2010 Marzocchi 888 A real threat to the lighter forks!

PB Forum :: Downhill
2010 Marzocchi 888 A real threat to the lighter forks!
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 at 17:09 Quote
rolto1822 wrote:
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
MountainFreedom wrote:
sometimes building material or people are to busy to pay attention to pay attention to what they are making so they might miss a part in the fork.....its happened

Either you don't know much about manufacturing or you don't like the Taiwanese. They work similar to a production line where one part is added at a time then moved to the next station, if the product arrives at the next station with the part not installed or installed incorrectly, the worker at the latter station can inform managers. This way they can be sure all production stages are done correctly and in a timely manor.

Also production quality in Taiwan is high, and if you didn't know most suspension companies already have factories there.
Yeah even for the 08 zocchis, it wasn't the workers fault for the issues, it was that they weren't properly trained. Most things are made in Taiwan or around there nowadays lol

dont forget china. too.

Posted: Nov 6, 2009 at 7:58 Quote
Has anyone had any vertical time on a 2010 888 WC EVO TI yet? If so how is it (ie: compared to 2007 888's RC2X)?

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 at 17:28 Quote
I just went through most of this thread and wow

Initial thoughts
It's not to long after interbike and I got a 888 evo in my grubby little paws. So after thrashing this fork a couple of days and getting it dialed in I decided to give you my initial views. Ok so this fork has a few knobs which to a novice can be a little overwhelming it has rebound and air volume on top left and compression on the bottom of the left leg and the spring preload is located on the top right. The one thing I did not like is the compression, preload, and air volume labels just say "hard - soft" and don't explain what they do individually.

Damping
Marzocchi said with the stock spring it could accomodate most users and bieng 200lbs of human wrecking ball figured I could put it to the test. The first thing I noticed on this fork was how much better small bump compliance this fork had over my 2009 Totem it felt very similar to the initial stroke of my 2004 888 works. The second was that with the use of the air volume knob I could control the progressiveness of this fork to match the rear which is not easy due to the bike bieng it's super compliant and then ramps up towards the middle of the stroke.

Ride
The ride of this fork is amazing it is so smooth and progressive all without dropping a ton of coin on custom tuning. I first let it rip on some fast single track with big flowy turns and nice water bars this fork stuck to the ground letting you easily breach the 30mph mark without blinking. The second part of my test was Colorado rock gardens which are very chunky with lots of loose rock trying to plow my way down the middle of chutes. I initially had to much compression and preload and not enough ramping that it made the bike a little uncomfortable at first but then with a few turns of the knobs and a trip back to the top I had this fork dialed. It took square edge hits very well without hard spiking and took some smaller 1-5ft rock drops at high speed with ease. I will further push this fork over time and hopefully after my foot is 100% I will get some 5-15ft drops in.

I will update long term testing as I ride but my initial thoughts are this is a solid fork with good tuning options without having to get it custom tuned.

Thanks to Mike and Chris at Marzocchi for getting me out so fast you guys are great
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 at 18:11 Quote
Dude that's a sexy bike. Holy crap.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 at 18:42 Quote
FuriousGeorge wrote:
Thanks the Canfield brothers have been real good to me

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 at 18:52 Quote
saamiam21 wrote:
FuriousGeorge wrote:
Thanks the Canfield brothers have been real good to me

GAWD!!! I wish I could afford to have them be nice to be me.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 0:03 Quote
Initial visual impression they still look super cheap. Will need to ride one this summer to give a true impression but there would need to be some serious changes to change me away from my new found love in rock shocks.

Ryan

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 0:45 Quote
veet-88 wrote:
Initial visual impression they still look super cheap. Will need to ride one this summer to give a true impression but there would need to be some serious changes to change me away from my new found love in rock shocks.

Ryan

That and vampires are scary.....Emo

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 11:18 Quote
veet-88 wrote:

Ryan

really? i think they look a huge amount more professional than the 08/09 forks. those graphics really didnt work IMO. that said, i think they would look better if they went back to having the stick on 'bomber' logo like in 06.
ive always used 'zocchi forks and theyve always worked perfectly for me. due to currently being on flawless 66s from 06, im not going to be changing for a while. When the time comes though, i have a feeling that i'll be extremely interested in this new model years products.

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2009 at 21:43 Quote
The thing I find makes them look cheap is just the lowers shape and the arch the old ones were so clean these look blocky and just gross.

Ryan

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 9:45 Quote
saamiam21 what model is it you have

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 11:13 Quote
veet-88 wrote:
The thing I find makes them look cheap is just the lowers shape and the arch the old ones were so clean these look blocky and just gross.

Ryan

ah yeah, you do have a point. i love the arches on the older forks. if i can, im gonna stick with my 66s until i absolutely destroy them, like snapping them or something. i'll just get them serviced if its just the internals.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 14:46 Quote
notallowedtoswear wrote:
saamiam21 what model is it you have
2010 888 rc3 evo

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 15:31 Quote
henryf wrote:
veet-88 wrote:

Ryan

ah yeah, you do have a point. i love the arches on the older forks. if i can, im gonna stick with my 66s until i absolutely destroy them, like snapping them or something. i'll just get them serviced if its just the internals.

I had a 06 66 I don't think you will be having any issues soon they are solid.

Ryan

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 15:33 Quote
awesome. ive had them a good half year or so, got them second or third hand from a mate. they took a beating out in france but are holding up. need an oil change and a service soon. i havent done one on them yet. i'll have to find a guide on how to do it on the internets somewhere.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013374
Mobile Version of Website