New drive train. I need YOUR help.

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
New drive train. I need YOUR help.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 8:11 Quote
okay so i wanna run smaller gearing about 28/9 and i wanna no if i have a cassette or freewheel hub lol how do i tell is 28/9 a good ratio and can i just get my lbs to put a new rear cog on and not get a new hub and everything..thanx ~justin~

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 8:36 Quote
28-9 is a harder pedaling ratio. 28-10 is more average and "regular" feeling. If you have a regular freewheel style hub then the smallest you can run on the back is a 13 tooth. To run a gearing of 28-9 or 28-10 you will need to purchase a cassette hub or a freecoaster. If you have a hub that is already running a 13 to 16 tooth or larger freewheel then you don't have a cassette.

*Edit- I looked at a picture of your bike and you have a regular freewheel style hub.

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 8:57 Quote
This isnt the gear ratio you asked about but you can run a 25/9 pretty cheap and its really good, ive had no problems with it.
Eastern Birectional rear wheel 9tooth-$139.99 or Eastern 2-9er rear wheel 9tooth-$95.00
Eastern Medusda Light Sprocket 25tooth-$25.00 or Eastern Medusa Sprocket-$20.00
This is the gear ratio and parts i run, its great and havent had any problems with any of em

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 10:31 Quote
JoshuaDeArman wrote:
This isnt the gear ratio you asked about but you can run a 25/9 pretty cheap and its really good, ive had no problems with it.
Eastern Birectional rear wheel 9tooth-$139.99 or Eastern 2-9er rear wheel 9tooth-$95.00
Eastern Medusda Light Sprocket 25tooth-$25.00 or Eastern Medusa Sprocket-$20.00
This is the gear ratio and parts i run, its great and havent had any problems with any of em

eastern is shitty. get almost any other sprocket, it will be around 40-60. run 25-9 it's a good ratio and it's clean. run the lightest rear hub you can find. if you want to granny gear it a bit, do 23-9. I prefer granny gearing, but it's preference.

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 11:46 Quote
alright so i need a cassette hub and a 25 tooth sprocket eh? and a cassette hub is about 100 bucks you said so it will cost around 150 bucks to do that eh

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 12:02 Quote
prety much tup tho you want to invest in the best hub you can aford(with sealed bearings ect..) & the driver on my eastern hub has gone in just under 7months, so not realy an long term investment :/
just my opinion...

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 13:01 Quote
justinfriesen wrote:
alright so i need a cassette hub and a 25 tooth sprocket eh? and a cassette hub is about 100 bucks you said so it will cost around 150 bucks to do that eh
Cassette hubs are pretty much $140 and up in Canada. I'd recommend running a 28-10 or 30-11 ratio instead of 25-9 because there won't be as much stress on the chain.

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 14:06 Quote
justin99 wrote:
justinfriesen wrote:
Cassette hubs are pretty much $140 and up in Canada. I'd recommend running a 28-10 or 30-11 ratio instead of 25-9 because there won't be as much stress on the chain.
that makes no sense, they are the exact same ratio. there would be the exact same stress on the chain.

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 16:07 Quote
KyleIsaman wrote:
justin99 wrote:
justinfriesen wrote:
that makes no sense, they are the exact same ratio. there would be the exact same stress on the chain.

no hes absoulutly right, so dont tell him that makes no sense. alright picture how many links touch on a 30t compared to say a 23t this spreads out the pressure on the chain. also the bearings are bigger in the 10t drivers (reason why odsy used to be only 10t)

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 16:24 Quote
Mikedjumpin explained it briefly but I'll expand on that. The reason there is more stress on chains when you have a smaller gear ratio is because the torque/load/force can't be spread out over as great an area. Thus each individual link takes more stress on it. And with more stress, your chain wears out faster and is more likely to snap. As well, the teeth on your sprocket and driver/freewheel wear down quicker too. If you have more links and a longer chain the load is spread out over a greater/larger area. This is why racers run a higher gearing like 44-16 for example. You rarely see racers snap chains even though they are producing a lot of force and torque but it's more common with freestyle riders because of the smaller gearing.

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 16:30 Quote
justin99 wrote:
Mikedjumpin explained it briefly but I'll expand on that. The reason there is more stress on chains when you have a smaller gear ratio is because the torque/load/force can't be spread out over as great an area. Thus each individual link takes more stress on it. And with more stress, your chain wears out faster and is more likely to snap. As well, the teeth on your sprocket and driver/freewheel wear down quicker too. If you have more links and a longer chain the load is spread out over a greater/larger area. This is why racers run a higher gearing like 44-16 for example. You rarely see racers snap chains even though they are producing a lot of force and torque but it's more common with freestyle riders because of the smaller gearing.
lol how do u no so much about bikes? any time ive asked u any question about bikes youve had a full awsome answer! haha i just though i would speak my mind

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 16:31 Quote
The chain also has to go around a much tighter corner, wearing out the pivots much faster. And for the guy that suggested the Eastern 2-niner wheel and the Eastern medusa light sprocket, Facepalm .

Edit: I run 28-9. I love it. But its all personal preference. I have a friend who runs 33-13, and he loves it very much.

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 16:33 Quote
Plus bigger sprockets just look more badass Cool

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 16:36 Quote
drewfunk wrote:
Plus bigger sprockets just look more badass Cool
lol sure Confused

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014003
Mobile Version of Website