Industry 9 wheelsets...are they worth the money?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Industry 9 wheelsets...are they worth the money?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 11, 2009 at 19:32 Quote
Im currently between a few different wheelsets...i want something light...strong...but also something sick...something you dont see everywhere...i love the Industry 9's, they are just pieces of machining art...the new DeeMax is alright but ive heard good and bad...any suggestions or inputs?

Mod
Posted: May 11, 2009 at 19:45 Quote
The new Deemax pretty much have all the issues that the previous years' Deemax had solved for the most part so there should only be positive reviews of them. Their downfall was their rear hub but they have enhanced the design and made it better than ever. However, if you are still worried that they aren't up to snuff, you can look into the DT Swiss 2350 which have also undergone some change. DT makes a wicked hub but their rims used to be soft. They have changed the composition of their hoops this year and apparently, they are substantially stronger. Although I9 have the cool factor dialed, I don't think they are the best wheelset out there. Their new in-house hoops are lighter than ever and I don't think they are up to the rigors of DH. Personally, if you are going to spend close to $1000 if not more on a wheelset, I'd build one up. Get some CK hubs, DT Swiss 440, Hadley, even Hope Pro II and lace them up to Mavic 721, 729, or 823 hoops with DT Competion Double Butted spokes or, if you want a lighter wheelset, look at Sapim CX-Ray spokes.

2 cents

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 19:47 Quote
Why not get some I9 hubs and go from there? No need to buy I9's house hoops.

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 19:50 Quote
kings aren't bling enough anymore?

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 19:51 Quote
i would say go with some hadley hubs, there super light for how strong they are, come in a few pimp colors and they have wicked engagment. then get some double or triple butted spokes depending on what kinda riding your doing and get some light dialed hoops and your allset you can get just as a good of a wheelset for a little less money

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 19:56 Quote
this may be sacriligious haha but i hate the sound of Chris King hubs...i know theyre amazingly built and they are sick looking...i just hate the sound...i have a Ringle Abbah DH and i like the sound...theyre just lettin go a bit and arent hte lightest thing out there

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 19:57 Quote
betterthansx wrote:
this may be sacriligious haha but i hate the sound of Chris King hubs...i know theyre amazingly built and they are sick looking...i just hate the sound...i have a Ringle Abbah DH and i like the sound...theyre just lettin go a bit and arent hte lightest thing out there
You don't like "BUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!"? Shame on you! Razz

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 19:59 Quote
i have 3 king wheelsets, so i might be a little biased, but i don't find the sound to be an issue when you're actually riding. they're not super loud.

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 20:52 Quote
betterthansx wrote:
Im currently between a few different wheelsets...i want something light...strong...but also something sick...something you dont see everywhere...i love the Industry 9's, they are just pieces of machining art...the new DeeMax is alright but ive heard good and bad...any suggestions or inputs?

Like Laurie said, the issues with the old deemaxs have been worked out.

Im running 823s laced to gold hadleys and DT swiss competition spokes. Lightweight and bling.

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 10:51 Quote
betterthansx wrote:
Mavic has ALWAYS had issues with their hubs, not just on the deemaxs. The crossmaxs have shitty hubs and so do the ksyriums (the road wheels) mavic says they fixed all the issues, and it may be true. BUT they have always said they fixed all the issues, and the new deemaxs haven't been out long enough for people to know about long term reliability. I nines on the other hand are very proven wheels AND they cost less. I'm also sure they have mavic beat in quality and engagment

Mod
Posted: May 12, 2009 at 13:53 Quote
Even though Mavic has tried to fix the problem in the past, they didn't change the design/inner workings of their hubs. For 2009, they have. It is a new design that is different from their past designs so hopefully, the issues are fixed...

Although the I9 may cost slightly less, they have a hoop that sounds very similar to the old DT Swiss which were very soft! If you thought DT's hoops were soft, the I9 in-house rims are even softer as they are lighter than the DT hoop! I see serious strngth issues with their hoops. It will definitely be a disposable wheelset. If you get I9 laced to the EX823 hoop, you save a whopping 72 grams over CK hubs (heaviest out of DT, Hadley, and Hope) with DT Competition Double Butted spokes. Therefore, there are lighter wheelsets out there. I9 replacement parts/spokes are difficult to find as they aren't mainstream yet and not very many shops are carrying them. Proprietary aluminum spokes aren't as strong as their counterparts, are expensive, difficult to find, and can seize up. The choice is yours...

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 14:01 Quote
well i guess its a bit of a hassle for Industry 9 to put a different hoop on...i talked to a guy at my LBS and he was sayin that they CAN do it...they just have to source out the rim and it costs more...i weigh 240lbs and have Mavic ex729's for the past 3 years and had NO problems...true as the day i got them...so its not like i demo a wheelset fast...i just dont know whether or not the I9 rims will be suitable

Mod
Posted: May 12, 2009 at 14:47 Quote
I9 will build it no matter what. Before, you used to have to send them the hoops and some calculations but I believe now, you can just tell them the colors you want (spokes and hubs) and get them to lace it to a hoop of your choice. They'll get the hoops and price it accordingly.

I know that a custom Enduro Wheelset, Mavic 823, 135 x 10mm rear, 20mm front, blue hubs and silver spokes cost $1249.99.

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 15:05 Quote
yea i just dont want to "waste" my money...i know the rims may be a tad soft...but i think the hubs and spokes...just overall build...is better than mostly everything out there...

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 9:38 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Even though Mavic has tried to fix the problem in the past, they didn't change the design/inner workings of their hubs. For 2009, they have. It is a new design that is different from their past designs so hopefully, the issues are fixed...

Although the I9 may cost slightly less, they have a hoop that sounds very similar to the old DT Swiss which were very soft! If you thought DT's hoops were soft, the I9 in-house rims are even softer as they are lighter than the DT hoop! I see serious strngth issues with their hoops. It will definitely be a disposable wheelset. If you get I9 laced to the EX823 hoop, you save a whopping 72 grams over CK hubs (heaviest out of DT, Hadley, and Hope) with DT Competition Double Butted spokes. Therefore, there are lighter wheelsets out there. I9 replacement parts/spokes are difficult to find as they aren't mainstream yet and not very many shops are carrying them. Proprietary aluminum spokes aren't as strong as their counterparts, are expensive, difficult to find, and can seize up. The choice is yours...
Mavic did redesign their hubs, tell me how good they are when people have a couple seasons on them. I don't trust new parts that are untested, especially when the company has a history of issues

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011238
Mobile Version of Website