My Wheel Building Guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
My Wheel Building Guide
Posted: Dec 22, 2013 at 8:50 Quote
Nobble wrote:
aaronp12 wrote:
Hey guys, new dude here. I lost my front wheel and replaced it with a halo freedomdisc. thing is, i put my rn slayer in my jeep when i transport it and have to take the front wheel off each time (also how i lost the old one)

the dang 20mm hub adapters don't stick to the actual hub, so i would be facing a future of constantly dropping those things each time i remove the front wheel to load my bike. anyone came up with their own solution for this? magnets? and i don't want to talk to a scientist
just pull them off and put them in your pocket...
Grease em upWink

Posted: Feb 4, 2014 at 6:43 Quote
I'm going to ask this here, because it's somewhat relative to wheel building. It's about my rear hub. How do I get it "open", so I can clean it? I have no idea, because there is no bolts or anything around the freehub body. I have already removed one bolt and the sprocket in front of the freehub body, but how do I continue? Hub is WTB Superduty.
Pics:
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10579824/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10579823/
Thanks!

Posted: Feb 4, 2014 at 10:21 Quote
ercover wrote:
I'm going to ask this here, because it's somewhat relative to wheel building. It's about my rear hub. How do I get it "open", so I can clean it? I have no idea, because there is no bolts or anything around the freehub body. I have already removed one bolt and the sprocket in front of the freehub body, but how do I continue? Hub is WTB Superduty.
Pics:
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10579824/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10579823/
Thanks!

How do I get it open

How do I get it open

fyp

Edit: also looks more like WTB Single Duty.

Posted: Feb 4, 2014 at 10:50 Quote
I put only links on purpose to save space. I failed, it says Point Racing on my hub.Facepalm So looks like it aint WTB at all.tup I got confused about my front hub which is WTB Superduty.

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 at 14:07 Quote
HEy guy! I need help with spoke length... I used different calculator and it never gave me the same length...

I will use the newer Mavic EX823 (new decals) and a Canfield brother hub. I read somewhere that I need to use 16mm... I am really lost with the ERD of this rim because everyone is giving diffenrent diameter. XD

The hub spec:

150x12
Flange Diameter = 58mmm
Center to Flange Disk = 36.7mm
Center to Flange Drive = 29.3mm

Thanks a lot for helping me!!!!

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 at 23:46 Quote
scatology wrote:
HEy guy! I need help with spoke length... I used different calculator and it never gave me the same length...

I will use the newer Mavic EX823 (new decals) and a Canfield brother hub. I read somewhere that I need to use 16mm... I am really lost with the ERD of this rim because everyone is giving diffenrent diameter. XD

The hub spec:

150x12
Flange Diameter = 58mmm
Center to Flange Disk = 36.7mm
Center to Flange Drive = 29.3mm

Thanks a lot for helping me!!!!

I struggled to find an ERD when I was building mine, but I chose 528 and took 2mm off the calculated spoke length and worked perfectly (using 16mm nipples). Using DT Calc for your hub dimensions I calculated 256L and 255R; I would use 254 and 253 with the longer nipples if I were you (assuming 32h and 3 cross)

Posted: Mar 3, 2014 at 5:51 Quote
Thanks a lot dude!!!

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 3:24 Quote
No spamming. Make your own thread please.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 10:18 Quote
Reported for spamming.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 11:42 Quote
seraph wrote:
Reported for spamming.
Thanks Seraph.

Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 2:34 Quote
Hey everyone,

I'm building a new wheelset for my AM bike, but not really sure about the spokes I should use.
So far rear:
Shimano SLX M768 142x12 + Mavic EN521 32L
front:
Shimano SLX M768 qr15 + Mavic EN521 32L

The calculators say I need 3x16 of 260mm and 1x16 261mm spokes, so I hope I could get away with 64 260mm, which is pretty common I think.

So the question is, what type of spokes should I buy, DT champion seems like an obvious choice but they are quite expensive.. Sapim leader is strong enough?

Thanks in advance, Simon

Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 9:17 Quote
Hey guys, went through and did some work on my rear wheel today. Any suggestions on how "un-tru" a wheel can be. Meaning, it's off by maybe a little under an 1/8th of an inch. Is that acceptable do you think for a wheel that's about 2 years old?

EDIT: that's about 3 mm

Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 17:05 Quote
It can be as untrue as you like as youre not running rim brakes, but 3mm out is fine, kinda normal if you thrash the bike

Posted: Sep 18, 2014 at 10:34 Quote
High guys,
Can somebody help me out for the right spokelenght please.
I have a deemax ultimate rearhub and an ex823 disc rim
I've been searching for calculators for a while but they give me different results.
Thx

Posted: Sep 18, 2014 at 11:34 Quote
davidN3X wrote:
High guys,
Can somebody help me out for the right spokelenght please.
I have a deemax ultimate rearhub and an ex823 disc rim
I've been searching for calculators for a while but they give me different results.
Thx

Isn't that the same as the Deemax rim? Just contact Mavic.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013412
Mobile Version of Website