Can u use a moto-x helmet for freeride/DH?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Can u use a moto-x helmet for freeride/DH?
Posted: May 9, 2009 at 10:57 Quote
that is very true many people are now running neck braces like leatt adventure and such. but just wait till 661 launches theres.

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 10:57 Quote
ive been using a moto-x helmet (fly kinetics) for months now and i feel sefer than ever before. i think that if you get a carbon/composite one they are just as light as a mtb fullface.2 cents

FL
Posted: May 9, 2009 at 11:00 Quote
Yeah i rock an Adventure. So good, don't even notice it.
freeridesp1 wrote:
that is very true many people are now running neck braces like leatt adventure and such. but just wait till 661 launches theres.

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 15:46 Quote
bailey262 wrote:
ive been using a moto-x helmet (fly kinetics) for months now and i feel sefer than ever before. i think that if you get a carbon/composite one they are just as light as a mtb fullface.2 cents

i think that people would rather have a carbon mtb fullface because they are smaller in size, fit better, and cost much less.carbon mx helmets re a waste of money

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 15:59 Quote
I'd recommend it.

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 16:11 Quote
slopestyle123 wrote:
you can but it looks dumb

I wouldn't say they look dumb.... but I do thing that MX helmets make you look like a bobble head.

I much prefer the look of my fox rampage over my mx helmet.... it has a bigger field of view and more ventilation too.

The weight isn't a big deal to me.

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 16:21 Quote
MX helmet vs. DH bike helmet...personal preference

Here's the facts on the matter... there are several agencies that certify helmets for various activities here in the U.S.. SNELL, DOT, etc. A MX helmet is, most likely, DOT approved which means it passed a small group of tests pertaining to crush strength and whatnot. Bike-specific helmets don't have these same tests being as they aren't manufactured to withstand the same types of impacts. DOT helmets also have a minimum requirement for the locking mechanism on the chinstrap. No such thing for bike helmets.

To really dumb it down:

-a MX/DOT helmet is manufactured so that your head doesn't pop like a grape on the road when you get hit by a car. As long as you live, who cares about a concussion or neck injury. They also want to make sure that the outer shell doesn't break into shards that rip your carotids open.

-a DH helmet doesn't have to meet any of these standards of testing. THey can make them as light or as flimsy as they like (or the opposite). No car is going to hit you in a DH race and the only factor is gravity and a 50lb bike (at most). There are no standards in shell materials and the foam inside is much softer. A bike helmet is manufactured to prevent concussions more than anything else... hence the fact that they say to replace them after any impact.

There's a lot of info out on the testing and exactly whose helmets have passed what...if I can find it I'll post it up.

Hope that helps a little. I'm not bashing one or the other... I ride with both.

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 16:31 Quote
My 2 Cents- (well put bennance) I have raced mot-x and DH, and after breaking a full face bicycle helmet, I switched to my MX helmet for all dh freeride. You may not run the risk of getting hit by a car, but... hitting a rick sticking out of the ground or a tree at 40 - 50 mph can still kill you just as easily....(or cause major irrepairable head injuries) You can buy a quality mx helmet for $150. Most bicycle fullface helmets start at about that price, and just get rediculously expensive from there, My theory, pay the same $$$ and get better protection from and MX helmet. Who cares if you look like a bobble head, if you walk away from a gnarly crash!

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 16:32 Quote
sorry, hitting a ROCK, rick probably doesnt pose as much of a threat...

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 16:34 Quote
yeah you can but you'll look like a jippo

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 16:50 Quote
MDHdirtjump wrote:
bailey262 wrote:

i think that people would rather have a carbon mtb fullface because they are smaller in size, fit better, and cost much less.carbon mx helmets re a waste of money

true but if your going to get carbon you might as well go and get the one with the best protection.

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 16:55 Quote
even mtb fullfaces arent that protective...
he was wearing a giro remedy fullface and check this out
*snip*

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 17:06 Quote
Mx all the way. alot stronger. you only have one brain., better take care of it

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 17:14 Quote
I'm a big fan of MX lids nowadays. They're much safer, especially in the DH application. Many fullface MTB lids just need to be able to pass tests that allow the helmet to protect you from incidents pertaining to riding on pathways, not 70km/h down a trail. If you can save up the money and get a nice light MX helmet, the difference in weight it barely noticeable.

The main difference I've found is how hot the helmet is. Once you start riding, it's a none issue, but sitting around in the heat can warm your mellon up quite a bit. Fox V3 all the way boys!

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 17:57 Quote
mitcht wrote:
I'm a big fan of MX lids nowadays. They're much safer, especially in the DH application. Many fullface MTB lids just need to be able to pass tests that allow the helmet to protect you from incidents pertaining to riding on pathways, not 70km/h down a trail. If you can save up the money and get a nice light MX helmet, the difference in weight it barely noticeable.

The main difference I've found is how hot the helmet is. Once you start riding, it's a none issue, but sitting around in the heat can warm your mellon up quite a bit. Fox V3 all the way boys!

Yeah dude! I got one, too!! Nice and very air-flowy. And its like less than 6 pounds i think? Or somethign light. I might have the measurement wrong. But I love mine!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011457
Mobile Version of Website