Recommendations for 1st time Disc Brake Purchase

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Recommendations for 1st time Disc Brake Purchase
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
Hi there, anyone willing to give me some suggestions on decent, not too expensive, hydraulic discs? I've been given the Juicy Threes as a good entry purchase but haven't liked the feedback I've read/heard about them. Running XTR V-brakes on my x-country bike setup and like the modulation/brake feel...

Thanks for all recommendations!

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:27 Quote
Whats the MOST you are willing to spend, because Juicy 3's arent the best.
I would go Elixer's or Strokers on the lower end of things. Both can be found on all bikes from XC to DH.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:29 Quote
If you get any juicys bleed them straight away i never belvied that a factory bleed was so much worse than doing it yourself but it is.

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:33 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
If you get any juicys bleed them straight away i never belvied that a factory bleed was so much worse than doing it yourself but it is.
I agree... bleed them or have them bled ASAP after purchase to get the full benefit of them. Go with Juicy 5's over the 3's if you can... 7's would be even better... it all depends on your budget though.

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:33 Quote
nishnash wrote:
I would go Elixer's or Strokers on the lower end of things. Both can be found on all bikes from XC to DH.

Maybe between $200-$300 for the pair...

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:35 Quote
cjf1972 wrote:
Shoe2190 wrote:
I agree... bleed them or have them bled ASAP after purchase to get the full benefit of them. Go with Juicy 5's over the 3's if you can... 7's would be even better... it all depends on your budget though.

Budget about $200 to $300.....

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:36 Quote
chach33 wrote:
nishnash wrote:

Maybe between $200-$300 for the pair...

elixers are the best in that price range

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:40 Quote
First Off...everything everyone has just told you is not true.
Secondly, Your going to buy an Avid bb7 , 2006 or newer...youll be able to set it up and maintain it with the smallest amount of disc brake knowledge possible. You'll have a large amount of modulation, An even larger amount of breaking power..and a near indestructible brake. pair that with an Avid FR-5 or speeddial 5/7 lever and a high quality linear cable. it will be a BULLETproof set-up. and youll never have a problem. Smile Dont believe me? i wont be the first person to recommend you a BB7 Smile
the decision is all yours.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:43 Quote
dylaine wrote:
Secondly, Your going to buy an Avid bb7 , 2006 or newer...youll be able to set it up and maintain it with the smallest amount of disc brake knowledge possible. You'll have a large amount of modulation, An even larger amount of breaking power..and a near indestructible brake. pair that with an Avid FR-5 or speeddial 5/7 lever and a high quality linear cable. it will be a BULLETproof set-up. and youll never have a problem. Smile Dont believe me? i wont be the first person to recommend you a BB7 Smile

Bit of a sweeping statement man.

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
dylaine wrote:

Bit of a sweeping statement man.
Also a bit of a factual one too.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:51 Quote
Sorry but what i said was fully correct that a juciy factory blead is just not as good as having it done as soon as you buy the brake.

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:54 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
Sorry but what i said was fully correct that a juciy factory blead is just not as good as having it done as soon as you buy the brake.
Hydraulic is garbage if your new to discs. the best hydro brake in the world will be crap because they wont have a clue for bleeding/maintenance/repairs/storage, etc etc etc etc

GO BB7

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:55 Quote
that is true i need to get mine bled

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:57 Quote
Trust me i have this exact argument at least once a month and win it time after time after time...
Just go bb7...it will be awesome!Smile

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:57 Quote
Just get a shop to do it!!!
I stick with Elixer R's as my suggestion, the Stroker trails are great to. Unfortunately they have different issues.
Elixer-Pad rub issues
Stroker-Sticky piston. I prefer the lever shape and adjustment ease of use of the stroker.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016758
Mobile Version of Website