Powered by Outside

Rattling noise near headset/forks.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Rattling noise near headset/forks.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 16:25 Quote
Well i am currently having trouble with my headset/forks. Everytime i ride it and go over bumps etc i can hear some kind of rattling on the front end. I have an integrated headset with 05 marzocchi DJ 3 forks. The top cap and stem are on as tight as poss and i really need to stop the noise as it is driving me crazy!

Anyone got any ideas?

Oh and also when i just pick my bike up and drop the front end down it does it pretty bad too.

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 16:29 Quote
its not the brake levers is it?

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 16:30 Quote
or it could be ur hub. the cones might need tightened

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 16:32 Quote
Nope def not brake lever. Could be something to do with the hub, although im pretty sure its coming from near the headset/forks.

How do you tighten the cones?

Also, can you think what else it could be?

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 16:39 Quote
your brake cable hitting your frame.. rattling around... lol. hold your top tube and try to move your stem/headset forward and back.. if it moves.. it's loose lol. then it might be that if not, that's all i can think of... but then again every bike has it's own rattle here or there...

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 16:42 Quote
if it is your headset that's loose, and you say the bolt is tight, then an extra spacer may help. have you got a picture of the area ?

Posted: Apr 12, 2009 at 7:37 Quote
as long as you can't feel any movement when you jiggle the bars then you should be all good. put the front brake on and gently push forward, if you can feel a small amount of movement then it may still be the headset.
if not then try pushing against the side of the front wheel to see if there is any play, if so then its probably the hub.

i've got a few rattles on my bike and its almost brand new, just have to keep on tightening things up every now and then. theres a sqeaking from by bottom bracket everynow and then, but i can't figure out what it actually is.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.080905
Mobile Version of Website