Cheap/free weight saving tips?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Cheap/free weight saving tips?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 15, 2009 at 12:18 Quote
just wondering if anyone has any budget weight saving tips;
i ride an 08 MirraCo Icon Intro, i'm brakeless and have cut down my seatpost to the minimum required length lol is there anything else i can do to decrease the weight? for free or little cash. prehaps cut off the brake mounts? or will that weaken the frame?

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 12:21 Quote
HazP-45 wrote:
just wondering if anyone has any budget weight saving tips;
i ride an 08 MirraCo Icon Intro, i'm brakeless and have cut down my seatpost to the minimum required length lol is there anything else i can do to decrease the weight? for free or little cash. prehaps cut off the brake mounts? or will that weaken the frame?

you could strip the paint off!!! i bet that would save weight

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 12:32 Quote
cut the wheel axels all the brake things the flanges off the grips change to plastic bar ends hope it helps

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 13:40 Quote
i did think about stripping the paint, but then it would rust quickly, could laquer over the raw metal but then isn't that pointless? cuz your basically repainting it? maybe just like one layer of laquer could be lighter but i dunno if all the sanding would be worth it lol

the wheel axles are super short anyway, the grips have been de-flanged, and i run one plastic bar end and nothing on the other end cuz it broke Rolleyes
i may take a hack saw to the brake lugs though, cheers

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 13:41 Quote
Do you really need to lose weight that much? I had mine down to 21lb and it just felt unstable. Your better off sticking to around 23lb-25lb

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 13:47 Quote
yeah you're right there, too light is bad but i think mines hovering just above 25lbs so i want to bring down a little bit, plus its rainy out and i wanna do someting with my bike lol
oh forgot to mention aswell, i have odyssey twisted PCs

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 13:49 Quote
kingc88 wrote:
cut the flanges off the grips

Wow. This has got to be the gayest shit I have ever heard.

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 13:50 Quote
Maybe cut the bars down? Lighter tyres? I dont know really i'm not really into the whole weight thing i just have a light frame.

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 13:52 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
Maybe cut the bars down? Lighter tyres? I dont know really i'm not really into the whole weight thing i just have a light frame.

Lighter tires help a lot. Also, you can get condom-thick tubes.

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 13:53 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
kingc88 wrote:
cut the flanges off the grips

Wow. This has got to be the gayest shit I have ever heard.

Haha i went flangeless by accident man, got some old ones off an mtb when my flangey ones wore out.

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 13:53 Quote
Tyres yes, But I don't think thin tubes are worth it.

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 13:56 Quote
HazP-45 wrote:
Haha i went flangeless by accident man, got some old ones off an mtb when my flangey ones wore out.

My old grips I made flangeless because they gave me blisters, but not because I was trying to lose weight, I swear this is getting ridiculous. Next they'll be telling you to take one or two pawls out of your driver to save those precious grams!

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 13:57 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
Stoked-Commencal wrote:

Lighter tires help a lot. Also, you can get condom-thick tubes.

yeah i guess they're relatively cheap, but i have pretty much zero cash at the momentBlank Stare

Stoked-Commencal wrote:

good idea, i would on cut like a cm off though lol pretty skinny anyway Razz

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 13:59 Quote
Go to the toilet before you go riding? Shave all your body hair?

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 14:00 Quote
Some of the dumps I've taken weigh more than my bars, so I say that's a valid argument!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009177
Mobile Version of Website