Keeping People Out

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Keeping People Out
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:10 Quote
Hey, have you ever started a trail and not finished and you tell people not to go down because it might ruin it and sure enough, the next time you go, your lips and burms are screwed up? well, a lot of us have had that happen to us and this thread is for people who came up with solutions. so post away!!!!Salute

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:12 Quote
haha camp out at the bottom of the trail with a big stick and WHACK!

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:12 Quote
Run a chain between two trees (or something similar) with some bright orange shit so nobody hits it. Put a padlock on that sucker and only unlock it when it's time for you to session. I'm a fellow trail builder and I hate seeing my hard work getting destroyed by people that simply don't give a f*ck. Good luck dude.

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:13 Quote
i just build the tril from the middle out, leave 100 feet between the top and bottom un finished until your done then get the top and bottom done and open it.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:16 Quote
Dont tell anyone about it till its done and thoroughly riddentup

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:21 Quote
recklessness wrote:
Run a chain between two trees (or something similar) with some bright orange shit so nobody hits it. Put a padlock on that sucker and only unlock it when it's time for you to session. I'm a fellow trail builder and I hate seeing my hard work getting destroyed by people that simply don't give a f*ck. Good luck dude.

wouldn't they go around the chain if its at the beginning?
before each jump/ berm / feature put a chain, or a huge log (that cant be moved easily) because if i was wanting to go onto someone else's work, i dont want to waste much time setting it up so that i could ride it, just to much work =P
my trail almost has that problem... we build the train next to a neighborhood and some people walk their dogs and stuff on it... so we just make sure there is a noticeable side trail that they can take around jumps and stuff, and not fall off our drops (even tho they are little like 5ft max) our berms are big and hard packed so it doesn't matter... and our jumps are just like launch pads not much to be broken on them, so we put this skinny tree looking dead stick into a small hole right in front of it and no one bothers them cause we dont have a-holes that come with dirtbikes or shovels and pickaxes

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:23 Quote
zhayne wrote:
recklessness wrote:

wouldn't they go around the chain if its at the beginning?

I should have been clearer. Put the chain right before the jumps so nobody can hit them.

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:27 Quote
well, thats the thing. its on private property and the guy is nice but he doesnt want us bringing anything up there other than tools, wook, and bikes. also as for logs, the trail is about 2 miles up from the bottom but far from the top and all the trees/bushes are skinny weak shit

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:28 Quote
Cmontjumper wrote:
well, thats the thing. its on private property and the guy is nice but he doesnt want us bringing anything up there other than tools, wook, and bikes. also as for logs, the trail is about 2 miles up from the bottom but far from the top and all the trees/bushes are skinny weak shit

Fair enough. Do what I do. Manicure before riding, leave them f*cked up, repeat.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:32 Quote
Heres an idea build the jumps so when they hit them they screw up and crash. It might scare them offConfused

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:35 Quote
dont tell any one theyre ther onli you and your mates that are buildng ther then wen ur done tell people

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:39 Quote
yeah your lucky you don't have it like me and my buds, we actually have people come up our trails and dig out our rock gardens and kick down our jumps, what we do is for the lips, just round them off and pack them as hard as you can, and instead of putting rocks in the trails, use dirt to make the trail bumpy, like sorta like digging pits but not big ones or deep, pack them really hard and leave a pretty big gap between the holes so the can't kick through them. But here we at least have respectful atvers and dirtbikers, the don't ride on our trail, they use the trail that is right beside it that is meant for them to use. If they tried to ride our trails we couldn't stop them cause we are building on terrain without trees, just shrubs and stuff.oh and anytime you go ride bring a shovel to fix what was broken since the last time you rode.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:41 Quote
recklessness wrote:
That's exactly what I'm doing with some jumps me and my friends built, if kids find it and start riding it. But I was thinking about using a combination lock with the dial in the middle, and only a few people will know the combo.

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:47 Quote
ya, the only probalem is, our trail is probably th3e most known trail within a hundred miles and people drive 1 and 2 hours to get here so there are hella people there on the weekends and we are fixing up an exsisting trail.... and its a clear ofchute from the main trail

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 19:47 Quote
mtbdarren318 wrote:
recklessness wrote:
That's exactly what I'm doing with some jumps me and my friends built, if kids find it and start riding it. But I was thinking about using a combination lock with the dial in the middle, and only a few people will know the combo.

Salute

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010254
Mobile Version of Website