Are Hydro Brakes Good For DJ/Street?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Are Hydro Brakes Good For DJ/Street?
Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 12:24 Quote
[Quote="chillined"]
foxmtbing wrote:
atomic-angel wrote:
but if you bending rims often maybe you need to get your spoke tensioned more often, might need better spokes or even stronger rims or your wheel might not be build properly

Uh not really, V-Brake rims aren't as strong as disk rims. And not only that, I have never seen/ridden or heard of a DJ bike with a perfectly trued and tensioned rear wheel. Street and dirt jumping is abusive, wheels don't stay trued very long.[/Quote
V-Brakes are stronger by the way. You can't compare Hydraulic Disk brakes with Cable V's. Street and Dirt jumping IS Abusive, but you shouldn't even be running hydro with street. I can see why you'd use them for Jumping, but for street... I don't know why. Disk brakes are usually heavier and less powerful than V-brakes. And V-brakes are so much cheaper to maintain and replace than disk brakes. Why not save your money?

Looking at your Rim issue, I agree. However, in MY opinion, if you're going to ride street or dirt jump, you should LEARN how to true a wheel, because you're going to be bending a lot of wheels.

i disagree with that bold'd statement right there , having run a hydro and riding street for over a year now and its perfect , almost pushes you to be cleaner if your low on cash cause it races through your mind if you eat it your prob goin loose your cablehose, the breaking power is the best for stall's and hydro's are way better feeling and better breaking power. but now saying with this statement there not even needed when your running highend dh hydros on a street build because that is simpily more matenince

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 12:29 Quote
xt-shreder wrote:
wow some need to get new rims
over rotated will under rotated you just fall

What lightweight rim doesn't bend from a good over rotated three? Even 20" rims do.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 12:34 Quote
sherbet wrote:
xt-shreder wrote:

What lightweight rim doesn't bend from a good over rotated three? Even 20" rims do.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 12:34 Quote
sherbet wrote:
xt-shreder wrote:

very true , i've seen 24" single tracks tacoing just on whips that wernt fully brought back , a rim from a fit park 2 warped badily on a tail whip attempted and i went through meny rim's on under rotated 180's/ over rotated.

edit- xt even if its under how fast you are spinning and the rim is suddenily stopping your rim is bound to get knocked out of true

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 12:35 Quote
xt-shreder wrote:
sherbet wrote:
xt-shreder wrote:

You realize underrotating and over rotating are equally as damaging, right? Go for a 360, land a 450 or a 270. Same damage.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 12:37 Quote
sherbet wrote:
xt-shreder wrote:
sherbet wrote:

You realize underrotating and over rotating are equally as damaging, right? Go for a 360, land a 450 or a 270. Same damage.
when you land 270 you tend to just tip over because you spinning that way already

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 12:37 Quote
xt-shreder wrote:
sherbet wrote:
xt-shreder wrote:

when you land 270 you tend to just tip over because you spinning that way already

Facepalm

You'll "tip" over either way, as you're 90 degrees from the direction you were moving in.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 12:52 Quote
sherbet wrote:
xt-shreder wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Facepalm

You'll "tip" over either way, as you're 90 degrees from the direction you were moving in.
in physics left or right doesn't make a difference, it is force and angle i think .

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 12:57 Quote
Mazekwon wrote:
sherbet wrote:
xt-shreder wrote:

Facepalm

in physics left or right doesn't make a difference, it is force and angle i think .

Correct. 90 degrees is 90 degrees.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 17:11 Quote
but its the 90' plus the way your rotating, if you land 270 on a 3 you tend to be leaning and just fall
if you 450 you tend to slam your rear rim into the ground

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 17:17 Quote
that is just the way that the force and angle TEND to go, i know what your saying but Sherbet is right. if i punch you in the face with my left hand or right hand it isn't going to do less damage depending on the fist, just how i hit.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 19:21 Quote
Do people even read before they post???

An out of true rim does not mean a V will rub. It MAY, but that depends on how close the pad is set to the rim. I have failed mant 3 attempts and never tacoed a rim, not even tweaked it enough to give me a hassel with my brakes. I have damaged rims enough to give me troubles, but as I said, I dissconnect the brake and ride home. At that point the rim is too baffed to ride anyhow, so weather I had Vees or disks at that point is irrelevant. What comes to mind is cost. If you want to be a trendy guy and have the cash to run hydro's go for it. Will they work better? If you can maintain your own bike then no, they will not offer any advantage (unless your all wet). BUT if you are a bit short of cash and woud rather go ride then pick up an extra shift, then damaged disks, snapped levers and ruptured hoses should make you think twice. I have snapped more than one lever, hell if I'm going to pay more than $10 for a used lever. $35 if my wife is out and I have some money she dosn't know about.... Most MTBs do not come with V mounts simply because kids want disks. They think more money means better. Manufacturers play to trend whores.

Not that this matters, the guy CAN'T even run Vees so who cares what he does with his money?

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 15:27 Quote
ricar and v brakes for the win.

Posted: Jul 19, 2009 at 13:07 Quote
no brake are better, never come out of alignment, lightest and cheapest

Posted: Jul 19, 2009 at 13:37 Quote
xt-shreder wrote:
no brake are better, never come out of alignment, lightest and cheapest
lol but that wasn't even a contender it was disk or V

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020469
Mobile Version of Website