What do your parents/friends not understand about bikes?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What do your parents/friends not understand about bikes?
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 0:22 Quote
haha the whole kick stand thing is funny. my mom asked the same thing.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 0:24 Quote
tylerlewissmith wrote:
haha the whole kick stand thing is funny. my mom asked the same thing.
parents need to listen more.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 0:28 Quote
IanSunday wrote:
mtnbker395 wrote:
IanSunday wrote:
one of my biggest pet peeves is when you break something minor on your bike like a derailleur hanger and your parents give you a huge lecture on how your $3000 fr bike isn't meant for doing a 3 foot drop. Or when you try and tell them that you want a new fork (and im paying for it) and they wont let you because they think there's nothing wrong with your old one. for me, in a combined total of 7 riding hours Ive completely blown the internals of my 55's THREE times. they just dont understand that some things need replacing Madder
what the f*ck were you doing to do that?
nothing serious, the first time i gapped like 5 stairs, second was on a 4 foot drop, and the third i over shot a jump so about 7 feet to almost flat. and im a pretty smooth rider so i dunno Confused

ive had no problems at all with my 55s i even runing some downhill on them, no problems yet tup

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 0:34 Quote
my parents are cool about the whole thing. like buying mea xxxx for birthday and christmas combined when i wasnt expecting anything bike related at all. the only thing they dont understand is when i spend the whole evening (when its dark of course) on pinkbike.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 1:48 Quote
my grandad said to my freeride beast:

'why doesnt it come with an engine?'

Facepalm

My parents are ok about the whole thing apart from the expense and they dont like me saying i want new frames or anything but i can get new everything else! lol

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 1:59 Quote
nothing

dad rides cross country (minus the lycra, thankfully) mom rides road. they're used to spending money on overpriced bike products and how much you have to do to be good at something

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 2:21 Quote
I told my dad that I just placed an order for Specialized Enduro SL Expert 2009. My dad thinks that you can get a decent bike for less than a thousand euros. A few days later my brother bought Kona Firemountain for some 500 € for a casual ride. My dad cannot understand why my bike is so much more expensive and does not come with pedals on!

The funny thing is that my dad and his brothers all have huge Harley Davidsons and they put so much all kinds of special bags, nuts and bolts, etc. on to them that its almost ridiculous. My dad first bought the Sportster, then next year he sold it and bought the Night Train, the next year he sold the Night Train and bought the Road King. All new of course..

What's positive is that he does understand that it was wise from me buy the bike from (or actually in) UK. The bike costs only 2500 £ and with these rates in euros it's almost the same.

- Metallord

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 2:59 Quote
Upgrading... *sigh* they just dont get it. i bent the crap out of a WTB dual duty rim and i can get another for $70 or i could pay $100 and get some nice quality rims (and they are colored Wink ) but my rents have said that im not alowed to spend that kinda money when i can get the original product cheaper. also my forks are crap and i want to invest in some argyals but my rents say that "you already have forks. when get new ones?" BTW i will be paying for all of the parts.Facepalm

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 3:05 Quote
ha ha at all the kids , im a parent and i cant understand why i have to buy lots of pointless crap for my kids to break and not look after instead of spending it on new bike bits for me,

thinking about it you guys are pretty lucky as this generation of kids are growing up with mostly clued up parents who were themselves into or still are into ""urban or extreme "" sports , our parents thought a hoop and a stick were cool toys , have a bit more respect for your folks guys instead of dissing them on some web site

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 3:09 Quote
Flatulant-Primate wrote:
Why single speed is a good thing
why my $800 bike didnt come with a kickstandlol
im sure there are more but nothing comes to mind.

yea my mum was the say she was wondering how it stays up. i just told her "that you ride it!"

my mum rekons that all bikes should come with a kickstand,refectors,streamers from the hangers and a plastic basket on the front with little plastic daisys glued on. Oh and i almost forget to mention a BIG bright orange flag. haha.Dead Horse

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 3:32 Quote
My parents are pretty cool with my bike stuff, they dont bother me if i dont bother them because they know ill be responsible with my money. Also my mum sais that she'd rather me spend my money and ride a bike, than buy a car and race/drift it. But im more of a Kombi van hippy myself lol

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 4:16 Quote
unclebones wrote:
My parents are pretty cool with my bike stuff, they dont bother me if i dont bother them because they know ill be responsible with my money. Also my mum sais that she'd rather me spend my money and ride a bike, than buy a car and race/drift it. But im more of a Kombi van hippy myself lol

no offence but thats down right sad

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 4:29 Quote
the thing is with some parents is that they dont see the difference in parts for example: your after a new set of forks they would swing you towards the suntours where you would likely to snap them or buy a set of argyles or something and they last you a lot longer and be worth the money because whats the point of buying tat when it would break in a weak and pay half the amount of money orr buy a quality peice of kit where it would last the lofe of the bike for twice as much i dotn see the point in buying tat

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 4:34 Quote
connen31 wrote:
unclebones wrote:

Haha lol i know but i live on the gold coast so it's natural over here to ride in one. Back in NZ i would have never even looked at one.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 4:44 Quote
connen31 wrote:
unclebones wrote:

coming from a 14 year old who,s just getting pubes thats hilarious

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011380
Mobile Version of Website