much do you weigh?

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 16:26 Quote
trevorwg wrote:
ncfreerider5001 wrote:
MOUNTAIN-GROWN wrote:

What didn't do well on the bike? Did you break it, or did it just feel sketchy? The 2008 prophet looks like it came with a 140mm Fox 32, which is a pretty flexy fork to be jumping with in my experience. Switching to the Covert with the same fork might not be much of an upgrade. A stiffer fork with a 20mm axle like a Pike or your buddy's 55 could be a better investment than a new frame.

Unless your frame is broken. Then you might want to look for a new frame and fork.

Out of curiosity, how much do you weigh?

It didnt break, but it felt sketchy... and I am 5'11 and weigh like 180

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 17:21 Quote
ncfreerider5001 wrote:
It didnt break, but it felt sketchy... and I am 5'11 and weigh like 180

180 isn't huge, but it's getting up there for an XC fork, especially if you like jumping. I don't know much about that frame, but I would definitely recommend a stronger fork. Pretty much any all mountain or freeride fork with a 20mm thru-axle should work. A Fox 36 would be awesome if you can afford it.

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 17:46 Quote
sound like the reign x series is exactly what ure lookin for

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 19:11 Quote
Let's recap, so in general an fork with a 20mm thru axle is a must have on most bikes for FR/AM. And as for frames and bikes, the Giant reign X seems good...I am just curious as to if that huge piece of metal hanging off of the down tube, will get stuck on things. The specialized SX trail is good, and Transitions used bikes are another option for frames...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011662
Mobile Version of Website