Best chainguide

PB Forum :: Downhill
Best chainguide
Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 8:57 Quote
nicolai-helius-freerider wrote:
photo

the new e thirteen lg1+ for sure

Hey Helius,
If your LG1+ is still in the stock angle position, you should pull it back into the Narrow position...keeps a little more tension on the chain and the lower roller out of the way as well. Other than that, looks pretty good to me!

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:06 Quote
[Quoten]
ctd07 wrote:
philw86 wrote:
ctd07 wrote:
Just a note from my experiences....

If running 2009 Saint (and I think SLX too) then using any chain device with its own bash [this includes E-13 SRS[+], Gamut e.t.c.] will not work very well, your chain will stay on for the most part but over rough stuff it will most likely get jammed between your bash ring and chain ring as well as knackering your top wear plate [...] increased width in the chain mounting tabs of these new Shimano heavy duty cranks [...]

All of our top level racers that run new 09 Saints must run the LG1+ due to the increased tab width. You can alleviate some of the gap between the chain and the bash by using a standard step (0.6mm) chainring vs. the stock Saint ring, but there is still the slight chance to jam the chain. The LG1+ design takes the tab width out of the picture, and is certainly strong enough for downhill racing.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

Yer - I think it was you I spoke to about this previously, its really the cranks fault not the chain-guide's as the guide came first! - I'm going to go into my old college sometime next week or the one after and see if I can sweet talk them into machining the bash for me - I'll post pics if it gets done!

[/Quoten]

Sorry to grave dig an old thread, but I said I'd post pics when I got it done so here they are, I ended up doing the machining myself, wasn't exactly taxing...

This is basically what you need to do if running M810/5 Saint cranks with a non-Shimano bash guard, I put a 1.25mm step into the guard which I worked out should make the needed difference and stop the chain coming off ever again:
photo

photo

Posted: Sep 13, 2009 at 2:06 Quote
In my opinion id run a e13, though they are pretty expensive. £110 for a kit, if your on more of a budget black spire do a range which arn't the lightest but are easy to install and keep the chain on 99% of the time. Not as flash or pro as e13, but does the job just as well in my opinion.

Posted: Sep 13, 2009 at 11:32 Quote
On the topic of the new Saint m810/5 cranks. I was looking into buying myself a set of these as they are light and seem to be proven strong, and i run a Lg1 right now with the taco bash and a single ring in the front. Will this not work with those cranks? or is it just a full bashgaurd where the problems come in? Also the taco bash doesnt even mount to the cranks themselves so i dont see how the cranks could affect this at all?

Posted: Sep 13, 2009 at 11:51 Quote
canadianfreerida wrote:
On the topic of the new Saint m810/5 cranks. I was looking into buying myself a set of these as they are light and seem to be proven strong, and i run a Lg1 right now with the taco bash and a single ring in the front. Will this not work with those cranks? or is it just a full bashgaurd where the problems come in? Also the taco bash doesnt even mount to the cranks themselves so i dont see how the cranks could affect this at all?

nah, the LG1 will work fine, its possible to get an SRS to work fairly well, but I found my chain came off and got firmly jammed between the chainring and bash guard a few times, which when you've paid £90 for a chainguide isn't acceptable, the only reason why it happened is because the plastic bash guard flexes and allows the chain to fit into a gap 2.5mm narrower than its width (between the chainring and bash guard) - I've now reduced the gap to 3.75mm narrower than the chain (1.5mm gap between edge of chain and bash) so it should hopefully not happen again....Blank Stare

Posted: Sep 13, 2009 at 11:55 Quote
If you're looking for a bargain...
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/truvativ%20boxguide.jpg

Never dropped a chain with it and still reasonably light

Posted: Sep 13, 2009 at 12:02 Quote
Craiglers wrote:
If you're looking for a bargain...
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/truvativ%20boxguide.jpg

Never dropped a chain with it and still reasonably light

tis true that, I never dropped a chain with mine when I had it (except when it broke one time), I got my Truvativ guide for £20 so was super pi$$ed off when my £90 E-13 started dropping my chain and jamming it upReally Mad

Posted: Sep 13, 2009 at 13:45 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
NS-FreeRider wrote:

I ride Saint 2009 cranks with the saint bash, but then with Gamut P40. And I haven't any problems with it.

...... yer!Very confused tup

You would likely encounter problems if using the Gamut bash though....

I just read this thread and thought I`d share my experience. I have a Demo 7 which came with a Gamut chain device on Truvative cranks. I bought a set of 2009 Saint cranks and had to use the Gamut bash as the Saint one was too big in diameter. I had to file off a bit of the Gamut bash ring so it would fit over the crank arm but have not experienced any chain problems. In fact I have never dropped a chain EVER with this device(which is something my mates with E13 LG1`s cannot claim)and I have raced with this and spent time riding in the French Alps.

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 10:03 Quote
i run e 13 srs it is dear but 1 of the best e13 for metup

Posted: Mar 25, 2010 at 10:33 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
mehow1993 wrote:
dog lg slaying is the in thing, get your game up to par
Get em before the hair does?
Old enough to breath, old enough to breed?
Prevent teenage pregnancy, f*ck a 12 yr old?

k, topic time. Wink
Anyone have experience with mrp? I haven't heard much at all about em. =/
i had a mrp on my demo, it does what it says on the tin, keeps the chain on. but as far a build quality i would always go with e13, the MRP worked fine just wieghed about 3 tonnes, i have a SRS atm but hoping to convers it to a lg1 soon

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018433
Mobile Version of Website