Powered by Outside

More important: Derailluer or Shifters

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
More important: Derailluer or Shifters
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 16:27 Quote
I am looking at getting new shifters.

Now I have an X.9 rear derailleur and SX 4 shifters.
Should I upgrade to the X.9 Shifters and only get the X.7 rear derailluer when I need a new one, or get X.7 Shifters and get a X.9 rear derailleur?

Essentially what I'm asking is what is more important, the derailleur or shifter?

And do you think it would be worth it to get the X.9 stuff over the X.7? is the upgrade worth the money?

Mod
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 16:30 Quote
I had the same problem. My local shop has some guys that tried out the combo and the said the x7 derailler worked almost as good as an x9 when paired with the x9 derailler.

Plus, I couldn't justify spending $50 more for the x9 when it's likely just going to get ripped off by a rock or stick anyways.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 16:33 Quote
Also consider how much you shift. I almost bought an XT derailler but decided not too as I realized I don't even shift that much, I'd say go with the X7 stuff and keep your hard earned cash.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 16:43 Quote
derailleur is more important why do you think they put X5 shifters with X7 derailleurs and X7s with X9s etc

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 16:44 Quote
Ya that is what I was thinking.

I think Im going to go with the X.9 Shifters, which are a huge upgrade from what I have, and then when my derailleur gets ripped off, im going to get the X.7. And I agree, I want to save my hard earned cash.tup Biking is expensive.

Thanks

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 18:56 Quote
id go with X7 shifters and X9 derailleur IMO

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 19:09 Quote
your derailleur will only work as well as your shifter. I run an X0 shifter with an x-9 derailleur.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 19:11 Quote
jakal44444 wrote:
derailleur is more important why do you think they put X5 shifters with X7 derailleurs and X7s with X9s etc

they upgrade the mech as a selling point,all of the actuation and meshing of gears happens inside the shifter,shifters are far more important.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 19:14 Quote
i agree a better shifter is more important and i run an x0 with x7 derailer

Posted: Apr 19, 2009 at 16:42 Quote
marquis wrote:
jakal44444 wrote:

they upgrade the mech as a selling point,all of the actuation and meshing of gears happens inside the shifter,shifters are far more important.
i disagree they do it because it is unneccesary to have a better shifter than derailleur its just an unneeded expense

Posted: Apr 19, 2009 at 17:08 Quote
Better shifter means better precision and slightly quicker gear shift while upgrading derallieur will provide better chain tension and overall drivetrain stability. If you shift the gears often, go for the better shifter, if you prefer to stay longer at one gear and keep your fingers out of a trigger, upgrade derallieur.

Posted: Apr 19, 2009 at 17:15 Quote
DannyOne wrote:
Better shifter means better precision and slightly quicker gear shift while upgrading derallieur will provide better chain tension and overall drivetrain stability. If you shift the gears often, go for the better shifter, if you prefer to stay longer at one gear and keep your fingers out of a trigger, upgrade derallieur.
that works to lol

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 8:05 Quote
jakal44444 wrote:
marquis wrote:
jakal44444 wrote:

i disagree they do it because it is unneccesary to have a better shifter than derailleur its just an unneeded expense

its kinda hard to tell you otherwise so i will give up now,but be assured your wrong.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 10:55 Quote
check out the pros bikes, you'll see alot of x-0 shifters with x-9 derailluers.

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 20:45 Quote
The derailleur just follows the shifter so obviously a good shifter is more important. I also run a X0-S + X9-D setup. It rocks!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016926
Mobile Version of Website