Dual Crown Forks on hardtail frame? is that really bad?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Dual Crown Forks on hardtail frame? is that really bad?
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 2:14 Quote
connorridesbmx wrote:
murdoc wrote:
i had the exact same idea lol, but it isnt worth it. your frame isnt that beefy to handle it, i have a kona hoss, those things are unbreakable (fat man bikes), and people laughed at the idea. seriously it isnt worth it.

Damn, i never thought i would see those 2 words in the same sentence

hahahahaha

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 2:14 Quote
amiright wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
sounds like you'll be fine for a bit if you aren't doing huge stuff

but if he's not doing huge stuff then it makes it even less worth it.

the sell the dual crowns and get a really nice set of SCs

Agreed!!!!

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 3:21 Quote
connorridesbmx wrote:
murdoc wrote:
i had the exact same idea lol, but it isnt worth it. your frame isnt that beefy to handle it, i have a kona hoss, those things are unbreakable (fat man bikes), and people laughed at the idea. seriously it isnt worth it.

you saying kona frames break? i dare you to find a kona frame that has broken. made in the last 4 years.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 3:59 Quote
that probably wouldn't be difficult, there will be bike frames from pretty much any company that will have broken while less than 4 years old.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 4:06 Quote
murdoc wrote:
mtbniall wrote:
bigquotes
you could be eating metal. i've seen steer tudes ripped off by running dual crowns. There are some HT's that can handle it, but not that many. A friend of mine has a nice scar from doing this, but i never had any problems running boxxers on my Craftworks rail at the time.

yeah, theres that banshee, cant remember the name, and a few evils will do the job. but i wouldnt do it on his frame, nothing against the frame, but it wasnt made for that Razz
I believe it was the morphine great bike my friend has 1

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 4:26 Quote
Really not worth it. Handling gets bad, heavier front end aswell. Well, maybe you'll like it, who knows. I didnt. I have an Banshee morphine (taking up to 200mm dual crown) and put a 888 on it, rode it a while, didnt like it much. Using 66 instead, much better... There are quite few frames that can handel dual crown's, Banshee Morphine, Evil Imperial, (and those copys of imperials, called cocker's i believe), .243 racing, some Norco.
Id say if you really want a dual crown, try it before and get a frame that can handle it.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 4:36 Quote
thezodiac wrote:
Really not worth it. Handling gets bad, heavier front end aswell. Well, maybe you'll like it, who knows. I didnt. I have an Banshee morphine (taking up to 200mm dual crown) and put a 888 on it, rode it a while, didnt like it much. Using 66 instead, much better... There are quite few frames that can handel dual crown's, Banshee Morphine, Evil Imperial, (and those copys of imperials, called cocker's i believe), .243 racing, some Norco.
Id say if you really want a dual crown, try it before and get a frame that can handle it.
thanks dude, i will try it i think, but i migth buy some dh frame.to much shit about this , i don wanna get hurt too.

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 10:53 Quote
murdoc wrote:
connorridesbmx wrote:
murdoc wrote:

you saying kona frames break? i dare you to find a kona frame that has broken. made in the last 4 years.
yeah you're right. To be honest though, "connorridesbmx" lives in canada and rides bmx (see i can do bold to)! Out of all the riding styles you can choose, why bmx? IN CANADA?!?!?!

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 11:16 Quote
What is wrong with BMX in Canada?

As for this topic goes; I have a dual crown fork on my Norco Manik. I can't wait until I can afford to get rid of it and get a 55 or 66 single crown fork. It is just useless being on a hardtail.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 11:21 Quote
you could do it but it was designed around a 80mm to 100mm frok so it would probly feel like shit....

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 11:28 Quote
Canadmos wrote:

As for this topic goes; I have a dual crown fork on my Norco Manik. I can't wait until I can afford to get rid of it and get a 55 or 66 single crown fork. It is just useless being on a hardtail.
i think i have to do the same or get a dh frame

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 11:29 Quote
ezersantos wrote:
Canadmos wrote:

i think i have to do the same or get a dh frame
i think u are rigth, i m new with all these and i think i m just wasting money, i have to get things rigth

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 11:35 Quote
connorridesbmx wrote:
murdoc wrote:

unless, of course there is an ARENT between them.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 11:45 Quote
PBPphotog wrote:
connorridesbmx wrote:
murdoc wrote:

unless, of course there is an ARENT between them.
thats funny

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 11:46 Quote
243 frames and some others can handle dual crowns. a lot of it has to do with the angle of the headtube (and some to do with the strength). If you ran a 66 or a totem on most hardtail frames you would also risk snapping the headtube. The main reason to put a dual crown on a hardtail is to ride downhill or north shore (on a hardtail). People choose to do this because it's more challenging, more fun in some people's opinion and it forces you to become a smoother rider by choosing better lines. The downhill hardtails i have seen and built myself have used smaller dual crown forks like the old junior t's. Running a 888 would put even more pressure on the headtube as it has more travel.

Also, the argument that he is only starting out and doing small stuff is misguided. he is more likely to nosedive or not land smoothly which will greatly increase the risk of snapping the headtube.

TO SUM UP: there is nothing wrong with running a dual crown fork on a hardtail frame. However, there is a big problem with running a dual crown fork on YOUR FRAME.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010921
Mobile Version of Website