Weird things going on with my bike?!?!?!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Weird things going on with my bike?!?!?!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 17:29 Quote
I have an "issue" with my bike. Whenever I lift the bike up, and set it down, it seems as if the fork is really loose in my headtube, and my frame wobbles back and forth when I push the handle bars forward. What should I do, I am afraid I will rip the headtube off if I ride it!!!:mad5Cry

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 17:33 Quote
you need to tighten your headset.

loosen up your stem (and upper crown if its a dual crown) and then tighten the top cap. then tighten your stem again, this should fix it.

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 17:34 Quote
How do I do that, and how much would a LBS charge to fix the problem?, I dont want to mess it up.

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 17:39 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/headset-threadless.jpg
ok. here you go loosten the 2 pinch bolts, and tighten that top screw on the "top cap" but not too tight. try tightening it and turning and dropping your bike again, and decide whats best. then tighten the pinch bolts Smile

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 17:41 Quote
this looks confusing^

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 17:42 Quote
no, its really not. thats a road bike, but it should be the same as yours. do you have a single or dual crown fork?

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 17:43 Quote
just take it to your LBS, they should do it for free. it takes 30 seconds to fix

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 17:43 Quote
krazer wrote:
How do I do that, and how much would a LBS charge to fix the problem?, I dont want to mess it up.

good advice ^^

but if you feel brave little trickey but possible. you cant over tighten it because you will pull threw your star key but if its to loose you will ovalize your top tube. just loosen your stem and tighten it little bits at a time until theres no play.

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 17:44 Quote
a single, but I have no spacers, and I cant get my head around that diagram, it just looks... confusingVery confused

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 17:46 Quote
ok.

1. the 2 silver screws on the vertical part... loosten those.
2. tighten silver screw on top.
3. tighten 2 screws back down again

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 17:47 Quote
kev211 wrote:
ok.

1. the 2 silver screws on the vertical part... loosten those.
2. tighten silver screw on top.
3. tighten 2 screws back down again

that sould do it. just dont go mad at it and fool something up.

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 18:50 Quote
Thanks, its fixed now, I owe it all to kev211, thanks man!!

Posted: Nov 9, 2007 at 13:40 Quote
haha no worries. being a mechanic has its perks Big Grin

Posted: Nov 9, 2007 at 13:41 Quote
one more question, I took my deraliuer aprt, and cant get my shifter to work, what should I do?

Posted: Nov 9, 2007 at 13:45 Quote
did you get your deraileur back together again?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011466
Mobile Version of Website