Seat Tube Mod Photo

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Seat Tube Mod Photo
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 20:10 Quote
Hey, I was bored so I thought id share a mod I did to my norco Six One frame to get the seat lower and out of the way. The seat is also a custom pivotal I made myself.
photo

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 20:12 Quote
So you sawed off a half inch to an inch of a aluminum voiding both warranty and crash replacement deals on an ALUMINUM frame. i give it 3 weeks before the extra stress applied on the clamping surface cracks the weld and your boned. a wedge mod would have been allot cooler.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 20:13 Quote
i've thought about doing this so many times to my p2

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 20:14 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
So you sawed off a half inch to an inch of a aluminum voiding both warranty and crash replacement deals on an ALUMINUM frame. i give it 3 weeks before the extra stress applied on the clamping surface cracks the weld and your boned. a wedge mod would have been allot cooler.
There is no warranty. He bought the frame used. I don't think it would effect the strength of the frame to much.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 20:18 Quote
So you think your a genius ? Welcome in the weight weenies world

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 20:19 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
no need to be such a drama queen

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 20:19 Quote
I don't think he did it to save weight. He wanted more clearance.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 20:20 Quote
Yeah just like I did , just like so many people did... It's not something amazing or new... That's my point

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 20:20 Quote
fireman wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
There is no warranty. He bought the frame used. I don't think it would effect the strength of the frame to much.
the thing is that it's ALU norco put the clamp were it was for a reason, the point is that the force used to hold the post in will dissapate by the time the weld roles arround to prevent cracking when you get rid of the bumper zone and are clamping directly above the weld it will crack. hell i cracked a frame doing this and i only chopped it half an inch (it was a friends 05 dh team) luckily the shop was able to warrenty it. Norco provides crash replacement to anyone who rides there bikes. basically it brakes they ill sell you a new one at a discount unless: the frame has been modified in any way shape or form. You also cut the resale value of that frame into nothing. If you were smart you would have bought a thomson post with a good seat and you would be able to achieve a very similar ride height. hell you could have even cut the tube and used a wedge mode which would prevent cracks.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 20:24 Quote
i didnt drill the notch any lower, so its not clamping anymore then it would have before, and I did it for clearance, I know its not anything new, just decided some of you loners might want something to look at, but if your just gonna be a-holes, go somewhere else, but I guess thats the majority pinkbikers for yah.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 11:23 Quote
Its only a Norco anyway.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 16:29 Quote
get killed i just bought a norco, its definitly better than what ever shit bike you ride

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 16:32 Quote
Good job man, Ive never thought of doing that to my six, but I did to it to a titus supermoto. I have plenty of room over the six, esp without a telescopic post, but the supermoto had a lot of extra tubing to nix. Just make sure all your cuts are clean, and that theres plenty of stress relief area below the clamp

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 16:33 Quote
i sawed off at least an inch off my steelhead and angled it so its parallel to the top tube and made a notch. looks a lot better.

probably less likely to crack at the weld due to having less stress on the tube. less of a lever effect.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 16:46 Quote
saturnine wrote:
i sawed off at least an inch off my steelhead and angled it so its parallel to the top tube and made a notch. looks a lot better.

probably less likely to crack at the weld due to having less stress on the tube. less of a lever effect.
thats what i was thinking but seems people are saying otherwise

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012597
Mobile Version of Website