Rock Shox Pike vs. Fox Float 32

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rock Shox Pike vs. Fox Float 32
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 9:38 Quote
Hy. I've had enough of my Rock Shox Psylo (that is i don't want to die trying to go big with it). The thing is, that this fork flexes sooo much, but keeping in mind that it is a temporary fork i will go over that aspect. Ok, i've set myself a limit of 300 euro (roughly 400$), and i will be using the fork for cross country, all mountain and i want it to withstand at least 1 meter drops. I don't want to talk about service and so on, because Fox costs a fortune to maintain, but this aspect does not mater, the thing i want to know is which is the best fork that will suit my needs, and those are: weight, strenght, plushness and overall performance. In my country, the Pike is a few euros more expensive than the Fox, and i also need to buy a bolt-on hub, but that is an extra 50$, but i still think both forks are equally matched, i want you to tell me which one

PS: i don't want to hear things like " Change your frame first", because that also will be changed, we are talking only about forks here Wink Thanks a lot !

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 9:39 Quote
Lord21 wrote:
Hy. I've had enough of my Rock Shox Psylo (that is i don't want to die trying to go big with it). The thing is, that this fork flexes sooo much, but keeping in mind that it is a temporary fork i will go over that aspect. Ok, i've set myself a limit of 300 euro (roughly 400$), and i will be using the fork for cross country, all mountain and i want it to withstand at least 1 meter drops. I don't want to talk about service and so on, because Fox costs a fortune to maintain, but this aspect does not mater, the thing i want to know is which is the best fork that will suit my needs, and those are: weight, strenght, plushness and overall performance. In my country, the Pike is a few euros more expensive than the Fox, and i also need to buy a bolt-on hub, but that is an extra 50$, but i still think both forks are equally matched, i want you to tell me which one

PS: i don't want to hear things like " Change your frame first", because that also will be changed, we are talking only about forks here Wink Thanks a lot !
fox is way lighter so you decide

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 9:44 Quote
From the sound of things, I would go with a pike, a nixon, or an older zocchi am.

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 9:47 Quote
Of course pike ...

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 9:48 Quote
Pikes. Want them as smooth as fox or even smoother? Get them Push'd!

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 11:00 Quote
ok so as i see the Pike got 4/5 votes, that's pretty good keeping in mind that i can service that fork at my local bike shop (or better i can do it myself) rather than having to send the Fox to an authorized dealer (which, sadly, does not exist in Romania), so the Fox might be cheaper, but will knock me off when i see the servicing prices.

Ok, now about Pikes. I am asking the Pike owners to tell what what "extreme" things have they done to their pike and it still survived (drops, crashes, abuses, etc), this will help me to see if this is the right one for me (and i am most certain it is)

And, about the maintenance of the fork, can you make me a top 3 or top 5 or top whatever list of things that will go wrong or what must i beware of. Thanks again!

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 11:05 Quote
pike 454 air, a used one might fit your budget. I think the 454 air is the only one worth getting... but thats just me.
somehow I doubt you can find a fox for that cheap but if you CAN I would go for that

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 11:11 Quote
you gotta pick which type of Pike you want, since the float 32 is all the same, except for dropouts. From lightest to heaviest, theres the dual air, air uturn or coil uturn pike. The dual air is similar weight to fox. The Uturn coil is heaviest at 5 lbs but easiest to service (doesn't need much other than oil change like once a year if that). Coil also more reliable than fox or the air pikes since air chambers can sometimes leak if you abuse it. I got the coil

Nothing that extreme but i go off truck loading docks everytime i ride, so that is atleast a 1 meter drop - to FLAT. doesnt even bottom out on heavy springs. Smile

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 11:11 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
pike 454 air, a used one might fit your budget. I think the 454 air is the only one worth getting... but thats just me.
somehow I doubt you can find a fox for that cheap but if you CAN I would go for that

Well actualy, a Fox Float is cheaper than the RS Pike 426 and 454, but it is the R version (only rebound and air pressure adjust), 2008 model, brand new (Fox Vanilla RLC the same price). The thing i like about the fox is: a) it's Fox b) it has standard 8mm QR so i won't need to change my hub

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 11:24 Quote
Lord21 wrote:
Unhallowed wrote:

Well actualy, a Fox Float is cheaper than the RS Pike 426 and 454, but it is the R version (only rebound and air pressure adjust), 2008 model, brand new (Fox Vanilla RLC the same price). The thing i like about the fox is: a) it's Fox b) it has standard 8mm QR so i won't need to change my hub

Your psylo was flexy because of the standard 9mm quick release..I'd suggest you spending the $50 and switch to 20mm. Switching to a Float R which is also 9mm axel and a tiny skinny crown, is not going to solve the flex problem. You need a beefier crown and axel, both which the Pike has that the fox doesnt. Fox is more bling, but i think its just too light and fragile for what you need

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 11:29 Quote
Lord21 wrote:
ok so as i see the Pike got 4/5 votes, that's pretty good keeping in mind that i can service that fork at my local bike shop (or better i can do it myself) rather than having to send the Fox to an authorized dealer (which, sadly, does not exist in Romania), so the Fox might be cheaper, but will knock me off when i see the servicing prices.

Ok, now about Pikes. I am asking the Pike owners to tell what what "extreme" things have they done to their pike and it still survived (drops, crashes, abuses, etc), this will help me to see if this is the right one for me (and i am most certain it is)

And, about the maintenance of the fork, can you make me a top 3 or top 5 or top whatever list of things that will go wrong or what must i beware of. Thanks again!

lord21 ...:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2724239/ ??

"my friend's pike? "
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/55421/ ??

[...]

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 11:29 Quote
It took me ages to choose what forks a wanted. As it took me AGES! To save up the money (£580.00) I was wondering weather it was worth it if I should spend the extra cash and get the Tf tuned, push'd pike 454 or get the Argyle. As I do a bit of everything including Dirt, Street, Cross Country and Rarely Light Freeride. I spoke to tftuned and they asked me for my weight, Bike and type of riding I do. They then changed the BRAND NEW! spring in my pike for the appropriate type (x-Stiff) I got them within 3-4 days with the Standard spring thrown in too and £50 off my next service with them! They also installed the Push'd Damping which is un-believable! Feel so smooth and I always feel in control when bombing it down hill or a local Cross country track! IF you plan on keeping the forks for years to come then I highly advise you to save abit more and go the extra mile and get the ultimate pike.

Since I got my forks I have never looked back. Well worth the money!

My 2 Mounth old forks have been riden hard. Steps, Drops, Dirt jumps and more. My Pike has held up just fine. I have never had a issue with flexing. The forks feels so lush!

http://www.tftunedshox.com/push-sales/push-rockshox-forks.html

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/RSPushvsStock.html

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 11:33 Quote
Lord21 wrote:
Unhallowed wrote:

really? odd
I'm not really big on either company so I don't memorize the msrp's... usually fox is more expensive. usually.

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 11:35 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
Lord21 wrote:
Unhallowed wrote:

really? odd
I'm not really big on either company so I don't memorize the msrp's... usually fox is more expensive. usually.
you are very true, Fox products are very expensive, and their clothing line has some astronomical prices

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 11:38 Quote
lafalot wrote:
Lord21 wrote:
Unhallowed wrote:

Your psylo was flexy because of the standard 9mm quick release..I'd suggest you spending the $50 and switch to 20mm. Switching to a Float R which is also 9mm axel and a tiny skinny crown, is not going to solve the flex problem. You need a beefier crown and axel, both which the Pike has that the fox doesnt. Fox is more bling, but i think its just too light and fragile for what you need
yup, the Psylo is pretty flimsy, i am happy that i am selling it (though it is a great fork)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010392
Mobile Version of Website