Am i improving? How can i improve more? *Newer vids on page 5 and 6*

PB Forum :: Beginners
Am i improving? How can i improve more? *Newer vids on page 5 and 6*
Posted: May 2, 2009 at 13:05 Quote
method said before just hold on to your handle bars (deathgrip). and also get into the flow of the tracks that your riding you'll soon find out that the faster you go the easier things are.

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 13:18 Quote
lean into the berms more, i noticed that you try to keep the bike upright, thus you get quite sketchy on the steeper berms. Try sessioning a berm and keep doing it til you start to get speed and lean into the berm, then afterwards when you get more confident, pump the berm for more speed.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2009 at 14:15 Quote
I wondered how llong it would take for the haters to arriveBlank Stare

Posted: May 3, 2009 at 14:59 Quote
admarshall wrote:

they already had a prick a few posts up, already had a rant Smile

O+
Posted: May 3, 2009 at 15:08 Quote
dangilbert wrote:
admarshall wrote:

they already had a prick a few posts up, already had a rant Smile
You have to love pinkbike rants - otherwise you'd have deleted your account long ago.

Posted: May 3, 2009 at 15:14 Quote
Surprised it hasn't been said yet but , dude, Have Fun !!!!!

Don't think about " Oh am I improving?" and forget about all the negatives just chill and have fun. You'll find your self getting quicker. MBUK had something about this 2 months ago in their magazine.

edit: http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/technique-step-it-up--21014

Posted: May 3, 2009 at 15:19 Quote
the only reason i like to race and in general bike is to have fun if you dont improve at all (which you will) as long as your having fun and loveing the sport there is no reason to make this kind of thread. if you really want some help the best advice i can give you is watch other more advanced riders bike and ask questions also think of your bike as your lower leg and you as your upper leg you both can move seperatly but the knee is always connecting you to together dont let the bike ride you, ride the bike

thanks
Dhrider

Posted: May 3, 2009 at 15:44 Quote
It seems that in the videos you are holding back so that you can say "Oh but I wasn't trying" when someone watches the video and says it's crappy riding. (Which it is in the video- sorry... I'm sure you've gotten better since then.)

It looks like you were coasting the vast majority of the time... some trails are meant to be taken with a lot of speed and will be much more flowy and smooth if you hit it like it's meant to be hit.

...but I don't know what exactly you're looking to improve, hitting jumps and trailriding just comes natural to me so it's very hard to give advice.

Posted: May 4, 2009 at 1:56 Quote
cheapbike wrote:
It seems that in the videos you are holding back so that you can say "Oh but I wasn't trying" when someone watches the video and says it's crappy riding. (Which it is in the video- sorry... I'm sure you've gotten better since then.)

It looks like you were coasting the vast majority of the time... some trails are meant to be taken with a lot of speed and will be much more flowy and smooth if you hit it like it's meant to be hit.

...but I don't know what exactly you're looking to improve, hitting jumps and trailriding just comes natural to me so it's very hard to give advice.

Thanks... i'm not holding back though so i can say i wasn't trying... i genuinely want some tips to help me get faster and ride better... like i said i've only been riding probably once every month so i haven't had much time to practice... but when i get my new bike i'll definately try to improve faster!!

Posted: May 5, 2009 at 8:23 Quote
hi Bullboy

If you want a real improvement, why not taking a course. We proposed Mountain Biking courses in Whistler in Canada for this summer, have a look at our website.
http://www.basecampgroup.com/mountain-biking.html

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 11:56 Quote
Thanks for the tips people!
Any recommendations for a new bike?
got around 900 to spend and i want something that'll do trails and handle fr/dh stuff.
Thanks

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 12:00 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
I'm no where an expert but you seem to be very stiff on the bike, as someone above said just relax and let the bike move around you.
on the same idea learn how to pump im not the greatest coach but ya it will make you alot faster

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 12:02 Quote
you seem to be a very big pussy who isn't pushing himself hard enough

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 12:12 Quote
ride whistler for a day or two and you will see an improvement

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 12:20 Quote
I think people have coevered pretty much everything in this thread already (haven't really read it all). Remember that the faster you are go, the faster your tyres roll and the more traction they have. Going faster will also help you to just glide over the bumps instead of being pushed aside by them like in your first video. Also slowing down too much (I'm talking about really slowly) before a tricky section, even though it's a human reflex, is one of the worst things you can do (I didn't notice you doing it in your vids, but I'm just gonna mention it anyway), as you lose all your traction, most of your balance, and your flow. Try and stay calm too - you will end up making less mistakes and having more fun. And if you're stiff and scared and you think you're gonna fall, you often will fall. And if you're all stiff when you fall, you will have more chance of hurting yourself.

Also I'm sure pumping has been mentioned somewhere in this thread. Also try and improve your flow, smoothness and style which will help you stay calm on the bike and will make sure that you're always in control. You'll end up going faster too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021973
Mobile Version of Website