08/09 Katmandu... Title Changed, Again

PB Forum :: Norco
08/09 Katmandu... Title Changed, Again
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 at 7:20 Quote
Alright, So I'm looking to buy a bike and at my Local Bike shop they have an 09 Katmandu for like 509CAD, and I've heard the Katmandu's are just terrible bikes.

All Im really looking for is a bike for moderate DH/FR. Basically a beginners bike.

Posted: Jun 8, 2009 at 14:50 Quote
Well your right the Katmandu is not the greatest bike.. but it depends on your budget. If your looking for a moderate DH/FR bike then you are looking at around 1500$ min for a new bike, and maybe 1000$ used. However, if you are looking for a bike that you can pick up and learn things on as your first big bike and your budget is around 500-600 then see if you can find something used.. or go for the katmandu.

Its not the greatest bike in terms of some of the other bikes out there.. but it`ll help you learn the basics.

Posted: Jun 8, 2009 at 14:59 Quote
ACtually Yeah, This is my first "Big" Bike really. Today I kind of had my eye on a Mountaineer (probably spelled wrong) Im not going to be doing any hardcore jumps or stuff, mostly just moderate trail riding to pick up the basic skills.

Posted: Jun 8, 2009 at 15:04 Quote
no man.. go for the Katmandu.. it has way better specs and is a better frame to build onto in the future.. spend the extra dough now so that you save some money in the long run, cuz trust me upgrading costs alot and so does replacing broken parts!

Posted: Jun 8, 2009 at 15:10 Quote
Hmm, Yeah I probably should. Thanks for the info Wink

Posted: Jun 8, 2009 at 16:17 Quote
no problem man.. good luck with everything

Posted: Jun 8, 2009 at 17:57 Quote
Hey, Do you know the Difference of the 08 Katmandu and 09? Besides price? The 09 one is like $200 like, 680 with tax and everything and the 08 is like 550 with tax. I'd much rather get the 08.

Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 6:45 Quote
Well the reason its much cheaper is cuz its a year old.. your lbs is trying to get rid of excess stock... hence the discounted price. I took a look at both of them for you and from what I can see.. the 2009 is definately the way to go despite the price. You get newer components and one thing you learn pretty quick is that the latest technologies get pushed down the line slowly.. so what used to the Dirt Jumper 1 in 2004 may actually be the Dirt Jumper 2 or 3 now.. so the 2009 might have some technological advances on it that you might enjoy...

Id say 2009 but if your budget says 2008 then go with that.. at least your out riding ...

The Dirt Jumper was only used as a reference for my analogy.. its the same with many companies and products tho!

Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 7:08 Quote
I think you would be better off going used man. You can get way more bike for that same cost. I think what you will find is you will be wanting to upgrade very quickly from the Katmandu. In other words, if you start out with better components the bike will suit your needs for a longer time. I started biking last year and have upgraded bikes 3 times, welcome to the biking community. Good luck.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 11:44 Quote
get a Rival 850 new$ dj3 forks and all the rigingSmile i have one and its a tank! and i started out on it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.030331
Mobile Version of Website