Are Hydro Brakes Good For DJ/Street?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Are Hydro Brakes Good For DJ/Street?
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 3:29 Quote
Cable is better. You can fix a cable if it breaks while out riding. Hard to bleed a brake in a street session. V brakes are pretty much the final word if you do street.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 13:37 Quote
any other opinions?

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 13:46 Quote
Just thought id through something else into the bargain. Magura rim brakes. Hydro. More power. Nicer feel than cable (imo). No disc to damage. And never need to be bled unless u damage them. Plus bleeding is really easy. They are a bitch to set up but once they are u can just forget about them. Plus pad change is easiest in the world. Plug and play.

I think you should look into them at least. Most people who decide to get them love them. Myself included

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 13:47 Quote
I'm happy with my Haye's stoker rydes. Been using them for over a year and they still work great.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 14:18 Quote
run a avid bb7 with a 140mm rotor. the smaller rotor is less prone to getting whacked, and you can really dial in the bb7's any way you like.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 14:24 Quote
yes hydro rim brakes are an option but iv been told to stay away from them cos the break and leak often and plus there not that much better then a nicely set up pair of v-brakes i run some single digit 7 with some Moe v-brake pad on the rear of my trials bike and they work great they should be plenty good for DJ/street they'll lock up your wheel pretty tight and still give you some modulation. i ride mine with a grind for the extra hold you need for trials but for DJ/street theirs no need for a grind and you dont need to get the expensive trials pads almost any clear pad will do great and you can get some from almost any bike shop.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 14:27 Quote
i usppose with a disc you wont have to worry about a buckled wheel where as with a v-brake you have to be able to look after your rear wheel from that street hucking that you may be doign down stair sets and ledges!

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 14:28 Quote
I would go cable for dj Street over hydro because there is very few cons, and alot less problems, and as sherbet said, it's hard to bleed while out booking, and if you only run ONE brake, i think that dependency should out weigh most things.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 14:32 Quote
atomic-angel wrote:
yes hydro rim brakes are an option but iv been told to stay away from them cos the break and leak often and plus there not that much better then a nicely set up pair of v-brakes i run some single digit 7 with some Moe v-brake pad on the rear of my trials bike and they work great they should be plenty good for DJ/street they'll lock up your wheel pretty tight and still give you some modulation. i ride mine with a grind for the extra hold you need for trials but for DJ/street theirs no need for a grind and you dont need to get the expensive trials pads almost any clear pad will do great and you can get some from almost any bike shop.

You don't want your wheels to lock up when youre on riding on dirt...

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 14:34 Quote
hydro all day
i used to run cable and hydro kicks the shit out of cable
so much smoother
and i have never had to bleed or do anything to my hydro
no cable stretch or frayed cables none of that crap to deal with

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 14:43 Quote
bloodypalace wrote:
atomic-angel wrote:

You don't want your wheels to lock up when youre on riding on dirt...

yes i know but for riding street if you doing stale type moves then yes. it a compromise v-brakes still give you some modulation not as much as disc but disc don't give you as much lock up as v-brakes its all about personal preference

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 14:44 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Cable is better. You can fix a cable if it breaks while out riding. Hard to bleed a brake in a street session. V brakes are pretty much the final word if you do street.

I wouldn't say so, a mechanical or hydraulic disk brake is probably ideal. V-Brakes are good and all but when you start bending rims V-Brakes get very very annoying.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 14:48 Quote
but if you bending rims often maybe you need to get your spoke tensioned more often, might need better spokes or even stronger rims or your wheel might not be build properly

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 14:52 Quote
atomic-angel wrote:
but if you bending rims often maybe you need to get your spoke tensioned more often, might need better spokes or even stronger rims or your wheel might not be build properly

Uh not really, V-Brake rims aren't as strong as disk rims. And not only that, I have never seen/ridden or heard of a DJ bike with a perfectly trued and tensioned rear wheel. Street and dirt jumping is abusive, wheels don't stay trued very long.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 15:12 Quote
foxmtbing wrote:
atomic-angel wrote:

Uh not really, V-Brake rims aren't as strong as disk rims. And not only that, I have never seen/ridden or heard of a DJ bike with a perfectly trued and tensioned rear wheel. Street and dirt jumping is abusive, wheels don't stay trued very long.

you do have a good point there it depends on how you ride and you can get some pretty strong v-brake rims like dx-32

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018828
Mobile Version of Website