Kona Bikes. NO HATERS ALLOWED

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Kona Bikes. NO HATERS ALLOWED
Posted: May 23, 2009 at 20:29 Quote
My friend owns a 09 stinky and he really likes it and i have rode it a few times and it seems prety smooth

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 20:31 Quote
alex-ripper wrote:
My friend owns a 09 stinky and he really likes it and i have rode it a few times and it seems prety smooth
it looks pretty plush, but its hard to tell wut it will be like when i get it. :s

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 20:46 Quote
harorida123 wrote:
alex-ripper wrote:
it looks pretty plush, but its hard to tell wut it will be like when i get it. :s
I'm probably throwing an Elka on mine at the end of the summer

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 20:50 Quote
I would probably stick with a single crown fork seeing as the 09 Stinky has a 1.5 headtube. It's a sick setup either way though.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2009 at 22:14 Quote
i know this sounds weirdConfused , but all the long travel konas iv riden i havent liked but all the short travel konas i have liked. The stab i rode just felt to massive and unmanoverable. Iv riden several stinkys and they seem like good freeride bikes that absorb hits well but dont absorb the terain to well. I rode a Bass and loved it for what it was it was very flickable and easy to jump. Ohh ya and my friend has broken his upper shocklink on his stinkyEek

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 6:19 Quote
twigme wrote:
i know this sounds weirdConfused , but all the long travel konas iv riden i havent liked but all the short travel konas i have liked. The stab i rode just felt to massive and unmanoverable. Iv riden several stinkys and they seem like good freeride bikes that absorb hits well but dont absorb the terain to well. I rode a Bass and loved it for what it was it was very flickable and easy to jump. Ohh ya and my friend has broken his upper shocklink on his stinkyEek
now thts shitty.

O+
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 6:45 Quote
flow5os wrote:
the swing arm on a single pivot is connected to one pivot. On the konas there are 4 pivots.

not smart... kona's are single pivots... look at a dark scarab if you know what that is... i had to explain to people mine was a single pivot, but it essential has 5 pivot points...

i suppose that make it a 5 bar doesn't it? Facepalm

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 9:34 Quote
twigme wrote:
The geo on the Stabs is for really fast terrain. Once it gets techy, they feel like slugs. I was going to buy a Bass, but then I decieded I wanted something with more travel.

O+
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 9:36 Quote
lilwalters wrote:
flow5os wrote:
the swing arm on a single pivot is connected to one pivot. On the konas there are 4 pivots.

not smart... kona's are single pivots... look at a dark scarab if you know what that is... i had to explain to people mine was a single pivot, but it essential has 5 pivot points...

not all single pivot weel path bikes are bad though, for example the turner dhr is one of the best bikes iv ever ridenSmile

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 10:48 Quote
First off I love single pivot bikes but I think you guys are using the term wrong. I would call it a fixed wheel path 4-bar linkage or "walking beam 4-bar linkage" not single pivot.

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 12:18 Quote
lilwalters wrote:
flow5os wrote:

Kona's are a four bar system. It has four components, or bars. The chainstay's, seatstay's, rocker link, and the shock. It technically is a quad pivot, with four pivots, but has the axle path and characteristics of a single pivot, because the axle is connected to a stationary pivot near the BB. Designs like horst link are different because the axle is connected to a moving pivot point, like VPP, and DW link.

O+
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 13:19 Quote
I would agree with AlCapone, when you put better forks on it, it improves things massively! My mate has a stock 07 stinky and the Drop-Offs are quite rubbish to be honest (though this isn't helped by his hard springs)! The small bump performance on my stinky as amazing as well! I have no idea what people are on about (could again, i suppose, be down to the stock components, but also doesn't help if you have the wrong rating of spring rate!

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
Yeah. The stock rear shock is poo. I hate it.

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 13:39 Quote
i dont like how they feel, theyre very progressive, but maybe u like that. the frames tend to snap on big crashes or drops. plus, they come stock woth suspension with little adjustments

O+
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
twigme wrote:
makes sense, Faux-Bar is EXCELLENT for jumping and such whereas it lacks in the small bump absorption....
Kona has some great frames, they also have some bad ones...just like every company.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.060920
Mobile Version of Website