Got him! Check this out and give me your opinion on what I should do!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Got him! Check this out and give me your opinion on what I should do!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 12:32 Quote
A year ago, my bike was stolen during exams. It was nothing special, with a Trek Bruiser frame, and a shit ton of money put towards DJ 3 forks, MTX wheels, and so forth, but it was mine! A year passes, I have a new and better bike; a STP Lenosky with new MTX wheels and some colour matched Odyssey Jim C pedals, when my friend stops me in the halls and says,
"Yo man, I found the doucher who stole your bike!"
He says it was a Heights kid (no offence to those who happen to reside in the Preston Heights, but this is the sketchier part of my home town, where a sketchy group of people happen to call this neighborhood their home. This kid included.) who went to our school.
"Ya man, there's a picture of him sitting with your ride right beside him on facebook."
I check it out and sure enough, there's the little f*** with my OLD baby beside him.
I copied the screen shots so I have the evidence, but I also have a better bike that was bought with insurance money from that stolen bike.

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 12:37 Quote
If you have proof that it was yours go the cops and then get it back. My bike was stolen and I found almost a year later only a block away from were it was taken, I stole it back, it was leaning up against a parking meter.

Mod
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 12:43 Quote
Since insurance paid out, the bike is no longer yours. It becomes the insurance company's property. You got a better bike as a result so what is there to complain about. Yes, it is a piss off that your original bike was stolen but there are much worse things in life to worry about other than a sub $1000 bike. If I were you, I'd tell the police that you know where your bike is so they can go and get it back and arrest the person. That will make for one less bike thief in the community.

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 12:49 Quote
yeah even tho its not yours get the popo involved Id love to see the look on the kids face when they show up at his house.

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 13:28 Quote
My Trek Y bike was stolen from the back of my truck in early 1999. It was my pride and joy; I had it "all built up" for DH. Shortly thereafter, the insurance company bought me a far better bike and I never really missed the Y after that, other than the fact that it had all custom parts.

In 2007, eight years later, I was driving home on the freeway when I spot a Y bike on the pedestrian overpass. I instantly remember my old Y...sniffle... As I get closer, it starts to look more and more familiar (I had a mishmash of colorful parts on it) and just as I pass under the overpass, I see the clincher - the extremely rare road seatpost that I used as a layback post.

My mind started racing. As I got closer to the next exit, I started thinking, "where did that overpass go?", "can I find that guy before he leaves the area", "where is my tire iron?" Then just as I came to the exit, I decided that an old bike that I had replaced eight years earlier was not worth the wild goose chase or the confrontation.

I do agree that you should get the police involved.

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 17:28 Quote
Definitely get the pigs involved, if the kid gets away with robbery he won't stop doing it.

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 17:39 Quote
I called the po, they showed up at my house and saw the pictures and said, "ya, we've dealt with this guy before" and, "we'll go up there right now, we don't even need to ask his address, and we'll get back to you." This all happened on Wednesday night, and it's Sunday night now and haven't heard anything. Big surprise I guess.

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 17:44 Quote
get the cops involved and see if you can get your deductable out of the little douche...

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 17:51 Quote
Unless he flatout admits he stole the bike, it's hard for them to prove he took it (especially as it was stolen 1 year ago - I'm skeptical if he could even be charged with something that far in the past given that it's theft under $5000).

Also, consider that somebody else could have sold it to him, even if he was in posession of it. I know that sounds like a bit of a stretch, but you can't immediately go and hang somebody without doing a report or investigation first. Heck, paperwork is what takes up the most time of police work anyways.

Best case scenario in my opinion, the kid forfeits the bike, doubt the kid will learn his lesson, but who knows. Better the police are aware of it though.

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 17:57 Quote
steal the bike back! and call it a day, insurance companies suck anyways.

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 18:19 Quote
steal it back man, the cops dont do shit all about theft, trust me. ive had trucks stolen and only ever had one found by the po, and it was stripped in a parking lot, the other times i found them on the indian reserve in caledonia (where everything stolen goes)go steal it back, jump the kid if you feel like it. but trust me, if you havent heard by now, the cops aint doin shit

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 18:34 Quote
actually it IS an offence to have the bike. It is POSSESION OF STOLEN PROPERTY. They may choose not to arrest, fine, process the rat for such a minimal charge, but you will get the bike back. If he is on probation, then things might be different for him. If you wait for the cops you may never hear about it again, if you follow up, you may get to go identify the bike and claim it.

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 19:18 Quote
i stole my bike back and told the po i stole it back from the guy and thats how they could catch him.

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 19:28 Quote
my car was broken into and i had my brand new Giant Glory8 stolen from it...the police said that if i find it...take it back...insurance did pay for it...but hey if the police said take it back...hell...i paid $3500 for it...its still mine!!1

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 20:08 Quote
spencer666 wrote:
If you have proof that it was yours go the cops and then get it back. My bike was stolen and I found almost a year later only a block away from were it was taken, I stole it back, it was leaning up against a parking meter.
LOL idk why but this just sounds funny
wanna tell everyone how you took it back lol did u just run up to it and speed away?

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012581
Mobile Version of Website