Kenda Excavator

• Previous Page
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 17:26 Quote
I have been looking in to this tire recently and I am eager for more information. If you have ridden, owned, or currently ride the tire please comment. I ride in hard pack condiotions (brown concrete) or hardpack with loose on top. The tires will be mounted on a demo 7.

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 17:53 Quote
iv read that the kenda excavator is a great loose ground, tire. like deep dirt (not mud) gravel, and loam. there a all around tire i think. for hard pack i would be running high roller rear, and high roller/minion front.

or check out continental DE KIZERS. they are kinda a mix between minions/high rollers. and have a fresh white low pro sidewall. thay would look sick on your demo. lolz

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 18:06 Quote
lcstay10 wrote:
iv read that the kenda excavator is a great loose ground, tire. like deep dirt (not mud) gravel, and loam. there a all around tire i think. for hard pack i would be running high roller rear, and high roller/minion front.

or check out continental DE KIZERS. they are kinda a mix between minions/high rollers. and have a fresh white low pro sidewall. thay would look sick on your demo. lolz
i have read the opposite of the excavators
http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/kenda-excavator-eric-carter-25-tire-review/ I ride in a enviroment similar to bootleg canyon
Kaisers are made for wet so they are out
bigquotesOn course, it readily navigates the rocky, muddy, slopes of World Cup DH courses.

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 18:27 Quote
i ride a rear excavator 2.5 and front nevegal 2.7 for dh on loose-on-hardpack and hard pack...... there both great tires.

good traction, even in mud, but there mint in dry conditions!

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 18:33 Quote
kovacs2121 wrote:
i ride a rear excavator 2.5 and front nevegal 2.7 for dh on loose-on-hardpack and hard pack...... there both great tires.

good traction, even in mud, but there mint in dry conditions!
thats for te response how do you think the excavator would be as a front tire and how is is when leaned over on sand over hard pack

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 18:39 Quote
i think itd be good, but a bit better on the back IMO.
and i think they really excel on loose gravel and im not sure how sand will be. i would imagine pretty well, but i dont really know

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 18:41 Quote
kovacs2121 wrote:
i think itd be good, but a bit better on the back IMO.
and i think they really excel on loose gravel and im not sure how sand will be. i would imagine pretty well, but i dont really know
okay thanks any reasons they are a better rear tire?

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 18:43 Quote
they seem to have a little bit less aggressive (traction) sidewall than other tires, so i would think youd loose a bit on cornering but again... i havent tried it so i dont know

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 18:48 Quote
kovacs2121 wrote:
they seem to have a little bit less aggressive (traction) sidewall than other tires, so i would think youd loose a bit on cornering but again... i havent tried it so i dont know
oh so you mean the side knobs arenyt agressive?

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 19:29 Quote
sorry cant help you on that, Im not a fan of kendas but they are good long lasting tires (what i had) but the thread isnt my style i would go with some minions dhf (FRONT, REAR) and buy a mud tire for up front and your ok

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 19:33 Quote
wtt-tmr wrote:
sorry cant help you on that, Im not a fan of kendas but they are good long lasting tires (what i had) but the thread isnt my style i would go with some minions dhf (FRONT, REAR) and buy a mud tire for up front and your ok
minions arent good for loose over hard pack they have no trasition knobs which makes things iffy

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 19:35 Quote
poozank wrote:
wtt-tmr wrote:
minions arent good for loose over hard pack they have no trasition knobs which makes things iffy
I use them on loose over hard pack and they are perfect (I had a DHf and DHR)

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 19:45 Quote
wtt-tmr wrote:
poozank wrote:
wtt-tmr wrote:
I use them on loose over hard pack and they are perfect (I had a DHf and DHR)
corse sand over hardpack akin to concrete they dont work well

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 20:32 Quote
yeah there moderately agressive sidewall tread. for the $29 for the excavator id say its well worth the try.
i just bought my second one a couple days ago (my last one lasted quite a while)

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 11:09 Quote
poozank wrote:
i have read the opposite of the excavators
http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/kenda-excavator-eric-carter-25-tire-review/ I ride in a enviroment similar to bootleg canyon
Kaisers are made for wet so they are out
bigquotesOn course, it readily navigates the rocky, muddy, slopes of World Cup DH courses.

Umm, bootleg is pumice. Its not quite what we have here.

The list of tire combos Id run here definitely dont include the excavator. This year Im running a few different mixes.

Schwalbe Big betty, Muddy mary on the DH bike

Schwalbe Fat Albert Front and rear on the trail bike

The Big Betty and Muddy mary combo in their gooey gluey compound is a KILLER tire out here. Sticks to everything and is still LIGHT and has a durable sidewall. Look into them. 2 shops around here have them, Redstone Cyclery and Bitterbrush Cycles, both are in Lyons.

I wouldnt steer you away from that Kenda unless I knew thay it wouldnt work close to as well as those. Ive run Super tacky Minions for years, and those tires got me away from them for our terrain here.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010963
Mobile Version of Website