Relatively cheap and sturdy 6-7 inch FR/AM bike

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Relatively cheap and sturdy 6-7 inch FR/AM bike
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 19:16 Quote
Norco 6

Find a used Nomad?

bottlerockets are very FR oriented.. not a good AM bike

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 19:18 Quote
awl yes... specialized pitch... around 2000 thousand new for the low end.. compete bike

they come with pikes, and 6 inches of rear travel...

Def an AM/Lite FR bike

2700 for high end
2100 for low end

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 20:51 Quote
ncfreerider5001 wrote:
Let's recap, so in general an fork with a 20mm thru axle is a must have on most bikes for FR/AM. And as for frames and bikes, the Giant reign X seems good...I am just curious as to if that huge piece of metal hanging off of the down tube, will get stuck on things. The specialized SX trail is good, and Transitions used bikes are another option for frames...

That sounds about right. The 20mm isn't required for all AM riding, but for a bigger guy that's going to be jumping it makes a HUGE difference. I ride a reign X and the huge piece of metal hanging off the downtube has never been a problem. It doesn't stick out past where the pedals go around, so if you were going to hit it on something you would probably hit your foot on a different bike anyway.

My buddy just got a new SX and it's a sweet bike, but it might be a little bit more of a freeride bike than what you're looking for. The geometry is pretty slack for riding a lot of XC. Definitely check out the SX and the Pitch if you have a Specialized dealer nearby.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 13:12 Quote
trevorwg wrote:
ncfreerider5001 wrote:
Let's recap, so in general an fork with a 20mm thru axle is a must have on most bikes for FR/AM. And as for frames and bikes, the Giant reign X seems good...I am just curious as to if that huge piece of metal hanging off of the down tube, will get stuck on things. The specialized SX trail is good, and Transitions used bikes are another option for frames...

That sounds about right. The 20mm isn't required for all AM riding, but for a bigger guy that's going to be jumping it makes a HUGE difference. I ride a reign X and the huge piece of metal hanging off the downtube has never been a problem. It doesn't stick out past where the pedals go around, so if you were going to hit it on something you would probably hit your foot on a different bike anyway.

My buddy just got a new SX and it's a sweet bike, but it might be a little bit more of a freeride bike than what you're looking for. The geometry is pretty slack for riding a lot of XC. Definitely check out the SX and the Pitch if you have a Specialized dealer nearby.

Well, someone told me that the Giant Regin X series can have some mechanical failures. He says that because of so many pivots, the bike has technical trouble...is that true?

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 15:59 Quote
ncfreerider5001 wrote:
Well, someone told me that the Giant Regin X series can have some mechanical failures. He says that because of so many pivots, the bike has technical trouble...is that true?

I've never had any problems with mine and I'm bigger than you at 220 lbs. I've only had it a year, but I crashed it hard enough to break the front wheel without damaging the frame.

It doesn't have any more pivots than other linkage bikes from Santa Cruz, Specialized or Transition. If you ride a lot, especially in mud, then any FS frame will wear out the bearings in a few years, but your shop should be able to put new ones in for you when it comes time for it.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 16:00 Quote
trevorwg wrote:
ncfreerider5001 wrote:

I've never had any problems with mine and I'm bigger than you at 220 lbs. I've only had it a year, but I crashed it hard enough to break the front wheel without damaging the frame.

It doesn't have any more pivots than other linkage bikes from Santa Cruz, Specialized or Transition. If you ride a lot, especially in mud, then any FS frame will wear out the bearings in a few years, but your shop should be able to put new ones in for you when it comes time for it.

What kind of riding do you do on your giant reign X?

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 17:18 Quote
It's my only mountain bike at the moment, so I do a little of everything on it. From 5 hour XC rides to lift access DH, with a little bit of street mixed in.

I've never been super stable in the air, so I don't do a lot of drops or jumps, but the ones I do are way less scary with this bike than any that I had before.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 17:28 Quote
i have ridden the reign x on everything from all mountain to steep, gnarly downhill. i dont know about big hits. i have done a 12 foot drop and about a 20 foot gap and it is fine. the only mech. prob i have had was the bearings in the rear linkage needed to be replaced. but that was an easy fix

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 17:41 Quote
Going on the title, cheap and sturdy 6" FR/AM bike, I'm going to suggest the new Stinky Six, very similar to my 2005 Coiler, same pivot-characteristics as your prophet, should do well for all the stuff you seem to be talking about?

I'm actually using my coiler with a bit of a heavier build for downhilling, got a 66rc2x sitting my room waiting for the front hub conversion!

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 18:28 Quote
Guys, I am also looking at a used 2004 Cannondale Gemini 2000...It seems like a pretty solid bike for what i'm doing. It has adjustable geometry from 150mm to 170mm

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 19:15 Quote
Make sure you ride it and like it, my friend had an older gemini, felt rather perched because of the geometry, high bb, low front end etc, I never liked it

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 19:23 Quote
yeah, tomorrow im going to go test ride it

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 8:14 Quote
whoa.... 2004? dude thats old and gemini's are prone to breaking...

keep looking around man

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 10:24 Quote
That-Norco-Dude wrote:
whoa.... 2004? dude thats old and gemini's are prone to breaking...

keep looking around man

I mean, the guy that had it before, just rode it on some local trails and didnt really do much jumping...but I can understand...a bike almost 5 years old might be prone to breakin...

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 10:30 Quote
2005 kona stinky w/ 2005 66rc
honestly... if your a decent, flowy rider who doesnt do huge stupid drops and gaps and actually takes care of your rig, it will serve you well.
ignore the kona-haters

I've spent a total of $775(stock bike), $350(66rc fork), (~$200 for new juicy 5 brakes soon). You can get them cheaper if you hunt around though.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013978
Mobile Version of Website