Feedback on Avid Elixir CR install and thoughts...

PB Forum :: SRAM
Feedback on Avid Elixir CR install and thoughts...
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 at 20:35 Quote
not pulling too hard on the syringe is very solid advice. I have pulled air past the stopper before also and it isn't too hard to do. As a general rule, if the plunger is retracting from air lock, there's no need to pull any harder.

A

Posted: Jan 14, 2011 at 10:44 Quote
Thanx for posting all this usefull info made me feel alot better on my desicion just waitin for them to arrive

Posted: Jan 14, 2011 at 12:58 Quote
Thanks for bringing back a thread that was dead for just under a year...Beer

Posted: Jan 15, 2011 at 13:11 Quote
no prob just orderd a pair and was wondering what kinda feedback was on them. u still have them?

Posted: Feb 24, 2011 at 21:05 Quote
[/Quote] pulling too much vacuum on the elixirs can cause you to pull air into the system... somthing to do with the taperbore.[/Quote]

ahhhh. This must be my problem. The front brake is rock solid.

But I've bled the rear 3x now ! ... every time mushy lever.

I'll try a gentle pull on the syringe and report back.

Posted: Feb 27, 2011 at 17:13 Quote
Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having a hard time bleeding their Elixir Cr brakes...

The front brake was no problem - rock hard lever feel first bleed.

The rear brake however took me 4x to get the bleed right. (the mushy lever kept coming very close to the bar)

What worked for me was a combo of :
- following the printed directions in the Avid bleed kit.
- @ the caliper, DO NOT pull up too hard on the syringe.
- I didn't use a bleed block or even a pad spacer - just kept the wheel on w/ the rotor between the pads. Be careful.

Posted: Feb 27, 2011 at 17:49 Quote
Glad that worked for you - awesome! I found that without the bleed block in, the clearance was just too tight and the smallest disc distortion (even heat at times) would cause a rub. I agree 200% about being cautious not to pull air past the syringe seal... I found that without the bleed block, the system was overpressurized but I guess this varies for different bleeds. Sticking with the manual is key for sure as you need to make sure you get all the tiny bubbles out and you need to ensure the correct order when letting out the lever.... Youtube has a decent OEM bleeding video also.

A.

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 13:17 Quote
Also agree with not pulling too hard. When I first bled the elixirs, I was pulling on the syringe way too hard and kept pulling bubbles out (which in retrospect I was actually introducing air into the system past the syringe seal) Madder

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 19:14 Quote
Also, If anyone put Jagwire HyFlow brake lines on their Elixirs, you should know they will replace them w/ new improved hoses that don't expand under pressure. My brakes now go to 11. Razz

Talk to Tanner or MacLayne at Jagwire USA. Great customer service.

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 22:23 Quote
Client9 wrote:
Also, If anyone put Jagwire HyFlow brake lines on their Elixirs, you should know they will replace them w/ new improved hoses that don't expand under pressure. My brakes now go to 11. Razz

Do you mean they're an 11 out of 10 for performance or am I missing something?? Good to hear positive PR about Jagwire...

A.

Posted: Mar 26, 2011 at 16:53 Quote
neex wrote:
Client9 wrote:

Do you mean they're an 11 out of 10 for performance or am I missing something?? Good to heat positive PR about Jagwire...

A.

SPINAL TAP reference.

Posted: Mar 26, 2011 at 20:23 Quote
Absolutely fabulous. That was awesome. I guess I lead a sheltered existence. Wink

Posted: May 20, 2012 at 7:22 Quote
I want to change my 2011 elixir r's for new elixir crs, is it worth the $$$? how much weight am i goin to loose?

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033889
Mobile Version of Website