Getting a laptop...Need some Advice

PB Forum :: Computers, Games & Technology
Getting a laptop...Need some Advice
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 22:33 Quote
I think we should get this back on topic before it gets locked.

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 22:41 Quote
creamsoda89 wrote:
stop! stop! i don't wanna have to go out and buy another gadget! gahhhh...

i'm happy with my ipod
i'm happy with my ipod
i'm happy with my ipod
*deep breath*

okay. don't make me want an ipod touch now, i won't have enough money for my bike and future trials bike >

i'll get it once they come out with more than 20 gigs of storage. so i'm guessing, the next time they update the touch it'll be 16 and 32 gigs? i'll get the 32 gig one then.

Dude. NO WAY. It's flash memory instead of the SD that the rest of the iPods have. It has to have flash to function at a reasonable speed. 16g of flash memory in that small a space is revolutionary. Don't expect to see twice that any time soon.

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 22:48 Quote
Aren;t there already 64GB CF cards? Thats small if you ask me.

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 22:52 Quote
CarbonOS wrote:
Aren;t there already 64GB CF cards? Thats small if you ask me.

Yeah but good luck finding a Kanguru Solutions 64g drive under $2500.

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 22:56 Quote
Ok seriously lets get back on lappys:

Tight budget: Dell
Got $ to spend: Sony, Alienware, Apple.

The choice is yours...

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 23:09 Quote
I'm writing this on a toshiba satellite u200, which I bought in august. I'm very happy with it so far. I wouldn't buy one of the cheap ones though, but your budget of $900 is exactly what mine was.

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 11:35 Quote

My buddy got that one and it completely crashed after a month or normal use, had to wipe the harddrive and reinstall windows due to the blue screen of death.

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 11:44 Quote
Get an Apple macbook. Best os in the world and best looking hardware. starts from £799 so a bargain.

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 15:16 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
Dude. NO WAY. It's flash memory instead of the SD that the rest of the iPods have. It has to have flash to function at a reasonable speed. 16g of flash memory in that small a space is revolutionary. Don't expect to see twice that any time soon.

no way? in a year they'll have a revision with at least 20 gigs, or the very least a price drop on both models.

i know it's flash memory... i follow my tech. haha

16 gigs of flash memory however, in that space, isn't as revolutionary as you might think. storage capacities have been steadily increasing per chip every year. 128 megs of ram on one stick, then 256, then 512, then 1 gig, and then 2, and so on. we'll see a 32gb ipod touch (or at least a 32gb SSD DAP) by 2009. Smile

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 17:03 Quote
UH... you don't need to wait till 2009 to see 32GB flash memory. Corsair Flash Voyager 16GB flash drive has already relased for a couple of month. 32GB MLC is already in production.

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 17:15 Quote
burnabycentral wrote:
UH... you don't need to wait till 2009 to see 32GB flash memory. Corsair Flash Voyager 16GB flash drive has already relased for a couple of month. 32GB MLC is already in production.

It still amazes me that not long ago a hard drive the size of a brick would only hold 8 gigs, now they get gigs into something 1 inch by 1 inch by something really thin.

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 17:36 Quote
Samsung already have reached capacity of 333Gb per 3.5inch platter. If they put in 3 of them in one drive like the 1TB Hitachi one, then they'll have 1.665 TB harddrive. Harddrive space have recently improved in capacity mainly because of Perpendicular Recording technology and the techonological advancement read/write head.

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 21:48 Quote
burnabycentral wrote:

i didn't say that, i was talking about waiting for a mainstream DAP manufacturer (which means it has to be pretty cheap by then for them to make a decent profit without selling the thing for a thousand bucks).

there's a 64 gb ssd in pre-production by Samsung, for laptops - read about it on engadget a couple of days ago
and apple's going to release a new ultraportable laptop soon, speculated to have an ssd...

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 16:10 Quote
creamsoda89 wrote:
burnabycentral wrote:

i didn't say that, i was talking about waiting for a mainstream DAP manufacturer (which means it has to be pretty cheap by then for them to make a decent profit without selling the thing for a thousand bucks).

there's a 64 gb ssd in pre-production by Samsung, for laptops - read about it on engadget a couple of days ago
and apple's going to release a new ultraportable laptop soon, speculated to have an ssd...

64GB SSD has been out for a while already.

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 7:11 Quote
yes, but is it affordable yet?

well i guess it depends on what you consider affordable....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015805
Mobile Version of Website