How to build a cheap XC bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How to build a cheap XC bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 at 8:21 Quote
I notice a lot of posts from people asking what to buy on a serious budget. Most seem to want to buy new. I'm a big fan of buying used when I can - you can get great deals, and I think it's more environmentally conscious (that's my opinion, but that's another argument for another day). So for example here is my bike; it is a combination of bike parts from over the years. Maybe it'll give you some suggestions on where to find deals.

photo

I can't remember all the prices, so it's hard to say the total price. The point is that there are deals out there.

2001 Cove stiffee in mint shape w/xy seatpost, bb, headset, front derailleur $275 off eBay
2003 Vanilla 125 fork from Pinkbike for under $300 bought a few years ago.
Race Face Next LP cranks w/rings - bought a few years ago $130 off Bow Cycle classifieds
Candy pedals - brand new, bought from Pinkbike few years ago $70 i think
Mavic 519/XT wheels off Pinkbike a few years ago for under $100
Diabolous handlebar, evo grips, seat came off a complete used bike I bought
One LX and one Deore shifter were from an old bike; 6 years old and still going strong.
Avid BB7 brakes bought for $60 online.
Stem, tires, and things like chain and cassette were all bought new at one time.

I've got some good parts on there, although some aren't exactly new, but that doesn't really matter. I prefer to buy and build part by part, but one can do even better when buying a complete bike from the classifeds; you just have to be careful, as nothing will be perfect - it's definately good to be able to see the bike in person first.

Please post if you have additional tips.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 at 8:49 Quote
I love the suggestion of buying used. I don't know why more people don't consider it.

Another thing you can do is get a part time job at a bike shop. Bike shops of all sizes can always use a part time employee for the weekends. Plus you can learn a lot at the same time.

Posted: Nov 9, 2007 at 21:14 Quote
Or it's always good if you have friends who are part-whores so you can buy their barely used stuff when they want to get the latest and greatest new parts! (You know who you are...CP!) Razz

Posted: Nov 9, 2007 at 21:32 Quote
The latest and greatest improve your riding. Be it DH, FR or XC.

It's a well known fact! Smile

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 at 5:51 Quote
Everybody loves new stuff, don't they?
I am reusing my frame, and a few of the parts.
But, I hate to throw stuff out, too.
My 1995 Marin Team, used for pre-season road rides and city cruising, will be the recipient of the remainder.

Posted: Nov 16, 2007 at 8:20 Quote
Nice job building a pretty sweet HT! Is it the one you were riding on Jewel last month?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010405
Mobile Version of Website