My Wheel Building Guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
My Wheel Building Guide
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 at 13:38 Quote
seraph wrote:
I almost never build to maximum recommended tension. Always a bit under. Build it, ride it, check tension again later.

It doesn't hurt to hit the maximum tension w/o tire. Tension will go down once a tire is mounted/inflated.

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 4:26 Quote
thesmokingman wrote:
seraph wrote:
I almost never build to maximum recommended tension. Always a bit under. Build it, ride it, check tension again later.

It doesn't hurt to hit the maximum tension w/o tire. Tension will go down once a tire is mounted/inflated.

Very true. What range of tension loss do you see per your builds? Ever increase tension after mounting a tire?

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 10:15 Quote
Aladin wrote:
thesmokingman wrote:
seraph wrote:

Very true. What range of tension loss do you see per your builds? Ever increase tension after mounting a tire?
I Balance my highside spoke (drivesideein rear and disc up front) to 120 KGF without a tire installed.

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 3:36 Quote
Has anyone had a problem with dt swiss pro lock nipples rounding over? Im getting the spoke tension up to 17-18 and anything past that they just round over

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 8:59 Quote
I don't use ProLock nipples because linseed oil is a superior thread locker.

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 9:23 Quote
seraph wrote:
I don't use ProLock nipples because linseed oil is a superior thread locker.

I think im going to quit using them cause it seems to be a common problem when i build my wheels. I built a buddies wheelset with blue loctite and plain raw alloy nipples and didnt have one issue with those. Both times i didnt lube rim or nipple interface

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 9:57 Quote
Another good option is Squorx nipples.

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 8:31 Quote
Does anyone have an opinion on the I9 Enduro S and the Spank Oozy 345 wheel sets.

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 10:50 Quote
THE-GUNT wrote:
Does anyone have an opinion on the I9 Enduro S and the Spank Oozy 345 wheel sets.

Don't like I9 hubs, they use tiny bearings.

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 2:08 Quote
Hi Guys.
I'm looking to lace a new rim (most likely Dt swiss ex511 to the existing hub from my bontrager line comp 30 wheel set as I have buggered the rims. ( On my remedy)(28hole)
The major piece of advice I am looking for is how to calculate the spoke legnth. The holes on the orIginla rim are slightly off centre so I wonder if the dish is the normal amount and therefore needs to be considered? I plan to just loosely lace the rim on and take it to the LBS for the final tension. Also is is recommened to use loctite or oil on the spoke threads?
If I went with a rim with the same depth as the ex 511, Eg. Ex471 would the spoke legnth be the same?
Thanks for any advice

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 20:17 Quote
OK I picked up a set of Novatec Straight Pull Road Disc hubs, specifically the D411SB and D412SB models. I'm having trouble getting the calculation right. I tried to input the numbers into the DT Swiss spoke calculator but I just want another sanity check before ordering spokes or getting them cut.

It's being laced to a rim with an ERD of 567mm and there's nothing special about it, no asymmetry, no offset, not internal nipple.

Specs from Novatec catalogue and their website (prior to their site redesign) are:

Front (D411SB):
PCD: 34mm
FTF: 63.6mm
Holes: 24
Offset: 3.2mm
OLD: QR/12/15x100mm

Rear (D412SB):
PCD: 34/47mm
FTF: 68
Holes: 24
Offset: 6.3mm
OLD: 135mm

Can someone double check what I've input into this calculator and let me know the spoke lengths they come out with? https://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/en/calculator

Posted: Nov 21, 2017 at 6:13 Quote
A symmetrical rims, gimmick?

Just wondered people's thoughts?

I just built a Front WTB Asym i23 on Hope pro 4 28hole, Sapim race spokes, brass black nipples. This will have been my 9th wheel I've built and I can see the negative of 28 spokes much more sensitive to tensions but anyway. What got me was the whole Asymmetric thing supposedly making for even tension but it hasn't it's virtually no different to any other wheel I've built on regular rims. 24 on a park tool non drive side and 21 on drive side.

Posted: Nov 21, 2017 at 9:04 Quote
Asym is pretty cool, it allows you to get better angles on your spokes for better bracing.

Posted: Jan 13, 2018 at 10:33 Quote
Does anyone have experience with both Flow MK3s and Arch MK3s for the rear wheel?

I'm building a 29 inch wheel set with DT Swiss 350s, Competition spokes, Flow MK3 for the front wheel and I'm stuck between a Flow or Arch for the rear wheel. Is the additional 67 grams on the Flow noticeable on long climbs and 6 hour rides? I'll be using a 2.3" Minion DHF and a 2.3" Aggressor depending on the conditions so the 26mm IW of the Arch will be fine but I'd prefer the Flow if the weight isn't noticeable.

I have a set with Arch MK3s on my 27.5" hardtail and they are great, they feel really light on the climbs but solid and sturdy in the rough stuff. They have taken a lot of abuse so I'm not worried about the durability of the Arch's. I'm only concerned with the weight difference.

Posted: Feb 17, 2018 at 13:37 Quote
So just rebuilt another wheel, people were quite right the Chain Reaction NukeProof Generator DH rims were made of cheese - survived one weeks riding in Gran Canaria staying true but didn't survive dent free so rebuilt today with DT Swiss EX471, very glad I bought the DT Swiss Squorks driver, would have been mega fiddly without it due to the washers.

Nuke Proof Generator DH WTB Frequency Team i25 rocks of Gran Canaria put a good old dent in it still it was a cheap chain reaction rim 23

Good bye dented Nuke Proof Generator DH hello DT Swiss EX471

DT Swiss EX471 built up on DT350 hub Sapim race DB spokes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018261
Mobile Version of Website