Fork for XC hardtail?

• Previous Page
O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 16:10 Quote
My winter project will be to update my much loved DeKerf steel hardtail- Stripping the frame, disc mounts added, repaint in classic Dekerf green, then almost all new everything for components (except the King headset!). I'm pretty much set on the parts, except the fork. I've been a Marzocchi fan for a long time now, after owning the very dissapointing original Judy.
I've been doing a bit of research, including MTBR, and it seems like Marz. reputation is slipping, and that the RockShox Reba Team might be a good choice.
Any opinions on the Reba, or other options in an 80-100mm fork for XC?

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 16:29 Quote
Fox F100 or F80. These forks have a great reputation and feel amazing. If it's too expensive then the Reba fork is a great choice as well.

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 16:30 Quote
06 Marzocchi Gran Fondo 1

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 1:13 Quote
rock shox reba my brothers got them there pretty awsum

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 1:44 Quote
marzocchi mx pro eta is mazing

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 2:16 Quote
It's a shame that the Nixon is Mainitou's shortest fork with their Intrinsic damper because my Nixon is really, really good. Their only family in your travel range is the R-Seven and I suggest taking a pass on those.

You're right that Marzocchi was once the clear leader (until about 2000), but now I'd say that Fox and RockShox are leading the short-travel field. Both make excellent forks and neither will disappoint.

You might be happy to know that you can get RockShox' high-end dampers in platforms as low as the Tora; the only thing that changes are the weights of structural components, so the cheap ones are just heavy versions of the expensive ones. The absolute top-end forks add a few features, but nothing revolutionary.

Fox's 32 Vanilla series (coil) isn't much heavier than the air models and is considerably cheaper. A Float might be well within your budget, but money saved on the fork can be reinvested elsewhere, should you choose to go that route.

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 4:05 Quote
r-m-r wrote:
It's a shame that the Nixon is Mainitou's shortest fork with their Intrinsic damper because my Nixon is really, really good. Their only family in your travel range is the R-Seven and I suggest taking a pass on those.

You're right that Marzocchi was once the clear leader (until about 2000), but now I'd say that Fox and RockShox are leading the short-travel field. Both make excellent forks and neither will disappoint.

You might be happy to know that you can get RockShox' high-end dampers in platforms as low as the Tora; the only thing that changes are the weights of structural components, so the cheap ones are just heavy versions of the expensive ones. The absolute top-end forks add a few features, but nothing revolutionary.

Fox's 32 Vanilla series (coil) isn't much heavier than the air models and is considerably cheaper. A Float might be well within your budget, but money saved on the fork can be reinvested elsewhere, should you choose to go that route.
I love you man, not in a gay sense but because every piece of advice you give is immaculate. You're one of the few people on this site that I would actually trust when reading their posts tup

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 4:28 Quote
Thanks for the input. I am looking for a high end fork, which narrows down the field.
I had heard that Fox had some problems with the longevity of their seals. Just a rumor?
One big factor for me is durability, and low maintenance. My two current Marz forks, a 2001 Atom Race (currently on the hardtail), and 2005 AM1, have served me well. I've been lucky I guess with the AM1, as I know it has had "issues".

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 11:09 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Thanks for the input. I am looking for a high end fork, which narrows down the field.
I had heard that Fox had some problems with the longevity of their seals. Just a rumor?
One big factor for me is durability, and low maintenance. My two current Marz forks, a 2001 Atom Race (currently on the hardtail), and 2005 AM1, have served me well. I've been lucky I guess with the AM1, as I know it has had "issues".

In my experience the seal problems you have heard about on Fox forks is mostly on oem product. This is product mass produced for bike companies to spec on certain models. I'm not sure why. They are usually the RL models not the RLC. I know this doesn't make any sense but its true. I'm not the only one to observe this problem. Any way fox is good about fixing the problems if you need to send it back.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 11:24 Quote
hey man, a dekerf sounds soo cool. my dad had one of them. i think reba team or race would be such a good choice, ive been using them for a while and there grate.

caint wait to see the finhing product Smile

cheers

samPimp

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 15:48 Quote
the_real_bigsteve, Wink

Fox has made some changes to their dampers for 2008. I'm not sure if it's across all models or just the fancy-pants F series (that's what the "F" stands for, you know), but word on the street is that they're damn good.

I'm not aware of any significant issues with Fox seals. Even if they fail, you could get some Enduro Seals and all will be well in the world again. I know that's not in keeping with the "low maintenance" directive, but at least it's fairly easy and cheap.

The new RockShox are solid. Nothing wrong with them at all. Fully on par with pre-2007 Fox (actually better, if you ask me), but any Fox models with the new dampers may have an edge...at a hefty price premium, that is.

That's about all I can tell you. I'd lean slightly toward the RockShox based on value, but if you don't mind spending a few hundred extra, the 2008 F80 or F100 are pretty tempting.

Actually, come to think of it, how about that new RockShox SID? 32 mm stanchions, fancy new damper, up to 100 mm of travel...RockShox just put the SID back on the menu! Yeah, I'd take a chance on one of those, if I was in your place.

Or a Fox F series.

But looks SID is really nice...

That new Fox damper is supposed to be rad, though...

The SID's damper is freshly updated, too...

What to do, what to do? Razz

The good news is that you can't go wrong. The worst you could do is pay extra for overpriced features or a tiny weight reduction, which isn't so bad, really.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 16:04 Quote
mustardman525 wrote:
rock shox tora

The Tora 318 is the best value on the market (excluding blow-out sales, of course), but Steve is looking to go a little more posh than that. Apparently, he thinks he's better than Benoit Joachim. Wink

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/oct07/croctrophy07/croctrophy075/9.jpg

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 18:23 Quote
I know if it was me looking for a fork I'd be drooling over a Reba WC, had an older one and loved it, new one surely has to be amazing...More realistically though the Tora 318 would be my pick as it pack's some amazing features at an amazing price, easilly the best value of any fork in the entire industry in my oppinion.

I'd certainly take another look at the F100X though...that is one nifty fork! It packs a similar pricetag as the Reba WC (slightly under a grand). The Terra-Logic feel's amazing, it'll surely put a smile on your face the first time you compress the fork, I know I smiled!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014829
Mobile Version of Website