Can you think of a blue rimmed tubeless wheelset?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Can you think of a blue rimmed tubeless wheelset?
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 19:34 Quote
mlyons wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:
Here's a thought...don't go tubeless. Saves money and effort. Plus the benefits of tubeless are arguably minimal. Because, I will say it again, you will not save weight. This comes from somebody who uses tubeless.
Dude the stock wheel set on this thing is ridiculous. and your wrong my buddy just went tubeless, and saved around two pounds. That's a difference. Plus i live in Oregon and you want to be running as little tire pressure as possible in this swamp.

Your mate is wrong. Honestly. Think about it. Tubeless rims are inevitably slightly heavier (think 50-100g), add stans (80g), tubeless valve (15g) and you're at about the same weight as a light/intermediate tube. The only way you could save a pound or more is by running DH tubes which are unnecessary to start with.

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 19:36 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
mlyons wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:
Here's a thought...don't go tubeless. Saves money and effort. Plus the benefits of tubeless are arguably minimal. Because, I will say it again, you will not save weight. This comes from somebody who uses tubeless.
Dude the stock wheel set on this thing is ridiculous. and your wrong my buddy just went tubeless, and saved around two pounds. That's a difference. Plus i live in Oregon and you want to be running as little tire pressure as possible in this swamp.

Your mate is wrong. Honestly. Think about it. Tubeless rims are inevitably slightly heavier (think 50-100g), add stans (80g), tubeless valve (15g) and you're at about the same weight as a light/intermediate tube.
I bet you haven't even tried tubeless. Quit the hate. The advantages are that you will virtually never get another flat due to the sealant and also, you can run lower pressures. It's not really about losing weight, although that is often one of the side effects.

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 19:38 Quote
Your reading comprehension is admirable. I have just said that I run tubeless myself. I am by no means saying that there are no benefits to it. I'm just saying that losing weight is not one of them.

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 19:41 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
Your reading comprehension is admirable. I have just said that I run tubeless myself. I am by no means saying that there are no benefits to it. I'm just saying that losing weight is not one of them.
Nowhere else have you said that! Razz Go back and read your posts.

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 19:43 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:

Stop digging your own grave.

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 19:44 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:

Stop digging your own grave.
Redface

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 19:57 Quote
Apology accepted. The way I see it you've got 5 options:

1. Keep your 729 which are nowhere nearly as bad as you make them and purchase lighter tubes.

2. Buy lighter rims (blue if you insist, leaf, spank, atomlab, bombshell, etc.) and get lighter tubes which imo seems to be the most reasonable option.

3. Buy lighter rims (again, blue if you want)and convert them to tubeless putting up with the hassle

4. Buy tubeless rims (819, 823 is a good combo), paint them blue and hope the paint doesn't come off

5. Buy tubeless rims and put up with them being black

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 22:10 Quote
I think lighter tires would make a significant difference as well, no?

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 22:25 Quote
Did someone say blue rimmed tubeless wheelset? Check the set at the top of this gallery (they are mine!):

http://www.cyclemonkey.com/gallery.shtml

They were anodized to match the I9 hubs.

If I had my time again, I'd get good old fashioned black: hubs and rims.

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 22:37 Quote
livvylovesya wrote:
I think lighter tires would make a significant difference as well, no?
no doubt

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 23:12 Quote
wrap packing tape 2x around your rim and then just go buy a bmx tube 20in and cut it down the center and put it around your rim and trim it and put your tire halfway on and put your stans in and then air it up with a air compressor

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023260
Mobile Version of Website