New Zealand:Need To Know Good Riding Spots In New Zealand

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
New Zealand:Need To Know Good Riding Spots In New Zealand
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 17:19 Quote
bro the best place is rotorua. they got a shuttle going as well to take you to the top of the forest.

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 19:59 Quote
Thats sweet! Is it free or do you have to pay?

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 20:20 Quote
its $10 for 1 ride up
$30 for 5 rides up
$200 for 75 rides up
i live close to rotorua so i go there heaps so i get the 5 ride one up.
and you usually get 6 or 7 rides a day so its good.

Posted: May 29, 2009 at 16:57 Quote
I reckon the best riding spots in New Zealand would have to be in the south island. If you want Free riding, downhill and dirt jumps defiantly head down to Queenstown. They have a lift access mountian which has a pretty sweet DH track. They also got a free ride and Dirt jump park, Gorge Rd. Oh, and also Rotarua, I went there during christmas and they have a shuttle bus which takes you up to the top of the National Dh.

O+
Posted: May 29, 2009 at 17:14 Quote
I travelled NZ for 3 months in 2007 and it was amazing.

I didn't ride much on the North Island but I did a ton of the South Island. I didn't have my bike so I had to rent, and to get a high end bike it was almost $100 a day. That a lot on a backpacking budget but it was well worth it.

My fav trails were in Wanaka at the Sticky Forest (The Plantation). The shop there has trail maps and all the info to get you going.

Queenstown is awesome and there are some great trails plus Nathan's Dreamtrack if you want some big jumps and flow. Ton of DH trails in the Ben Lomond Forest as well as some great XC in Seven Mile. Vertigo bike shop is a great place to get info on local trails in Queenstown. Plus I did thier Heli-drop which was super fun. Not the most techy run but an amazing experience.

As most of the guys mentioned Rotorua is great, but it was pouring the whole time I was there so I didn't go.

I could go on forever. WAtch Drop-In New Zealand and it will give you some great ideas. Thats what I did. While you are there just go to the local bike shop or skatepark (there is one in every town) and the locals will hook you up. Kiwi's are super nice and fast as stink!!

Posted: May 29, 2009 at 17:31 Quote
yeh, good idea with Drop In New Zealand I bought it and defiantly shows alot of the best riding spots in New Zealand.

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 4:52 Quote
http://www.riderotorua.co.nz/ all the info you need about riding in Rotovegas. Cheaper to get around North Island, and close to Taupo, Hamilton, Tauranga and Auckland.

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 1:51 Quote
Really recommend Rotorua and the Whaka forest, its awesome the shuttle bus is great if you are more into the DH runs. You won't be disappointed... Great trails and excellent surface to ride on (has a pumice base, so lots of grip).

Makara MTB park in Wellington is also good, but a hike to the top if its the DH action you are into. Concur with all the comments on Port Hills and Queenstown etc, can't go wrong there.

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 2:00 Quote
photo

thats gorge road queenstown south island

photo

thats lismore park wanaka south island

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 at 1:35 Quote
coronet peak in queenstown, Port hills in Christchurch. just find some locals and ride with us ae

FL
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 at 1:44 Quote
come to christchuch. And then Queenstown and rotorua. Nothing costs except the lifts at coronet and the shuttle in christchurch or rotorua. when r u coming???

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 at 14:03 Quote
drflatty wrote:
come to christchuch. And then Queenstown and rotorua. Nothing costs except the lifts at coronet and the shuttle in christchurch or rotorua. when r u coming???
After I graduate from high school then I'm doing the Mountain Bike Operations program at the local university then probably after that. So in like 4 years. That'll give me enough time to save up all the money I need eh?

FL
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 at 22:48 Quote
sweet and all the tracks will have probably changed heaps. cool

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 2:14 Quote
Hopefully i'm not taking this thread off topic but i'm heading to hawkes bay these holidays and am planing to do some riding at eskdale and teradale DJ's. Just wondering if there are any locals here who know any good local spots or where not to ride cause it's a total waste of time. thanks!Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018443
Mobile Version of Website