How can you set up a fork/shock like this?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
How can you set up a fork/shock like this?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 14:22 Quote
how can you make a fork/shock use all of the travel on soaking up bumps, but when you do a jump/drop it stiffens up?

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 14:46 Quote
High speed low speed compression
low speed adsorbs small bumps high speed for larger bumps/hits

increase the compression thus incr4easing the ammount of force needed to compress the fork under both curcumstances

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 14:48 Quote
what shocks/ 6 inch forks have this?

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 14:52 Quote
thecollonadekid wrote:
6 inch?

yep. as well as all the fox 36(but they are 6.3in)

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 14:54 Quote
VF2 only have rebound and straight up[ compression nto high and low thats only on the RC2X

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 14:54 Quote
dmanj wrote:
thecollonadekid wrote:
6 inch?

do the 36 rc2's have it?

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 14:55 Quote
really? i thought my vf2 had high and low speed compression

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 14:56 Quote
thecollonadekid wrote:
dmanj wrote:
thecollonadekid wrote:
6 inch?

do the 36 rc2's have it?

yes

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 15:02 Quote
dmanj wrote:
really? i thought my vf2 had high and low speed compression
they definitely don't

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 15:55 Quote
I ride the Fox Talas 36mm RC2 fork right now. I love it to say the least. It takes allot to learn how the adjustments can influence your riding. The only way is to go out and play with adjustments while riding, which I had no problem doing...

One thing is the rebound adjustment on your shock. The more rebound damping you have on your shock the slower it rebounds, the less rebound damping you use it will spring back quicker. You have to play with it to find a happy medium.

-Big drops = more (+) rebound damping. You will want the suspension to soak up the landing, and not rebound back super quick (like when you hit a drop and land both wheels at the same time and get bucked off your bike).

-Fast washboard/ root spattered trails with moderate drops = less (-) rebound damping. You want the suspension to return to full travel so it can constantly absorb the sprung forces of the bike and riders mass.

The low and high speed compression adjustments work wonders once figured out the perfect setting for your riding style.

high speed compression controls how fast the fork will blow through its travel.

Low, high speed compression, will allow for maximum traction over bumps and such, but will allow the fork to blow through the travel possibly bottoming more often.

High, high speed compression, will hinder the fork from blowing through the travel, but intern too much will make for a very sketchy ride with low traction.

low speed compression controls the bikes behavior under braking and the riders mass shifts.

Low, low speed compression, will allow for maximum traction, but too little will result in brake dive and a clumsy feel.

High, low speed compression, will allow for less brake dive creating a more confident platform for certain sections, but too much will cause a sketchy ride with low traction.

Breath.....

I hope the above info I have learned over the years helps you out. Like I said before, it takes allot of messing around with your suspension settings to find the correct ones for your style. Once you find one that works for you try writing down how many clicks from the lowest or highest setting it is. Ex: For Silverstar, I use 7 of 15 clicks from low, on the high speed compression, and 8/15 clicks from low, on the low speed compression. My rebound is set at 6/14 clicks from low. I remember all of my settings off of the top of my head for certain hills even some select trails, simply because it makes riding so much more fun when your suspension is set up properly.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009619
Mobile Version of Website