• Previous Page
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 15:42 Quote
Hi would any bottom bracket work with a chain guide that is bb mount
Thanks

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 16:01 Quote
lancermat wrote:
Thanks

No. Any external bottom bracket will work with a chainguide.

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 16:06 Quote
bigquotesNo. Any external bottom bracket will work with a chainguide.
Thanks for the quick reply can you tell me what an external bottom bracket is?

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 16:17 Quote
photo

these are external(the bearings are on the outer part of the bb). You'll notice that the bearings are on the outside of the threads(this is what holds the chainguide on). An internal bb, has all the bearings inside the bb.

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 12:39 Quote
i've ran both external and internal BB's on my bikes with chain guides that are between the frame and BB cups.. it can be done.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 12:41 Quote
dualsuspensiondave wrote:
lancermat wrote:
Thanks

Wrong. I've ran a BB mount guide with an ISIS BB.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 12:59 Quote
lancermat wrote:
Thanks

How do you think chainguides were mounted before external B/B's came along???

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 15:31 Quote
knobzy wrote:
i've ran both external and internal BB's on my bikes with chain guides that are between the frame and BB cups.. it can be done.

There are many internal bb that will not work with a chainguide, I never said it can't be done.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 15:33 Quote
Themaninthenorth wrote:
lancermat wrote:
Thanks

My answer is still correct, read what I said. Not all internal bb work with chainguides, however all external bb will work with chainguides.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 15:36 Quote
cowieuk wrote:
lancermat wrote:
Thanks

Wrong. I've ran a BB mount guide with an ISIS BB.

Work on your reading comprehension. I didn't say that all internal bb don't work with chainguides. P.S. ISIS BB has nothing to do with it being internal or external. ISIS is a type of spindle used with 3 piece cranks. Come on guys, be smarter than this when giving advice in the mechanics lounge.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 15:37 Quote
Themaninthenorth wrote:

My answer is still correct, read what I said. Not all internal bb work with chainguides, however all external bb will work with chainguides.
well theirs ISCG (i think its called) and this is bolted onto the frame so im presuming befor external BB's all chainguids will have been olted, and from past experience ive had a chain guide that was mounted on the BB also acting as a spacer, and it wasnt the best

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 15:44 Quote
Themaninthenorth wrote:

You mind find that not all external B/B's will work. It depends on the application.
For example, an 83mm B/B won't work too well on a 68/73mm shell and visa versa...

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 15:59 Quote
Themaninthenorth wrote:
Themaninthenorth wrote:

You mind find that not all external B/B's will work. It depends on the application.
For example, an 83mm B/B won't work too well on a 68/73mm shell and visa versa...
Of course that you have to have the right size bb for your bike, that has nothing to do with it being external or internal.......Thumbs Down

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 16:09 Quote
Themaninthenorth wrote:

Of course that you have to have the right size bb for your bike, that has nothing to do with it being external or internal.......Thumbs Down

Good to hear you contradict yourself.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 16:16 Quote
Themaninthenorth wrote:
Themaninthenorth wrote:

Good to hear you contradict yourself.
Actually I didn't at all. Sizing has nothing to do with whether it's external or internal. What's so hard to understand? Good job buddy.

To the OP, find a bb that you want to run a chainguide with and I can tell you if it will work or not. These idiots are just making things difficult and are trying to be argumentative rather than help you.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012909
Mobile Version of Website