CARBON DH BARS good/bad

PB Forum :: Downhill
CARBON DH BARS good/bad
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 13:37 Quote
iv just snapped my carbon fibre controll tech house dh bars at fort bill at the weekend i crashed at the time but it wasnt a big "off"
carbon fibre is supposed to have the tensile strength of 10 times that of steel for any given weight
the break is streight and cleen anyone had probs with them (carbon bars)
i love the weight saving but is it worth it or have i bought a BUM SET ??

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 13:44 Quote
freeride-idiot wrote:
iv just snapped my carbon fibre controll tech house dh bars at fort bill at the weekend i crashed at the time but it wasnt a big "off"
carbon fibre is supposed to have the tensile strength of 10 times that of steel for any given weight
No you didn't just get a bum set. Alot of my dad's friends run carbon bars and theres break all the time and they never end up going back. when you spend so much money to make your DH bike a tank that can stand up to anything i wouldn't put anything carbon on it if it was my choice because i have heard of many many carbon peice breaking on Mountain bike's any where from the seat post to the carbon top tube to some of the newer carbon forks. i know you are just talking about carbon bars but in my oppinion i think you should deffinattly keep the carbon off a DH bike that is built to handel a lot.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 13:53 Quote
any bar can break.....some just can take more abuse than others... carbon not so much. especially when it gets tagged hard.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 13:53 Quote
yeah im starting to think that too iv got a carbo cage recently fitted carbon seatpost xo carbon shifter xo carbon mech with carbon jockeys and backing plate im starting to wish i hadent splashed out on them nowCry
Rainey94 wrote:
freeride-idiot wrote:
No you didn't just get a bum set. Alot of my dad's friends run carbon bars and theres break all the time and they never end up going back. when you spend so much money to make your DH bike a tank that can stand up to anything i wouldn't put anything carbon on it if it was my choice because i have heard of many many carbon peice breaking on Mountain bike's any where from the seat post to the carbon top tube to some of the newer carbon forks. i know you are just talking about carbon bars but in my oppinion i think you should deffinattly keep the carbon off a DH bike that is built to handel a lot.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 13:54 Quote
exactly. the only thing with carbon is that it isn't going to bend, it will just break.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 13:57 Quote
freeride-idiot wrote:
yeah im starting to think that too iv got a carbo cage recently fitted carbon seatpost xo carbon shifter xo carbon mech with carbon jockeys and backing plate im starting to wish i hadent splashed out on them nowCry
Rainey94 wrote:
freeride-idiot wrote:
No man its not everything that is gonna break:P its only the stuff you put alot of preasure onSmile naahh but seriously that stuff shouldn't break but barss on the other hand tend to break more frequintly when are made of carbon fiber.

i think a frase comes to mind "very light-load of shite"

odin333 wrote:
exactly. the only thing with carbon is that it isn't going to bend, it will just break.
Exactly right once its pushed it will break not bend

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 14:02 Quote
i was going to buy some carbon handlebars...i think i just change my mind...

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 14:03 Quote
I don't have anything against carbon stuff on freeride/race bikes unless it's structural. Carbon bars are a bad idea!

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 14:05 Quote
freeride-idiot wrote:
i think a frase comes to mind "very light-load of shite"

was this your first time you crash with this handlebars???

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 16:26 Quote
photo
https://ep1.pinkbike.org/photo/3503/pbpic3503993.jpg

both bikes are running Syncros Bulk carbon bars for full on racing. Crashed a couple of times and it doesn't show any signs of fatigue.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 16:28 Quote
scrider wrote:
photo

both bikes are running Syncros Bulk carbon bars for full on racing. Crashed a couple of times and it doesn't show any signs of fatigue.
Yes we are not saying they break at the first sign of stress we are saying they have a much higher tendancy to break.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 16:33 Quote
I would trust carbon bars for DH about as far as I could throw them - with my right arm (I'm left handed).

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 16:33 Quote
Rainey94 wrote:
scrider wrote:
photo

Yes we are not saying they break at the first sign of stress we are saying they have a much higher tendancy to break.

was just giving my experience with carbon DH bars thats all. i'm not arguing the fact that it does have a higher tendency to break... anyway no worries. we're on the same page on that.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.029769
Mobile Version of Website