Brakeless braking techniques?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Brakeless braking techniques?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 12:20 Quote
im building up a new bike not sure wether to go brakeless or not? like the idea but testing out down my road on my current bike its kinda hard. how do you non brakeless riders stop? ive tried putting my feet on the tires but they get shuved up and slip. any one got any ideas or other techniques?

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 14:58 Quote
I would say don't follow the trend. Run a good back brake and learn to footjam the front for stalls and such. There isn't really any good way to slow down with no rear brakes if your doing a decent clip.

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 15:22 Quote
just plant your feet on the ground. or learn how to do good foot plant skidders.

ive been brakeless for over 4 years and i can still do everything you can with brakes. Dont go brakeless just because everyone else is doing it, thats the wrong reason. i did it because its less to maintain, less to brake. makes the bike look a little cleaner. and it makes you commit to more stuff.

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 15:28 Quote
i would only run brakeless on a bike i built for DJ only. In that case a footjam would work for non emergency stops. Everything else is pretty much a bailout situation. Riding brakeless in the street is gonna get you run over by a Hummer

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 15:31 Quote
Learn to plant your foot on the tire properly, on the front brace your foot again the arch but don't jam it in there like you would with a foot jam. For the back plant your foot against the seatstay.

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 19:03 Quote
Show me a good nose stall brakeless on a box or vert wall whatever without the foot jam. The brakeless thing was started by flatlanders. Street riders that want to "man up" keep it going. The thing I hate to see is guys that are not good riders trying to ride brakeless because they think it will make them better. If you can't do it with brakes then chances are you can't do it without them. If you are still learning tricks keep the brakes, if you HAVE the tricks but want the finess maybe then go brakeless. Watch a pro ride with both brakes and one without and you will definatly see a differance in the trick list.

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 19:09 Quote
brakeless is like pot
all the cool kids are doing it but its just ridiculously stupid in the end
its literally common sense to have a back brake for those "holy f*ck i almost got nailed up the ass by a truck" situations
think about it

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 19:17 Quote
There are guys who rock brakeless, nuff said. IMO brakeless on the street should be against the law if it's not. You are a danger to the rest of the world weather you agree or not. If you get run over and killed by some mother because you screwed up, you just destroyed her mind because you were too cool to run brakes. Same as any place that is visited by kids that don't always know how to stay out of the way.

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 19:34 Quote
Find soft patches to ride through. A pile of leaves, or a patch of grass. These surfaces will help you slow down while you learn how to properly use your foot to stop.

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 19:37 Quote
corey-dh wrote:
brakeless is like pot
its literally common sense to have a back brake for those "holy f*ck i almost got nailed up the ass by a truck" situations
think about it
ever tried either of them
there fun
and guys its as easy as sticking your foot on the tire

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 19:43 Quote
xt-shreder wrote:
corey-dh wrote:
brakeless is like pot
think about it
ever tried either of them
there fun
and guys its as easy as sticking your foot on the tire

yes it is, i thought this was a joke but when i clicked on it i realized it wasnt.. hahahha i like some people comments about how it is dangerous to others around you and that.... that is the fun in riding, those adrenaline pumping moments when you almost die or what ever, call me dumb or crazy but i love brakeless bmx, my bike is my baby girl, i would never put breaks on it!

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 19:47 Quote
I know right, plus it makes alot of your tricks look cleaner, only thing thats really hard is doing abubacas on ledges

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 19:51 Quote
ricar wrote:
There are guys who rock brakeless, nuff said. IMO brakeless on the street should be against the law if it's not. You are a danger to the rest of the world weather you agree or not. If you get run over and killed by some mother because you screwed up, you just destroyed her mind because you were too cool to run brakes. Same as any place that is visited by kids that don't always know how to stay out of the way.
it's illegal to ride with any less than 2 brakes.
one front, one rear. both activated by separate controls.
that is the minimum required by law.

... I personally want dual discs up front on my FR rig like on motorcycles.Drool

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 at 19:55 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
ricar wrote:
it's illegal to ride with any less than 2 brakes.
one front, one rear. both activated by separate controls.
that is the minimum required by law.

... I personally want dual discs up front on my FR rig like on motorcycles.Drool
law requires you to have to have one breaking system that can skid on flat dry concrete, and i can do that with my foot in my tire
plus i can just put 24" wheels on it and no more laws cause it becomes a toy and not a veichal

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010792
Mobile Version of Website