Sram x0 rear der tension problems after rebuild

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Sram x0 rear der tension problems after rebuild
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 16:36 Quote
so I took cleaned my rear der today (full of mud but that's another story) and putting it back together the same way, the cage into the same holes, it doesn't have the same tension any more. I took it apart again and did it as per the sram manual and still. on the largest cog it has only a bit of slack, and on the smallest cog it goes limp.

bike is 2008 wilson 3, sram x0, the one with blackbox/carbon cage/20th anniversary

halp please, I may resort to removing a link in the chain but I shouldn't have to if I didn't change anything

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 16:41 Quote
Check your b-tension screw. Also, check the little spinny mounting tab that gets sandwiched between the mech and the dropout. If you didnt get it on right, thats the issue.

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 16:51 Quote
should I follow the sram way or is there a better way? they say to switch to the small cog, then push the der in to the largest cog and pedal, it seems kind of stupid and innaccurate

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 16:53 Quote
yppah wrote:
should I follow the sram way or is there a better way? they say to switch to the small cog, then push the der in to the largest cog and pedal, it seems kind of stupid and innaccurate

Just do as they say. It works.

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 16:56 Quote
"Do not use the b-adjust screw to adjust the rear derailleur to act as a
chain-tensioning device or to prevent chain suck. This increases the
chain gap causing poor shifting performance."

pretty much contradicts what you said, and the b adjust screw doesn't have enough threads to compensate for the slack I get

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 16:59 Quote
yppah wrote:
"Do not use the b-adjust screw to adjust the rear derailleur to act as a
chain-tensioning device or to prevent chain suck. This increases the
chain gap causing poor shifting performance."

pretty much contradicts what you said, and the b adjust screw doesn't have enough threads to compensate for the slack I get

I never said it would definitely be the issue. If it had insufficient tension though, then this would help.

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 17:01 Quote
there has to be something else wrong because the chain is so slack..

edit: uploading video of how ugly this is

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 20:57 Quote

nice and floppy there.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 21:01 Quote
Thats weird, thats not the derraileur, its moved back as far as it can go...there isnt much more tension you could throw on...

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 21:21 Quote
at first I had the chain threaded wrong through the pulley's cause I was doing it super fast and wanted to finish but I fixed that quick. nothing else has changed...

O+
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 21:42 Quote
yppah wrote:

nice and floppy there.

take a link out.

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 23:17 Quote
I probably will do that tomorrow anyways. I'm just more curious as to why I have to take a link out when I didn't change anything

Posted: May 28, 2009 at 1:11 Quote
Looks really loose .. like it flops around when you let it go..

Posted: May 28, 2009 at 11:51 Quote
i-ride-bike wrote:
Looks really loose .. like it flops around when you let it go..
yeah even without the chain the cage is easy to move around

Posted: May 28, 2009 at 12:39 Quote
took a link out, not much of a difference. do not really want to take two out because the chain length is not the problem!

quoting a review

"The spring tension of the X.0 is also utterly massive: it would likely snap your finger off if you lingered too long in the cage."

seems I have a problemo there

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009918
Mobile Version of Website