Are Hydro Brakes Good For DJ/Street?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Are Hydro Brakes Good For DJ/Street?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 7:25 Quote
Hi, im thinking about getting hydro brkae for my next bike
and i was just wondering if hydro brakes are good for dj street
and i fall alot, lol
will the brakes break or the liquid will spill out when i fall?

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 7:29 Quote
yes Hyrdo brakes are good, they have amazing power and are just awesome
if you get real hydro's like Avid's or Hayes they wont brake. i run Hayes Stroker Rydes and they're awesome

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 7:32 Quote
yea they work awesome. i have formula the one brakes on my DJ, never been better

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 7:37 Quote
dont go crazy with something too powerful or expensive. yes hydro brakes are better, no you are not going to feel the full advantage of something like a formula brake on a DJ bike. go with juicy 3's or 5's tops

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 7:40 Quote
hondarider241 wrote:
if you get real hydro's like Avid's or Hayes they wont brake. i run Hayes Stroker Rydes and they're awesome

you want them to brake.... do you mean break?

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 7:41 Quote
StevePrice wrote:
hondarider241 wrote:

haha yeah. oops:P

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 7:41 Quote
hondarider241 wrote:
StevePrice wrote:
hondarider241 wrote:

haha yeah. oops:P

Razz

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 7:43 Quote
if your concerned about price get a Juciy 3 or 5, if not, get a Stroker, they pull in way straighter so the lever is straight the whole time instead of only once its pulled in

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 7:50 Quote
for dj / street you dont need hydro brakes, they are more expensive than vees or mechanical brakes to begin with and cost more to maintain / repair. for dj / street mechanical brakes are fine as u are using your brake to stop and possibly for stalls, you do not need the modulation that other disciplines require, same with vees...

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 11:46 Quote
I think that disc brakes aren't needed for street. V-brakes will provide more than enough locking power when set up right, much more than a hydraulic disc. Disc brakes are a terrible idea for street in my opinion. The disc can get damaged easier from ledges and such. Disc brakes are great for downhill, cross country and the like, because they still work when wet and offer more modulation, especially at higher speeds. Modulation isn't needed as much when your riding street.

Go with a solid mechanical disc brake, or better yet, a v-brake.

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 11:53 Quote
i got a code 5, but i do lots of abubicas and stuff like that, and was a combination of being tired of the lever hitting my finger and couldnt be arsed to get my juicy 3 rebled. plus my student loan had just come through tup

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 20:36 Quote
I have Strokers right now and there great, they work well and they haven't broke for the year that I have had them

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 20:56 Quote
Avid Elixir R's they are the shit! i hate Hayes now because i ran Hayes stroker ace 8" front 7" rear and a friend runs 6" front and back and the first time i rode his bike i ate shit cuz they are way more powerful and easy to adjust and now i run Elixirs 8" front and 7" rear for DH but when i got to the DJ they are sweet and then when i go trial riding i still kept them the same so for $400 bucks you'll have a brake that lasts. oh BTW i've had them for a month and haven't needed new pads when my old aces would have needed two or three changes already!
just my 2 cents Salute

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 14:24 Quote
Just run a V-brake thats all you really need for street/park stuff, It's also a lot cheaper

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 14:43 Quote
cheataattack wrote:
Just run a V-brake thats all you really need for street/park stuff, It's also a lot cheaper
+1

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010751
Mobile Version of Website