Were can i get a shifter for my down tube?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Were can i get a shifter for my down tube?
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 17:05 Quote
tacobell123 wrote:
why not tape rear shifter cable and rear brake together and run the front cable through the steer tube

ya! every time you brake your derailleur jumps around. how do you shift back down though? bend the brake lever? tape works real well to hold cables under pressure together. I'm sure all suspension bridges are held up by dental floss and duct tape. Rolleyes

THINK

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
Part of it is that he probably doesn't shift during a run - it's just a convenient ability to change gears without locking into singlespeed. Get bar-end shifters and fabricate a mount and then you can sell them to the kids who have white components!

Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
odin333 wrote:
tacobell123 wrote:
why not tape rear shifter cable and rear brake together and run the front cable through the steer tube

ya! every time you brake your derailleur jumps around. how do you shift back down though? bend the brake lever?

THINK

That was a stupid comment met with a stupid comment. Obviously tape the outer cable.

Come on Odin, you rock too hard to be dumb.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 17:08 Quote
odin333 wrote:
tacobell123 wrote:

ya! every time you brake your derailleur jumps around. how do you shift back down though? bend the brake lever? tape works real well to hold cables under pressure together. I'm sure all suspension bridges are held up by dental floss and duct tape. Rolleyes

THINK

He means the housing . . . tape the housing together. Not the cable itself.

Hombre3000 wrote:
Part of it is that he probably doesn't shift during a run - it's just a convenient ability to change gears without locking into singlespeed. Get bar-end shifters and fabricate a mount and then you can sell them to the kids who have white components!

Or kids that have, dare I say it? XC parts on SS bikes?!

Hombre3000 wrote:
odin333 wrote:
tacobell123 wrote:

THINK

He means the housing . . . tape the housing together. Not the cable itself.

yeah i realize that after. he said cable though, so technically i was right with what i said.

Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 17:30 Quote
sherbet wrote:
odin333 wrote:
tacobell123 wrote:

ya! every time you brake your derailleur jumps around. how do you shift back down though? bend the brake lever?

THINK

That was a stupid comment met with a stupid comment. Obviously tape the outer cable.

Come on Odin, you rock too hard to be dumb.

That just made my day!

Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 17:33 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:

That just made my day!

hey, no problem. Dead Horse

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 17:39 Quote
you could also instead of running this just get an axiom no-railler and yet leave your whole casset on your hub so that way you dont even need a cable or shifter at all and yet you can still change gears between runs with just using an allen key to adjust the placement of the tensioner.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 17:50 Quote
the-ultimate-cyclist wrote:
you could also instead of running this just get an axiom no-railler and yet leave your whole casset on your hub so that way you dont even need a cable or shifter at all and yet you can still change gears between runs with just using an allen key to adjust the placement of the tensioner.

Fair idea. Just modify an allen key to stay in the bottle cage mounts or something. That would be cool.

Even better . . . get a SS hub and build a small cassette, like 5 gears. That way the little tensioner won't have a huge range to take slack for.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 17:53 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
the-ultimate-cyclist wrote:

Fair idea. Just modify an allen key to stay in the bottle cage mounts or something. That would be cool.

Even better . . . get a SS hub and build a small cassette, like 5 gears. That way the little tensioner won't have a huge range to take slack for.
yeah well back when i was running that i was just using a 9 speed road casette.

theres pics somehwere in my album i will try to find them.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 18:03 Quote
photo

photo

photo

i was running the no-railler on the cassette for a while but i guess i just never bothered taking pictures unntil i converted it to single speed but you can pretty much do the same thing if you look where i am still running the derailleur but without the shifter i just have the cable being held in one of the mounts and then you cann switch gears by just turning the barrel adjuster.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.026711
Mobile Version of Website